Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curb Alert hard reset?

Old 05-25-2015, 10:28 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Curb Alert hard reset?

I had to move the sensor from underneath the bumper to the grill because I could not find a spot where it would work while clearing the OEM Z06 splitter. Now I can't get the thing into calibration mode. I started the car once and got the chirp, but since then, nothing. I've tried holding the red button down, and disconnecting the power, etc, but nothing works. It is like the memory is messed up. I put a meter on it and it is definitely getting power, and there isn't a break in the circuit. Has anyone else experienced this and is if so, we're you able to fix it? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
MyGreenVette (09-30-2016)
Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Also, does anyone have an email for Vehicle Positioning LLC? Thanks.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:34 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Long shot, but it possible one of the other wires is not fully plugged.

John
Old 05-25-2015, 11:53 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by elegant

John
nope... But thanks
Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Originally Posted by zbrett
Also, does anyone have an email for Vehicle Positioning LLC? Thanks.
Try: sales@vehicleposition.com
Old 05-26-2015, 12:25 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Will do. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2015, 01:19 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

the unit remembers for 20 min without power, leave unconnected for longer than that....
Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glen e
the unit remembers for 20 min without power, leave unconnected for longer than that....
I left it unconnected for weeks between moving it from under the bumper to the grill and for more than 20 minutes at a time. No change.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:52 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Just spoke with Bill at Vehicle Positioning. Super nice guy. Ran through some trouble shooting steps and determined there is definitely something wrong. He is sending a new one out, and I'll give it another try next Saturday.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:23 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Bill sent out the replacement unit as promised and I swapped it out this morning. New unit works as advertised, though I haven't had a chance to calibrate it (pouring rain outside). Vehicle Positioning is a company that stands behind its Curb Alert product. Great customer service.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

How about a picture of where you mounted it would on the grille, I have the same splitter installed.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:05 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
How about a picture of where you mounted it would on the grille, I have the same splitter installed.
The same spot a lot of people have used. It is a tight fit, but at the same time, not all that noticeable.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2015, 03:07 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
This doesn't seem to erase the calibration memory. I wanted to recalibrate mine, to a slightly greater distance, so I removed the fuse and let it sit for 30 minutes. Reconnected it, started the car to get charging current, and shut it down. Pressed the button to calibrate, and nothing happened.

Tried again, waited for another half an hour. Still nothing when pressing the button. But this time I happened to walk in front of the car afterwards, and it beeped 3 times. I checked the calibration, and it's still at the 20" mark it was after the install and initial calibration.

Waiting 20 minutes appears not to reset it. Which is probably good. You wouldn't want to have to recalibrate it every time you disconnect the battery to work on the car.

So the question remains: How DO you reset it to factory fresh? Guess I'll send an email and find out.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:26 PM
AUandAG
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to recalibrate with the engine running.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:19 PM
MyGreenVette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

John
I just got my Curb Alert from another supplier and after having to relocate the sensor, seemed to have the same problems as ZBRETT.
Actually did a Google search and found this thread.
Like ZBRETT I also had to move my sensor because I added the the hidden license plate unit that hides the plate when at a car show.

After moving the sensor and the wire I had to pull off the main module inside under the glove box to get at the end of the sensor cable. After putting everything back nothing worked!! So I thought I was looking for a HARD RESET procedure too!

After reading all of this and ELEGANT's post I started to play with the connections to be certain everything was okay.
To my surprise when I moved the wire and connector going to the buzzer, the buzzer would turn on and off intermittently like something was broken.

I tried to find someone to call from Curb Alert / BRANDMOTION and could not find anything! That needs to be resolved!

Not wanting to go through all the fun of removing everything for the return, I checked all connections again and found that power was present at the main module. While I was doing this the sound came on and off so I looked at the connection of the buzzer. At the buzzer end it was good but the other end that plugged into the main module was loose.
(It gets deep from here so beware!)

Getting irritated, I removed the fuse and then removed the 4 screws of the main module.
(I have years of experience with electronics and a degree so in I went).

I noticed that the buzzer plug was moving from side to side inside the connector. This probably happened when I removed the unit to reinstall the USB connection. Probably also happened to ZBRETT too!

I looked closer at the open end of the buzzer socket and saw that the two side contacts were spread apart and not making contact with the buzzer plug. After removing the buzzer plug, I took a small Exacto knife and gently moved both contacts closer to each other into the center and retried the plug. It was much tighter now! So I put everything back together and inserted the fuse and it was back to working perfectly!

If any reps from this company are listening, they might suggest using a more durable receptacle for the buzzer receptacle. This would help to prevent recalls like ZBRETT and myself. I would imagine we were not the first to experience this.

The other thing I would suggest is to use the 3M Command double sided removable tape sections to mount the main module and the buzzer. This would enable easier removal and replacement if required.

Whew! (This is why alcohol was invented!)

My thanks to everyone here!

Last edited by MyGreenVette; 09-30-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:42 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

curb alert > junk alert
Old 10-01-2016, 10:18 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C7Jake
curb alert > junk alert

As much as this pains me....

Put in a camera and never calibrate again.

Elmer
Old 10-01-2016, 10:29 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
much as it pains me

Last edited by C8Jake; 10-01-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Curb Alert hard reset?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Curb Alert hard reset?