So, I finally tried Eco mode.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
No. None of us bought the C7 because its capable of getting 30 mpg, but I wonder why not use something if it's available.
Actually that factory played heavily in my decision, I agree though most Corvette buyers look at the gas mileage like a bonus.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:19 PM
pakmanpony
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Besides how fun is it to answer friends that ask you why you bought that gas guzzler and you tell how you hit 100 a few times on your last road trip and still got 28 mpg!
Old 06-10-2015, 12:29 PM
amzstinger
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel this slight jerk or uncomfortable quick "pull" a lot as well. To the point that it has gotten annoying. Does anyone else have this - typically when keeping the accelerator depressed at an even amount (not going up or down hills)?

When I bring up the mileage display, there is no correlation between the switch to V4 and V8 and the jerking sensation. There is also no correlation with the load on the car or the speed I am travelling (usually only happens above 20 mph).

It is very subtle though, as my passenger had no idea it was happening.

Originally Posted by FLS2K
I've been stubborn and never put my M7 Z51 in Eco mode. After all, I didn't buy a 460HP V8 to save gas and diddle around. That and I'm a bit uneasy with half the cylinders getting less/more wear than the others. I'm sure that's naive thinking, but...

That said, after 3.5 months and 4500 miles I decided I should see if Eco mode was functioning properly. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the integration. Aside from a slight jerk when entering v-4 mode the system is seamless. When you need the power she goes back to all cylinders firing nearly instantaneously. Maybe I'll actually use it now.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:19 PM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish the driver could choose to disable it at will with the flip of a switch. If our government wasn't always forcing more regulations of dubious value down our throats this country would be a better place. So are all the Corvettes on the road that are equipped with cylinder deactivation going to make a real difference in pollutant levels and conservation of fossil fuels? What were the esteemed members of Congress who brought this regulation to fruition thinking? It's one more thing adding complexity and possible problems down the road. It amazes me that people get all excited over a few more miles per gallon.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rstrait
It amazes me that people get all excited over a few more miles per gallon.
It amazes me that people would choose to get worse gas mileage than they can with virtually no downside.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cobraboy:
raylo (04-22-2017), tlippy (04-21-2017)
Old 06-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Acrr46
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cobraboy
It amazes me that people would choose to get worse gas mileage than they can with virtually no downside.
We all bought amazing C7's with a boat load of technical advancements by GM and a lot of people won't even try ECO mode. I plan on using the ECO mode on two long distance trips this summer to Mecum Actions in Harrisburg, PA and Corvettes at Carlisle.

I expect to achieve better gas mileage than my 2001 C5 with a 6 speed and the HP going from 350 to 460 horses
Old 06-10-2015, 08:48 PM
pakmanpony
Instructor

Do they go in 4 cyl mode when not in Eco?

Last edited by pakmanpony; 06-10-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Jasonhol
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pakmanpony
Do they go in 4 cyl mode when not in Eco?
Auto - Yes
Manual - No

Jason
Old 06-11-2015, 08:50 AM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

If I cared about economy I would have bought a Prius. But, then, I would be ashamed to be seen in it. Maybe GM has something...a Z06 that masquerades as a Prius? Or is that just a Prius Poser?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by amzstinger
I feel this slight jerk or uncomfortable quick "pull" a lot as well. To the point that it has gotten annoying. Does anyone else have this - typically when keeping the accelerator depressed at an even amount (not going up or down hills)?

When I bring up the mileage display, there is no correlation between the switch to V4 and V8 and the jerking sensation. There is also no correlation with the load on the car or the speed I am travelling (usually only happens above 20 mph).

It is very subtle though, as my passenger had no idea it was happening.
Yes, I can tell every time it goes from 4 to 8, but not the other way around. It's not intrusive, but after you notice it a few times it gets annoying.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:08 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

So no one addressed something the OP said. uneven cylinder wear, it is a real problem ?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:46 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by rstrait
I wish the driver could choose to disable it at will with the flip of a switch. If our government wasn't always forcing more regulations of dubious value down our throats this country would be a better place. So are all the Corvettes on the road that are equipped with cylinder deactivation going to make a real difference in pollutant levels and conservation of fossil fuels? What were the esteemed members of Congress who brought this regulation to fruition thinking? It's one more thing adding complexity and possible problems down the road. It amazes me that people get all excited over a few more miles per gallon.
1. Congress didn't mandate cylinder deactivation. That's all GM's decision.

2. Congress did mandate fuel economy standards, and frankly that's a good thing. We'd be importing even more middle eastern fuel otherwise.

