Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Museum Delivery + Destination Fee?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Museum Delivery + Destination Fee?

Our son just graduated from college.
We promised him our old C5 vert, but gave that to our daughter yrs ago.

He just landed a great job w/ a great salary.
So he's looking trade in his Ford Fusion for 2016 C7 vert 2LT Z51, similar optioned like our current 2014 C7 vert.

Everyone raves about the Museum Delivery, so we're looking into it.

But adding that $990 fee + $995 Destination Fee, sorta don't make sense, esp if we're flying in to pick up directly at the Factory.

I know, most of you will say to suck it up since it's a great experience.
But pls, no flaming nor social commentary about what a dirtbag cheapskate he is, for not wanting to pay GM's "extortion" fees (his words) of $2K for picking it up directly at the factory.

So why does GM charges this $990 fee , (Besides that they can)
while BMW, Mercedes, & Audi doesn't for their European Delivery at the factory?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Been discussed many times, your answer is, it still gets loaded on a truck and trucked across the street to the museum. It's a flat fee no matter how close or far it's delivered in the lower 48. While I agree it's ridiculous to charge that much to go 1/2 a mile but it is what it is.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The delivery fee is the same no matter where in the country it is delivered to. So one block or 3,000 miles all pay the same.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Unlike the others you mention, the National Corvette Museum is a 501(c)3 organization. It is not owned or funded by GM. The $990 R8C option helps fund the NCM. The $995 deliver fee is a flat rate that is charged wherever in the U.S. the C7 is delivered. That can be at the local Bowling Green Chevy dealer or one in California. Vehicles for NCM delivery are put on trucks and shipped to the NCM, even though it is basically across the street.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:06 PM
LisaVette98
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Also the $990 fee is split between the museum and the plant since they also offer a tour of the plant. I'm not sure who/how the plant workers get their portion but I know they enjoy speaking with the people that tour and I would recommend museum delivery!! Had an awesome time at mine!!!
Old 06-01-2015, 02:17 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

It’s worth it! Great experience, but those two fees are only part of it OP.

In my case it was taking 4 days off of work, (in my union no work no pay about $ 600 then ) add in 2 air fares from Albany NY to Nashville, then add a total of 4 nights in a hotel and four days of on the road meals. 1 day of rental car when we arrived Nashville! (We took a nice leisurely drive home and made a couple stops at tourist traps)

*****YES IT WAS STILL WORTH IT***.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:53 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I'm sure the transportation contract is put out for bid for each contract cycle and low bidder wins the business. I suspect that the prospective bidders are given anticipated production numbers and zip codes for all the possible delivery destinations and those are used to average the delivery cost per vehicle.

I do something similar in my own business. We operate a service department and charge our customers a flat rate transportation Zone Charge to place a technician along with his tools, and service van stocked with commonly used parts on the customer's location - regardless of where that trip originates from. Sometimes I come out ahead if my tech is just down the street, and other times I come out behind if he has to travel all the way across Atlanta in rush hour traffic. Over the course of time, however, I cover my costs and have fewer arguments with customers about what I charge them to get to their location. It's smart business and I understand why GM does it this way. I had no issue with it when I did my museum delivery.

BJ
Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 PM
GS1960
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Think of Museum Delivery as courtesy delivery at your local dealer with a tour of teh factory and other things thrown in. I see where it is not uncommon to pay $500 for a courtesy delivery and I think I saw some folks were paying close to $1000 when the C7 ws new. So you get one of the best courtesy deliveries and a factory tour and other little things for $990.

Personally I am looking forward to one later this year.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:23 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

So when will Amazon buy Gov't Motors & offer free 2 day delivery...?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:16 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I loved the "bucket List" experience.
Someone mentioned what they were going to do is take delivery at home and use some of the money saved ($2,000 in my case with R8C/flight/car rental) to drive to the museum/plant on vacation and take the tour.
There is no right or wrong way to take delivery.......just get behind the wheel!!!!
Old 06-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Off topic posts removed. Please take your pro/anti union rants to Off Topic. They don't belong here.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:52 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by GS1960
Think of Museum Delivery as courtesy delivery at your local dealer with a tour of teh factory and other things thrown in. I see where it is not uncommon to pay $500 for a courtesy delivery and I think I saw some folks were paying close to $1000 when the C7 ws new. So you get one of the best courtesy deliveries and a factory tour and other little things for $990.

