Sponsored by:

A8 owners: Are you satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Senior Teen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OC Sadler
Got the A8 and love it!! Would never even consider changing back to a manual!
If you're going to "track" your car get the A8!
If you're only going to enjoy your car - get the A8!
If you're going to drive in traffic, get the A8!
If you're never going to drive in traffic, get the A8!
If you're not a "World class" driver get the A8"
If you ARE a "World Class" driver get the A8!

If you DON'T get the A8 - you're nothing but a Luddite!
If there are not 3 pedals on the floor it is not a true Corvette
The following users liked this post:
JB08 (09-25-2016)
Old 06-09-2015, 08:18 PM
OC Sadler
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Senior Teen

LUDDITE!!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Karlba
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

and the luddites self identify

thought long and hard about the A8 vs M7 question, in all previous cars there was no question about it I would have gone M7, but not with this car and this transmission, went A8 and have zero regrets, If I want to shift Ill take my bike and even if has clutchless upshifts, 2010 S1000RR and the new 2016 has clutchless downshifts, this on race replica superbikes, clutches are becoming more and more a thing of the past, great for new, longterm maybe not so great but hey long term is much longer these days than it used to be also a 10 yo car today holds up better overall than a 10 yo car from 20 or 30 years ago.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:34 PM
scottsh
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The V8/V4 AFM feature seems to annoy the NPP (Performance Exhaust) owners more than the standard exhaust folks, especially those who like to run loud because when it kicks in (goes to V4) you can tell the exhaust gets quieter. If that would annoy you, then go M7.

I'm never aware of AFM in my non-NPP car. The shifts feel smooth and not obvious otherwise to me.

The car drives really, really well at WOT - it allows me to focus on the road/wheel and not mess with the clutch/stick. I like a manual car, but I'm surprised at how well this auto works in the Vette.

Oh, and the best auto I've ever had is the CVT in my Lexus RX400h - that auto is a dream (auto switching between hybrid/gas, etc.) in all modes. The car has more torque than you'd expect but it is still a pig to drive compared to my C7. Body roll is crazy.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Karlba
and the luddites self identify

thought long and hard about the A8 vs M7 question, in all previous cars there was no question about it I would have gone M7, but not with this car and this transmission, went A8 and have zero regrets, If I want to shift Ill take my bike and even if has clutchless upshifts, 2010 S1000RR and the new 2016 has clutchless downshifts, this on race replica superbikes, clutches are becoming more and more a thing of the past, great for new, longterm maybe not so great but hey long term is much longer these days than it used to be also a 10 yo car today holds up better overall than a 10 yo car from 20 or 30 years ago.
1953 C1 Powerglide automatic, the only engine and transmission available.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Floatfly
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
TPW is 6/22. I went back and forth on the transmission issue and ultimately picked the A8.

Recently I've come across a few issues and annoyances expressed by owners:

1. First to second gear shift hesitation (my main concern). This may have been addressed by a software update but I haven't been able to confirm it.
2. Overheating on the track (not really a concern of mine as I won't track the car)
3. Active fuel management always active except in manual mode

I'm hoping to hear experiences and impressions from those that opted for this transmission.

Thank you.
Never thought I would own an auto Corvette. Bought the 15 Z51 with the A8 and love it. No regrets And would never go back.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:01 PM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry but I am with ALI, I to am on the bandwagon with the A8 overheating. My first auto and I am starting to regret it. If its not a 2016 I would not buy it. Sorry my opinion.

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Will yours be a 2016? If so, the 2016 will have a secondary transmission cooler. If its 2015 then no.

I love the car. Transmission performs really good and is a blast when you get on it but it will overheat if you take it to the track or if you push it on canyon road. The shift will become really slow and the car will go into limp mode.
If you are not planning to track the car then you have nothing to worry about. The overheating issue will be solved either GM or an aftermarket option eventually. I looked into aftermarket options and I was quoted between 2k and 3k. We are pushing for GM to address the issue.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-upgrade.html

We are also trying to get enough votes to have Tadge address the issue.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-2015-a.html
Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Good to hear and see you A8 owners are so happy.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:19 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Good to hear and see you A8 owners are so happy.

