A8 owners: Are you satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:43 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by kstine98
I had no idea it was adaptive. Is that true of the A6 also?
Originally Posted by Never-Enough
I'd like to know this about the A6 too.
Yes it's true of the A6 too and Very Happy with mine.
There's a huge positive difference the way my A6 works now compared to when it was new in 2009.
When the time comes I trade up to a C7 it will have the A8
Old 06-10-2015, 01:00 AM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

The A8 is a fast shifting transmission, no doubt.

But it can't get over two things 1) it has overheating issues supposedly on track runs 2) it just isn't as fun as a manual.

Yes, the auto is quicker in a straight line, but to me it is a funner experience shifting through the gears yourself. It is a more satisfying time behind the wheel. In an auto you have throttle and brake. Pretty boring to me.

And why oh why does the gearbox/shift selector look the same as in a Malibu?

Also, where will the A8 be in 5-10 years?

Do you want to drive the car or have the car drive you?

Last edited by OrioleFan; 06-10-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:03 AM
Tenchi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I debated a long time between the M7 and A8... the A8 was the right choice in the end, and I have no regrets.

Although I will be getting a software flash on the Z06 like we did on the Z51 to correct some issues, the super fast shifts are great, and I do appreciate the active fuel management.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:51 AM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Senior Teen
If there are not 3 pedals on the floor it is not a true Corvette
Amen!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Bradysdad
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
Yes, there are things specific to those cylinders like the pressurized oil system/solenoid valve assemblies and lifters. I think it's 1,4,6,7 if I remember right.

I am still learning about this system as well (my first GM product) but so far I really don't like it...
If you think about the firing order 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 you can see why the above works the way it does. Although you think they could do 8,3,5,2 as well in order to alternate, but that would take additional hardware and software to manage and add cost.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:01 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradysdad
If you think about the firing order 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 you can see why the above works the way it does. Although you think they could do 8,3,5,2 as well in order to alternate, but that would take additional hardware and software to manage and add cost.

Yes, but you would have add double the components now to the other 4 cylinders like all of the solenoid valves and oil passages (are cast into the block I think). I don't think changing the lifters in those cylinders would be a big deal but I do think fitting the solenoid valves and such might create a pretty tight fit.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
TPW is 6/22. I went back and forth on the transmission issue and ultimately picked the A8.

Recently I've come across a few issues and annoyances expressed by owners:

1. First to second gear shift hesitation (my main concern). This may have been addressed by a software update but I haven't been able to confirm it.
2. Overheating on the track (not really a concern of mine as I won't track the car)
3. Active fuel management always active except in manual mode

I'm hoping to hear experiences and impressions from those that opted for this transmission.

Thank you.
yes totally
Old 06-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I put in my 2 cents.

For those of you that did not know, I posted a thread with my horror story about the and problems with the A8 on the first brand new vette I ever bought and how disappointed I was with it as I was just on the last day of triggering the lemon law with the problems it had with only a 100 miles on it. I bought a new one over a used vette because I wanted the 8 speed and also because it was hard to find a used '14 optioned like I wanted and when I did the Stealers wanted as much as a brand new car for a used one.

Bottom line, I should have learned not to be a beta tester for GM (or any other car manufacturer)!

It appears to be fixed currently, but the thing still does some weird shifts. I am sure they will work out the bugs but they offer no Solis for us beta testers.

I know most of you have no issues with the A8, and some have the minor issue of the learning and weird shifting that results. I bet the problems will be fewer with the '16 model year and I should have waited.

Last edited by Flame Red; 06-10-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:20 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by yelocarbuff
I will take the other side of the argument.

Hate it!

The A6 was a way better transmission. Simple and it worked. No weird clunks, holding in low gear in track and sport modes, weird shifts, anemic feel, it just worked.

The A8 shifts 3 times before I leave the cul-de-sac. Stupid short shifts.

I expect the A8 to be weaker, break easier, and cost more to repair. Feels weird too.

The A6 was not broke, so why try to 'fix' it.

I put over a million miles on sports cars, including many auto Vettes, and this is one of the WORST transmissions I have experienced.
I feel the exact opposite, and in fact, if the A6 was still the auto option, I would chosen the M7 in a heartbeat.

The only reason (imho) to choose an automatic is if it is better than the manual when it comes to numbers. That includes any power loss like we used to have with autos.

It is not like it used to be with auto vs. manual, we are at the point now in technology where the only reason to choose a manual is for the fun factor (which is important, sure) but in doing so you are now taking a performance loss vs the auto. This is why supercars are auto now... they create better numbers.
The following users liked this post:
Ramapo (06-09-2016)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Senior Teen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OC Sadler
LUDDITE!!
I do not know what LUDDITE stands for ? Since your calling drivers of a true Corvette that I guess i would use for you A8 lovers a fitting name ! GIRLYMAN !
Old 06-10-2015, 10:28 AM
OC Sadler
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel the exact opposite, and in fact, if the A6 was still the auto option, I would chosen the M7 in a heartbeat.

The only reason (imho) to choose an automatic is if it is better than the manual when it comes to numbers. That includes any power loss like we used to have with autos.

It is not like it used to be with auto vs. manual, we are at the point now in technology where the only reason to choose a manual is for the fun factor (which is important, sure) but in doing so you are now taking a performance loss vs the auto. This is why supercars are auto now... they create better numbers.