Personally I am looking forward to one later this year.
Agreed. I purchased from an out of state dealer. Local dealers weren't very courteous regarding doing a courtesy delivery, so my options were limited to paying to have it 3rd party shipped to me. Comparing the shipping quotes I received to the Museum Delivery fee, airfare, hotels, etc, it was basically a push.

However, the Museum delivery is an absolutely incredible experience. If there's any way to swing it, I would highly recommend it. After experiencing it, I can't imagine doing it any other way. Definitely worth the extra $990.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
I loved the "bucket List" experience.
Someone mentioned what they were going to do is take delivery at home and use some of the money saved ($2,000 in my case with R8C/flight/car rental) to drive to the museum/plant on vacation and take the tour.
There is no right or wrong way to take delivery.......just get behind the wheel!!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 01:28 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

So what's the cost & procedures (need to make reservation?) to take plant & museum tour?

By purchasing a new C7, got a cert to join Corvette Museum membership for One year free. Does that cover admission...?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
So what's the cost & procedures (need to make reservation?) to take plant & museum tour?

By purchasing a new C7, got a cert to join Corvette Museum membership for One year free. Does that cover admission...?
The Plant is $7.00
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/plant_tours/
Old 06-02-2015, 09:11 AM
dshamrick
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 147 Posts

I see these types of threads and I have the same reaction. The delivery charge is on the Sticker. So what?

When I buy a new car, granted I have not bought a new vette but others, I really don't care what number they put where on the buyers order. I only care about what I am driving the car home for.

If they want to discount the car $10K and put $10K in additional dealer markup on the order I could care less.

Again, All I care about is What am I driving the car home for. Period.

Now, in the case of a museum delivery I would expect the best deal I could get from the dealer to have that added back in but so what. I still have the bottom number that I am looking at and if I like it, I get it. If not, well then it is time to figure out if I get the car, change what is on it or try harder with the dealer.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 PM
REDBLUR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Did Museum Delivery on our '01 coupe in October of 2000. It was a great experience then. There were only three delivery areas at that time if I remember correctly. And, yes we had to pay the destination charge in addition to the museum delivery option. I believe at that time the museum delivery cars were trucked to or from Cave City Chevrolet in Cave City, KY for dealer prep then driven the other direction. Not sure which was which. Our car had about 30 miles on it when we picked it up. Cave City is about 30 miles northeast of Bowling Green. Not sure what the process is now. Next week we pick up our new '15 coupe through the museum delivery option. Really looking forward to it again.

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Delivery + Destination Fee?

Old 06-02-2015, 11:24 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by REDBLUR
Did Museum Delivery on our '01 coupe in October of 2000. It was a great experience then. There were only three delivery areas at that time if I remember correctly. And, yes we had to pay the destination charge in addition to the museum delivery option. I believe at that time the museum delivery cars were trucked to or from Cave City Chevrolet in Cave City, KY for dealer prep then driven the other direction. Not sure which was which. Our car had about 30 miles on it when we picked it up. Cave City is about 30 miles northeast of Bowling Green. Not sure what the process is now. Next week we pick up our new '15 coupe through the museum delivery option. Really looking forward to it again.
PDI is done at the NCM now. The PDI team will "autograph" on the underside. Get down on the ground on Corvette Blvd (in your delivery slot) and check it out.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:11 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
PDI is done at the NCM now. The PDI team will "autograph" on the underside. Get down on the ground on Corvette Blvd (in your delivery slot) and check it out.
Museum has been doing the PDI for 10 or more years now. Not many here remember or knew that Cave Chevy did it prior to that.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:49 AM
prodman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Unlike the others you mention, the National Corvette Museum is a 501(c)3 organization. It is not owned or funded by GM. The $990 R8C option helps fund the NCM.
Thank you. This is the first explanation that has made sense. I think it is probably a great experience, but always wondered why the "others" did not charge for it and in many cases paid for a night in a hotel and dinner.

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery + Destination Fee?