3. In terms of the entire auto fleet, 1 mpg makes a huge difference in the amount of fuel used. While a couple of mpg may not matter to you, it has a huge impact on the U.S. economy and geopolitical balance of power.

4. There was an article published about the time the C7 was introduced that said GM basically had a choice between AFM or automatic start / stop to be able to meet fuel economy standards and still produce the power we all love. AFM is probably the least objectionable of those two options. If you really don't like it, buy a manual.
The following users liked this post:
tlippy (04-21-2017)
Old 06-11-2015, 10:30 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I may be one of the rare ones but I leave it in eco mode a lot of the time but I have adjusted the engine sound management so the exhaust it open all of the time. The exhaust sound is probably one of the only reasons I put it into sport mode.

I've only had the Corvette for a couple weeks but I've never been in a situation where eco mode wouldn't allow me to pass someone or get the acceleration I need. I'll never use the full 465hp (but I do like that it's there) on the street so why not save a few MPG?

I DID buy the C7 because it is capable of 30mpg, I love how it looks, and I like to be seen in it. Not so I can race a Dodge Neon with a fart can on the highway.

Just my $0.02.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:48 AM
pakmanpony
Instructor

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
I may be one of the rare ones but I leave it in eco mode a lot of the time but I have adjusted the engine sound management so the exhaust it open all of the time. The exhaust sound is probably one of the only reasons I put it into sport mode.
The manual doesn't explain very well what the Engine Sound Management options mean:
1 Off
2 Auto (mode selector)

What does each option do?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by pakmanpony
The manual doesn't explain very well what the Engine Sound Management options mean:
1 Off
2 Auto (mode selector)

What does each option do?
To my ears (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), in OFF, the exhaust is open all of the time and doesnt open/close based on what driving mode you are in. In AUTO, it opens/closes based on what driving mode you are in (ie. Eco, it'll always be closed. Track, it'll always be open).

Also, found this info on another board:

"Off will leave the flaps open all the time...mostly. There are still the flaps forward of the mufflers that do stuff mostly in 4-cyl mode. I leave mine in the off (open) all the time. I also notice that on some up shifts, I can hear something is closed until about 1700RPM the valves open. The driver mode does not affect this behavior, all modes behave the same in the 'off' position. "
Old 06-11-2015, 11:03 AM
pakmanpony
Instructor

Thanks for the explanation!
Old 06-12-2015, 12:18 PM
pakmanpony
Instructor

Tried ECO out last evening on a 150 mile road trip got around 27 mpg, that with going 75-80 down the interstate and one (alleged) 115 mph dash for the fun of it.

Get notified of new replies

To So, I finally tried Eco mode.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:15 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
Actually that factory played heavily in my decision, I agree though most Corvette buyers look at the gas mileage like a bonus.
Same here. If the car realized 20mph on the highway and 12 in town I would have probably decided on something else.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:24 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
To my ears (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), in OFF, the exhaust is open all of the time and doesnt open/close based on what driving mode you are in. In AUTO, it opens/closes based on what driving mode you are in (ie. Eco, it'll always be closed. Track, it'll always be open).

Also, found this info on another board:

"Off will leave the flaps open all the time...mostly. There are still the flaps forward of the mufflers that do stuff mostly in 4-cyl mode. I leave mine in the off (open) all the time. I also notice that on some up shifts, I can hear something is closed until about 1700RPM the valves open. The driver mode does not affect this behavior, all modes behave the same in the 'off' position. "
Not completely accurate. In no mode are the valves at the rear open all the time. Even in track mode, or off, the valves close partially in 4th and 5th gear below about 36 mph in order to pass federal noise standards. In 4th gear, that's 1700 rpm, in 5th gear 1200 rpm. This has nothing to do with AFM mode, as it happens even if you put the automatic in manual mode, and on the 7 speed in all modes.

See post 252 (and 248 for more detail) here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589760867
Old 06-13-2015, 10:43 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Not completely accurate. In no mode are the valves at the rear open all the time. Even in track mode, or off, the valves close partially in 4th and 5th gear below about 36 mph in order to pass federal noise standards. In 4th gear, that's 1700 rpm, in 5th gear 1200 rpm. This has nothing to do with AFM mode, as it happens even if you put the automatic in manual mode, and on the 7 speed in all modes.

See post 252 (and 248 for more detail) here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589760867
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. When I said "open" I should've been more specific that it was open based on RPM instead of just being closed all of the time.

I didn't know there were actually regulations on it. Feds just can't ever let us have any fun!

Quick Reply: So, I finally tried Eco mode.