Sponsored by:

Moving from CTS-V to C7

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 10:42 AM
sidv
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving from CTS-V to C7

Thinking about moving to the vet, is anyone driven the Caddy and the Corvette C7
Old 06-07-2015, 10:54 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

See thread in C7 section named "Nothing to prove to Cadzilla". You'll find some insights there in between the BS and bickering.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:55 AM
sidv
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
See thread in C7 section named "Nothing to prove to Cadzilla". You'll find some insights there in between the BS and bickering.

Thanks Red!!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:08 AM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sidv
Thinking about moving to the vet, is anyone driven the Caddy and the Corvette C7
I traded my 2011 CTS-V coupe for my C7 CRT coupe A8 ZF1, if that's what you're looking for. The corvette seats aren't as good (for me, at 6'1" and 250). Both really good cars, but different. (Obviously)

What do you wan to know?
Old 06-07-2015, 11:14 AM
sidv
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by petepd
I traded my 2011 CTS-V coupe for my C7 CRT coupe A8 ZF1, if that's what you're looking for. The corvette seats aren't as good (for me, at 6'1" and 250). Both really good cars, but different. (Obviously)

What do you wan to know?

I have a 2010 CTS-V Stage 1 mod, 540 RWHP. 11.4 1/4 on street tires. Just topped 50K miles so time to move. Too impatient to wait for the 2016 CTS-V, so I need to move to something else during the interim. I was thinking 911 until I saw the Car & Driver article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

I think I'm sold on the C7. Haven't had a chance to drop the hammer on the vette, damn sales guy rides along. Want to make sure once I have a chance to do some spirited driving it will please me as much as the CTSV, or hopefully even more. Let me know.

Sid

Z06 inspired:

Last edited by sidv; 06-07-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 06-07-2015, 01:02 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a 2010 CTS-V Stage 1 mod, 540 RWHP. 11.4 1/4 on street tires. Just topped 50K miles so time to move. Too impatient to wait for the 2016 CTS-V, so I need to move to something else during the interim. I was thinking 911 until I saw the Car & Driver article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

I think I'm sold on the C7. Haven't had a chance to drop the hammer on the vette, damn sales guy rides along. Want to make sure once I have a chance to do some spirited driving it will please me as much as the CTSV, or hopefully even more. Let me know.

Sid

Z06 inspired:

Go drive one at a driving school for a couple days, such as Ron Fellows.

Spoiler alert: you'll love it.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Tenchi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from a 2012 CTS-V to a 2015 Z06. Well worth it.

Although I do miss fitting 3 extra people in the car, the fun to drive and the additional attention (since CTS-V got a lot of attention) makes it all worthwhile. Plus, the Vette is that much further in technology than the CTS-V being newer, which of course I expect the 2016 CTS-V to be caught up to that. And nothing compares to the drive of a Corvette... it's just brilliant.

My only fear was going back to a Chevy dealer now and not getting that Cadillac service I have loved so much. But so far, the dealer I found is treating me quite well.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:24 PM
sidv
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=Tenchi;1589789326]I went from a 2012 CTS-V to a 2015 Z06. Well worth it.

Although I do miss fitting 3 extra people in the car, the fun to drive and the additional attention (since CTS-V got a lot of attention) makes it all worthwhile. Plus, the Vette is that much further in technology than the CTS-V being newer, which of course I expect the 2016 CTS-V to be caught up to that. And nothing compares to the drive of a Corvette... it's just brilliant.

Great info. Sat in both the new V's (cts and ats) at COTA, loved the new CTS-v but don't want to wait. Did you test z06 and the z51?

My only fear was going back to a Chevy dealer now and not getting that Cadillac service I have loved so much. But so far, the dealer I found is treating me quite well.[/QUOTE
Old 06-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Newman Boy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About five weeks ago I went from a 2012 CTS the coop 6 speed manual with the recaro seat option. I tracked it. I was coming out of an M3 sedan. It was certainly faster on the straights. I think it handled just as well in the corners. My instructors all raved about the brakes. I kept breaking later and later without any problems.

The only problem was the differential overheated. I therefore could only run 15 minutes of 30 minute sessions. I had it changed for heavier differential fluid and it solved the problem until my last driving school last summer.

By the way, the seats were comfortable in my opinion for 200 mile trips. However, it did feel like a heavy car.

I hope to go to a driving school in a couple of weeks. I expect my Great White Shark to be phenomenal. So far in terms of everyday driving I love it. It is extremely comfortable on the highway in the economical mode and around town in the touring mode. I haven't really done much in the sport mode.

If I had it to do all over again, I would do the same thing. The C7 Corvette is phenomenal. At the time I went with the CTS V I was enamored with both its looks and performance. I do not regret going with it either.

I think you'll find you'll make the right choice if you go with the Corvette.

All the best,

Jim
Old 06-07-2015, 03:24 PM
sidv
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Newman Boy
About five weeks ago I went from a 2012 CTS the coop 6 speed manual with the recaro seat option. I tracked it. I was coming out of an M3 sedan. It was certainly faster on the straights. I think it handled just as well in the corners. My instructors all raved about the brakes. I kept breaking later and later without any problems.

The only problem was the differential overheated. I therefore could only run 15 minutes of 30 minute sessions. I had it changed for heavier differential fluid and it solved the problem until my last driving school last summer.

By the way, the seats were comfortable in my opinion for 200 mile trips. However, it did feel like a heavy car.

I hope to go to a driving school in a couple of weeks. I expect my Great White Shark to be phenomenal. So far in terms of everyday driving I love it. It is extremely comfortable on the highway in the economical mode and around town in the touring mode. I haven't really done much in the sport mode.

