Sponsored by:

Specific Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Default Specific Electrical Gremlins

I know there are lot of posts but specific to my situation man it is crazy.

I was on vacation when this first started...... ironically I was on I95 in South Carolina.....which is rougher then most roads here up north. The car would kick out of cruise control. The dash lights flickered as it kicked out. It did this on 95 mostly going and coming back. One time coming back for a split second at 5AM the car shut off at 80 mph and then came back to life.

I am now getting immobilizer security issues. Car won't start, I open the door reset the process, but the key in the security slot, nothing consistent but it will start after I play with it.

Today the dash just shut down the radio turned off but it kept running. All came back on in a split second. The radio did a reboot to get sirus back on.

I am going to disconnect the battery, and if that does not work going to get reflashed. It's an early 14 17,000 miles and no issues what so ever. Sounds like a bad ground but I doubt that is the case.

Will be trading it in a few months and frankly would like to get it figured out so the new owner can enjoy it out of the box.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:06 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Bummer! Hope it is an easy "re-flash" as you suggest. Bad/loose ground? Let us know how it works out.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:25 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
Bummer! Hope it is an easy "re-flash" as you suggest. Bad/loose ground? Let us know how it works out.
this is my bet. had a similar problem on my c-5. sputter and close to stall when accelerating, even @ interstate speeds.

cultprit was a pinched wire between the bell housing and firewall. result was a ground out that tried to kill everything.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
Disconnected the battery last week for 30 minutes and ALL IS NOW well for almost a week!!

Here's what I was experiencing:

1. Car would go into immobilization mode; would not start. Had to get out of the car, allow it to relock and reenter; Or push the starter with the door open; or put the key in the steering column. Then I got a theft warning message until the next restart.

2. Cruise control would kick out.

3. Dash lights would flicker

4. I got DIC messages to close the drivers window or the passenger window.

5. Would start the car and the radio would default to AM.

6. HUD would default to another setting.

7. Ventilation selection would be different then when I parked the car.

8. Car would "hick up" while driving... gauges went dead car would sputter.

9. Windshield wipers would come on and the radio stopped.

10. Started getting check rear axle messages. Did check the fluid it was fine.

It's like the thing was haunted. I put 16K trouble free mile on it and then all this started happening randomly.

The battery disconnect plus touching the cables seems to have worked. Not one issue since and I was at the track all day yesterday.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:38 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Disconnected the battery last week for 30 minutes and ALL IS NOW well for almost a week!!

Here's what I was experiencing:

1. Car would go into immobilization mode; would not start. Had to get out of the car, allow it to relock and reenter; Or push the starter with the door open; or put the key in the steering column. Then I got a theft warning message until the next restart.

2. Cruise control would kick out.

3. Dash lights would flicker

4. I got DIC messages to close the drivers window or the passenger window.

5. Would start the car and the radio would default to AM.

6. HUD would default to another setting.

7. Ventilation selection would be different then when I parked the car.

8. Car would "hick up" while driving... gauges went dead car would sputter.

9. Windshield wipers would come on and the radio stopped.

10. Started getting check rear axle messages. Did check the fluid it was fine.

It's like the thing was haunted. I put 16K trouble free mile on it and then all this started happening randomly.

The battery disconnect plus touching the cables seems to have worked. Not one issue since and I was at the track all day yesterday.
Congrats. Glad you fixed your issue without a trip to the dealer. I guess disconnecting the battery is analogous to resetting a modem by unplugging it and then plugging it back in.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Congrats. Glad you fixed your issue without a trip to the dealer. I guess disconnecting the battery is analogous to resetting a modem by unplugging it and then plugging it back in.
It's analogous to re-booting an entire rack of servers. Typical high-end cars have over 70 embedded processors running over 100 million lines of code. It's no wonder there are occasional glitches.

Get notified of new replies

To Specific Electrical Gremlins

Quick Reply: Specific Electrical Gremlins