Next curiosity: what exactly cause V4 mode to engage?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Very happy with my A8 so far. As others have said shifts very quickly. Had enough of Tremec transmissions with the "notchy" 6 speed in my 2012 Shelby GT500. Never again. Liked the A8 in my 2015 Challenger R/T but the GM A8 is FAR better. The A8 in my 2014 RAM is better than the Challenger but the Stingray takes the prize.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Senior Teen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it seems the A8 learns from you, shifts super fast for you, thinks for you. Oh ! and let's not forget the Eco mode thing > No one will ever convince me that over time you are not weakening half the engine . I set the cruise at 70 in 7th and get 32.5 mph, has never been in eco mode once. Let's take another car ! The GTR ! . Every reviewer marveled at how the car handled and the amazing technology ,yet they always ended saying the car was not fun to drive as the computer did everything for you. I bet you A8 lovers must be waiting for the day a self drive corvette is sold . The Corvette is about fun, being part of the car and that can only be had in a true Corvette . Yes the C1s were auto and a truck engine and they were not received well . Why ?? They were not fun to drive. And the fellow that says he had stick vettes and now does not regret having an A8 . I work at a place that sells mostly classic Corvettes and a few muscle cars. I have driven from 53 and we have have two 55 V8 C1 and just about every engine,trans, year vettes .Even some C6 stick and auto. My 7 speed is a dream to drive in and out of traffic compared to any other years stick vette made. My friend has a C6 stick and I told him to take my C7 for a drive and when he came back he said " The tranny, the clutch. the steering , everything is so much smoother then his The car is fun to drive in all kinds of conditions and it responds to what I think, I want to do, not what the Trans wants to do which is " Take the fun out of driving a vette " By the way I am 72 and driving a stick is not a chore for me. It is still the same feeling I get when I drive one of the classic true vettes. I forgot the make but I just read the other day one of the super car manufactures are going to offer a Manuel shift again after it started making only auto trans a year or so ago. Can you guess why ? They were not fun to drive anymore and sales were effected. So all you A8 guys just keep loving your cars and do not fret !! Before you know it you will have your Google vette to drive, Sorry ! Not drive but to ride around in .
Old 06-09-2015, 09:43 PM
OC Sadler
Instructor

Originally Posted by C2367

That Powerglide surely had 3 pedals on the floor - it had the STOP pedal - it had the GO pedal - and it had the ANTICIPATE pedal - cuz it knew they were going to name it after a boat!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:49 PM
OC Sadler
Instructor

So it seems the A8 learns from you, shifts super fast for you, thinks for you. Oh ! and let's not forget the Eco mode thing > No one will ever convince me that over time you are not weakening half the engine . I set the cruise at 70 in 7th and get 32.5 mph, has never been in eco mode once. Let's take another car ! The GTR ! . Every reviewer marveled at how the car handled and the amazing technology ,yet they always ended saying the car was not fun to drive as the computer did everything for you. I bet you A8 lovers must be waiting for the day a self drive corvette is sold . The Corvette is about fun, being part of the car and that can only be had in a true Corvette . Yes the C1s were auto and a truck engine and they were not received well . Why ?? They were not fun to drive. And the fellow that says he had stick vettes and now does not regret having an A8 . I work at a place that sells mostly classic Corvettes and a few muscle cars. I have driven from 53 and we have have two 55 V8 C1 and just about every engine,trans, year vettes .Even some C6 stick and auto. My 7 speed is a dream to drive in and out of traffic compared to any other years stick vette made. My friend has a C6 stick and I told him to take my C7 for a drive and when he came back he said " The tranny, the clutch. the steering , everything is so much smoother then his The car is fun to drive in all kinds of conditions and it responds to what I think, I want to do, not what the Trans wants to do which is " Take the fun out of driving a vette " By the way I am 72 and driving a stick is not a chore for me. It is still the same feeling I get when I drive one of the classic true vettes. I forgot the make but I just read the other day one of the super car manufactures are going to offer a Manuel shift again after it started making only auto trans a year or so ago. Can you guess why ? They were not fun to drive anymore and sales were effected. So all you A8 guys just keep loving your cars and do not fret !! Before you know it you will have your Google vette to drive, Sorry ! Not drive but to ride around in .

LUDDITE!!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:54 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

I didn't really start this thread to debate the merits of one transmission over the other. I've already purchased the A8 and simply wanted opinions of owners that did as well.

Can we please bring this train back on the tracks?
Old 06-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kstine98
I had no idea it was adaptive. Is that true of the A6 also?
I'd like to know this about the A6 too.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:26 PM
seCen
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The jolt from park to drive is now gone after having the transmission reflashed. Now downshifting seems to be severely delayed. I have to pretty much stab at the throttle for it to get into the right gear. Previously before the reflash, i can add 25% of the throttle and it would go. Anyone else have similar issues with their reflashed transmission?
Old 06-09-2015, 10:27 PM
wingerr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was curious as to why the AFM operates only on the same four cylinders instead of rotating the operating cylinders for balanced wear over time. Is there specific differences in the mechanicals involved with the cutoff cylinders, since it has to be more than simply cutting fuel and ignition?

Get notified of new replies

To A8 owners: Are you satisfied?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:04 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by wingerr
I was curious as to why the AFM operates only on the same four cylinders instead of rotating the operating cylinders for balanced wear over time. Is there specific differences in the mechanicals involved with the cutoff cylinders, since it has to be more than simply cutting fuel and ignition?
Yes, there are things specific to those cylinders like the pressurized oil system/solenoid valve assemblies and lifters. I think it's 1,4,6,7 if I remember right.

I am still learning about this system as well (my first GM product) but so far I really don't like it...
Old 06-09-2015, 11:12 PM
Karlba
Racer

Originally Posted by C2367
the 2 speed power glide trans was very nice for its time, esp when mated to a straight six, as in the pont ventura, did you have a point? or are u really trying to suggest the a8 and the power glide are somehow the same
Old 06-09-2015, 11:15 PM
Karlba
Racer

I bet you A8 lovers must be waiting for the day a self drive corvette is sold . .
everything after you said this, is pointless, you just showed that all you wish to do is insult people, get a life

Quick Reply: A8 owners: Are you satisfied?