If I had it to do all over again, I would do the same thing. The C7 Corvette is phenomenal. At the time I went with the CTS V I was enamored with both its looks and performance. I do not regret going with it either.

I think you'll find you'll make the right choice if you go with the Corvette.

All the best,

Jim

Thanks Jim, feels like the right move, I really love the looks of the new Vette. I can revisit the new CTSV down the road.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Tenchi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great info. Sat in both the new V's (cts and ats) at COTA, loved the new CTS-v but don't want to wait. Did you test z06 and the z51?
Actually, we got my wife the Z51 that came two months before my Z06. The Z51 will be just a tic faster than your CTS-V (assuming stock), whether manual or automatic (I guess two tics for the automatic with the new A8). As for how comfortable the drive is, the Z51 will be quite similar.

When you push the button in the V or set the Z51 to track, you'll still get that stiffer suspension, except the steering will harden up in the Z51. But touring both felt pretty similar to me for ride quality.

Lastly, you'll get a bigger trunk in the Z51 over the V by about 40%.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
sidv
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tenchi
Actually, we got my wife the Z51 that came two months before my Z06. The Z51 will be just a tic faster than your CTS-V (assuming stock), whether manual or automatic (I guess two tics for the automatic with the new A8). As for how comfortable the drive is, the Z51 will be quite similar.

When you push the button in the V or set the Z51 to track, you'll still get that stiffer suspension, except the steering will harden up in the Z51. But touring both felt pretty similar to me for ride quality.

Lastly, you'll get a bigger trunk in the Z51 over the V by about 40%.
Thanks Tenchi, exactly the information I was looking for, sounds like the Z 51 is a great value. Z06 still in the running but would have to really blow me away compared to the z 51. Ready to join the club 😉
Old 06-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I also had an '11 CTS-V sedan 6MT loaded. It was a great car, modified it and was around 600 rwhp when I sold it. I had a C6 prior to it and always missed the 2 seater targa top feeling. They are completely different cars IMO. The Cadillac had first generation shocks which did a great job, but didn't feel much different between modes. It was heavy and you could feel the weight even though the brakes and tires did a wonderful job. The C7 Z51 on the other hand has a much more noticeable difference in driving modes. The car feels much lighter and the steering and braking are so much tighter. It also gets a lot more attention which can get tiring at times. Beyond car people, very few knew what a CTS-V was.

Old :

New:

Last edited by Bucknut2006; 06-07-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:04 PM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Love my CTS-V coupe, loved my V sedan before it. Love my C7, as I loved my C3, C4, C5, and C6 before it. Will be trading my '12 V-Coupe in for a '16 CTS-V between Sept and March based on availability. Won't get rid of either for the other. They don't seem to be interchangeable outside of the HP and performance.

sisters.. not twins

Old 06-08-2015, 09:02 AM
sidv
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cmicasa
Love my CTS-V coupe, loved my V sedan before it. Love my C7, as I loved my C3, C4, C5, and C6 before it. Will be trading my '12 V-Coupe in for a '16 CTS-V between Sept and March based on availability. Won't get rid of either for the other. They don't seem to be interchangeable outside of the HP and performance.

sisters.. not twins

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
I also had an '11 CTS-V sedan 6MT loaded. It was a great car, modified it and was around 600 rwhp when I sold it. I had a C6 prior to it and always missed the 2 seater targa top feeling. They are completely different cars IMO. The Cadillac had first generation shocks which did a great job, but didn't feel much different between modes. It was heavy and you could feel the weight even though the brakes and tires did a wonderful job. The C7 Z51 on the other hand has a much more noticeable difference in driving modes. The car feels much lighter and the steering and braking are so much tighter. It also gets a lot more attention which can get tiring at times. Beyond car people, very few knew what a CTS-V was.

Old :

New:
Thanks cmicasa and Bucknut2006, absolutely love the pics. Love my CTS-V, so thinking Z06 can keep me entertained until the 2016's are plentiful. Then maybe I can post some side by sides of the sisters.

Sid
Old 06-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Runner717
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a 2009 CTSV 6M loved the car roomy fast blast to drive,bought it new got a great deal Recardo seats $62500 out the door traded it in for a loaded Z51 paid list and gave back my great deal no regrets it's awesome
Old 06-08-2015, 03:42 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

That's a good Car and Driver article, very objective.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving from CTS-V to C7

Old 06-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Bought a '10 V new and really enjoyed it a lot. What a great car. Modded it a bit - exhaust and such. Sold it when I decided to get a C7. Got a '15 Z51 coupe and find that it's the type of car that I just want to go joy riding in for the heck of it. I look for excuses to go drive it. I wasn't that way with the V. Really enjoyed it, but it just wasn't the same. It was really good for road trips, although the wife wasn't super crazy about the recaro's. But I think there is as much room in my C7 coupe as there was in the trunk plus back seat of the V - close anyway. The V was great for sure. But the C7, at least for me, is more fun. I was kind of waiting for the new V, but I'm not a total fan of the new size/body style. May switch back one day, who knows.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:19 PM
commander112
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I owned three CTS-V's and loved them but they never really had the room I wanted in a luxury sedan. So After my divorce I decided to embrace my single life and bought a C7 convertible. It is really a great car. A bit tight but that is what a sports car is supposed to be. It begs for a supercharger too but it is an awesome ride. To fill my need for a sedan I went and bought an old STS-V which although it is not as powerful as my CTS-V's were is a way better road trip car. Big and comfy and can be had for cheap too.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:33 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Really like my C7 (have liked all my Corvettes) but, still, I miss my '11 CTS-V coupe.....

Quick Reply: Moving from CTS-V to C7