Sponsored by:

2016 - FE2 Magnetic Suspension Ride Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 02:29 AM
TorqueDriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 - FE2 Magnetic Suspension Ride Control

I've placed an order for a 2016 non-Z51 coupe with the FE2 MSRC option. Since the option of ordering a C7 with the FE2 Magnetic Suspension Ride Control - in a non-Z51 configuration is new for 2016......I was just curious as to how many others are choosing to do so and your thoughts behind it.

I have an appreciation for all configurations since they are all personal choices and come with their own benefits/trade-offs. Just interested in the opinions of fellow forum members on this new option.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:49 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueDriver
I've placed an order for a 2016 non-Z51 coupe with the FE2 MSRC option. Since the option of ordering a C7 with the FE2 Magnetic Suspension Ride Control - in a non-Z51 configuration is new for 2016......I was just curious as to how many others are choosing to do so and your thoughts behind it.

I have an appreciation for all configurations since they are all personal choices and come with their own benefits/trade-offs. Just interested in the opinions of fellow forum members on this new option.
We would have ordered my wife's '14 with MRC if it had been available then.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:20 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Great move !!!!! IF ( a big if sometimes) GM has dialed in the FE2 properly, the non Z51 mag ride should deliver the best all around street ride of any Stingray/Z06 in the C7 offerings. My 06 C6 had it, it came standard on my 12 CTS-V, came standard on the C6 ZR1 and comes standard on the C7 Z06, 2016 CTS-V, 2016 ATS-V. Most of us that have /had mag ride, wouldn't order a new vette without it. The ability to instantly firm up or smooth out the ride, especially on pot hole broken pavement that most of us drive on at least some of the time, is fabulous. Glad to see you didn't listen to the penny wise pound foolish crowd.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:56 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

It's not an option I would normally buy but I have to with the "Spice Red" design package. I'm hoping I like it.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I had mag ride on my C6, was not available on the C7's base suspension. The C7 suspension/frame is so good probably will not purchase magnetic ride on my next car (2017). Depends on the price???

Last edited by Larry/car; 05-26-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

We have 2014 loaded Stingray that we purchased in November 2013 that we love. We are street cruisers and we love the car for touring. When we order our next one most likely it will be with MRC. If I wanted to track the car the Z51 option would have been a must, but for street driver it seems to be an oxymoron. A harsher ride and significant expense. But, that is the joy of the car, get what you want!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:52 AM
ATC
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I definitely would have ordered it on my '15 if it had been available.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

If I had it to do again, I'd skip the A8 and get the mag ride.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:32 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

1. There is a wide difference in ride stiffness on the 2014 Z51 with Magnetic Selective Ride Control between Tour, Sport and Track settings.

2. Since the non-Z51 (sometimes called Base) car has not had MSRC available until 2016, nobody really knows if 1. above is true for the 2016 base car.

3. I had MSRC on my 2006 base Corvette and the difference in ride stiffness between the two (not 3 like now) settings was less pronounced than the 2014.

So, what to make of all this? If I were ordering a 2016 base Corvette, I would order MSRC on my faith that GM Engineering will get it right. Plus, there are many other benefits of MSRC and it's fun to tell friends and other people interested in your car that Ferrari licenses this technology from GM.

You will LOVE this car!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:09 PM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was hoping GM would offer the electric limited slip rearend with the magride on the base car. Also wish they had left the 18/19 tires on the car instead of making it mandatory to have the rougher riding 19/20 tires. I always thought the reason behind magride on a base car was to have the smoothest riding vette with the ability to dial up a little more sporty ride using the magride.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

The MSRC on my 2014 Z51 in sport mode rides awesome!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Good move IMO
For me, MSRC is the one option I've been waiting for GM to offer on the non Z51.

As others have mentioned, we'll see if it's configured the same as 2014 /2015 model years w/Z51
The New MSRC is designated FE2 without Z51.
FE4 is for the Z51 w/the electric Differential.

Either way, it's great to select a softer or stiffer ride.
But that's a side benefit and not what it's all about.
In each different mode, the MSRC suspension controls the shock in each wheel independently as each wheel reacts different to forces put on the vehicle according to speed, cornering and road surface to keep the vehicle in control.
The MSRC shocks are not static like regular shocks which only react one way to forces placed upon them.
There are infinite changes in milliseconds to each MSRC shock in reaction to what it senses as the vehicle is moving.
Each MSRC mode has different settings for softer/slower or stiffer/faster reactions with different high and low parameters in each mode.

I have MRC on my C6 and there is a difference in the 2 settings.
I agree, it's not a dramatic difference, but it is a Noticeable difference.
But again, it's about the handling/control characteristics MRC/MSRC offers, especially at higher speeds on rough roads.

Not crazy about buying the bigger wheels in order to get FE2 MSRC, but 18"-19" C7 wheels should fit, unless GM changed something else we don't know about yet.

Good Luck with your new ride
Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

There is a lot of planning on the way option packages are offered on a vehicle. It is all about profit. Do not think every little detail was run through the marketing arm as well as software simulations based on prior purchase history and how offering a desirable option will require the purchase of additional ones that result in higher profit margins for GM.

It is all about the $$$$$'s...
Old 05-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
There is a lot of planning on the way option packages are offered on a vehicle. It is all about profit. Do not think every little detail was run through the marketing arm as well as software simulations based on prior purchase history and how offering a desirable option will require the purchase of additional ones that result in higher profit margins for GM.

It is all about the $$$$$'s...
on this one.
Thinking it over I can only presume bigger wheels are needed to go with the FE2 option depending how the MSRC is programmed.
But now IMO, it's time to consider adding cost of the bigger wheels in order to get FE2 and NPP which I also want.
Probably looking at plus /minus $6K for those 3 things.
With that in mind, once all the 2016 pricing is out for option packages, Z51 might still be the way to go Cost wise.
With a Z51 package, you Already get the big wheels & NPP.
Now adding MSRC, yes, it's probably more total price than going with the FE2/bigger wheels & NPP.
But, IF it's not significantly more, I Personally would say forget FE2 and spend for the Z51 w/MSRC.
Yes, I'm falling into GM's money option packaging.
And as much as I Only want to add FE2 to a non Z51, I'll get more for my Money with Z51/MSRC considering everything included in Z51, bigger Brakes etc etc.
All I wanted was to add FE2 .... It's a Trap I tell Ya, a Trap
Decisions, decisions, Time will tell when the numbers come out
Old 05-27-2015, 09:45 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Until pricing is officially published, no one can really tell. Just my $0.02 worth, but I really doubt any of the stiffer springs, anti-roll bars, ELSD, and coolers will be included with FE2. It will simply be the magnetic ride shocks with the 19/20" tire package.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:40 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 order guide, No Prices but FE2 is on page 34 - 2/2

FE2 NEW! Magnetic Selective Ride Control
1 - Not available with (QG6/QX1/QX3/RPK) 18" front and 19" rear wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2016-Corvette-Order-Guide.pdf (583.9 KB, 196 views)

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 - FE2 Magnetic Suspension Ride Control

Quick Reply: 2016 - FE2 Magnetic Suspension Ride Control