AMEN! AMEN! A thousand times AMEN!
Ramapo (06-09-2016)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:44 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

LUDDITE!!
OC Sadler,

You make me laugh with your put down of those that prefer the manual. In actual fact you are also a luddite since the Corvette is a gas powered vehicle and cars like the Tesla are less obsolete in terms of technology.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 AM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ordered our car with the A8 so the wife would feel more comfortable driving it. Big MISTAKE! She hardly ever drives the car and I miss a true manual transmission which previously I always had in my cars. With the A8 transmission in M mode, using the paddles and lifting slightly between shifts, I can make the car SOUND like a manual, but it's just not the same. If you have any question in your mind about which transmission to buy, get the manual!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Senior Teen
Advanced

AMEN! AMEN! A thousand times AMEN!
So let us know when your tracking your vette ? Forgive me if I am mistaken ? I thought the fun factor is the reason for 95 percent of vette purchases and I was not trying to take this post offtrack. I felt the fun factor or lack of it also needed to be addressed in the choice of an A8. A few years down the road when younger drivers can afford a used C7 the 7 speeds will be the one's they look for. I guess when some of us get older we lose the fun factor that was the thrill when we drove the muscle cars. At the place I work we had a beautiful 67 hemi numbers match , and they raved at how fast the automatic was . Yet we had to return the car back to the owner as we could not sell it. Every one that looked at it said the same thing " If only it was a 4 speed. So all I want people that ask "auto or stick " ? Again ask yourself." Am I going to the drag strip or road race (Only a 10 th of a second difference and still more fun at the track with a stick ) or am I buying it for the fun factor ? The answer will be obvious for the purpose of your purchase. Now you really have all the info to make your choice that the A8 owners forgot about to include in there reviews of living with an A8 . Thank You ! No Applause necessary !

Last edited by Senior Teen; 06-10-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Karlba
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Ramapo (06-09-2016)
Old 06-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Karlba
Racer

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
OC Sadler,

You make me laugh with your put down of those that prefer the manual. In actual fact you are also a luddite since the Corvette is a gas powered vehicle and cars like the Tesla are less obsolete in terms of technology.
once the tesla can be driven across country as easily as a gas powered veh, you would be correct, until then that technology is not ready for prime time due to lack of infrastructure to recharge and recharge quickly on long drives, this matters a lot to those of us that don't live in metropolitan areas.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 AM
OC Sadler
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I do not know what LUDDITE stands for ? Since your calling drivers of a true Corvette that I guess i would use for you A8 lovers a fitting name ! GIRLYMAN !

Teen,
First, I apologize to you if you believe I am trying to “dis” you in my comments. I further apologize to all the C7 Manual shift owners who might think the same thing.
This car (the C7) is the representation of the finest of American (and GM) engineering and your choice to purchase it (in any version) shows your knowledgeable approach to autos. Tadge and his cohorts have done something that, it would appear, cannot be done - i.e. produce a true supercar at such a bargain price that the Europeans should be ashamed.
This car is the bomb!!
You are to be applauded!
I too grew up on Manual shifting including several Corvettes and Camaros, but had someone offered me a 1953 Corvette with an automatic I would have kissed her toenails. I would do so again tomorrow morning at 5AM should she appear at my front door. I still covet that car!! It was/is the one and only Original and it was/is an automatic, even tho’ I preferred Manuals.
I am biased because I presently own an A8. I LOVE THIS CAR! But I also love your car and all the Manuals because they are representations of a goal (Tadge’s) which I would not believe could be achieved. Thank you Tadge! Thank you GM!
Now for the answer to your question!
“Luddite” refers to a group of workers in Victorian England who were against new machines which, they believed, would take away their jobs. They formed posses to seek out and destroy these machines. Hence, it came to mean a person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology.
My references using this term were meant in fun, but I realize the written word does not always confer the jocularity intended.
Again, I apologize to those I offended.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 owners: Are you satisfied?

Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 AM
Karlba
Racer

So let us know when your tracking your vette ? Forgive me if I am mistaken ? I thought the fun factor is the reason for 95 percent of vette purchases and I was not trying to take this post offtrack. I felt the fun factor or lack of it also needed to be addressed in the choice of an A8. A few years down the road when younger drivers can afford a used C7 the 7 speeds will be the one's they look for. !
there is no loss of fun factor with the A8, if you aren't having enough fun, speed up grampa. and if you really think todays younger generation that grew up playing video games in a digital world is going to have the same old need to have a stick in their hand as opposed to paddle shifters at their finger tips that the older generation that grew up analog does, you are out of touch.

Last edited by Karlba; 06-10-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Senior Teen
Advanced

That is exactly what I feel someone asking " which one ? " Needed to be reminded of the fun factor . And most super car buyers are not tracking there car and this is why some of the super car manufactures are again make manuals . On the street driven only cars the fun factor is the only way to chose. If your unable or uncomfortable ( Aches ) to drive a manual then an auto is a no brainier.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:26 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by docprego
TPW is 6/22. I went back and forth on the transmission issue and ultimately picked the A8.

Recently I've come across a few issues and annoyances expressed by owners:

1. First to second gear shift hesitation (my main concern). This may have been addressed by a software update but I haven't been able to confirm it.
2. Overheating on the track (not really a concern of mine as I won't track the car)
3. Active fuel management always active except in manual mode

I'm hoping to hear experiences and impressions from those that opted for this transmission.

Thank you.
I love LOVE my A8, it's a phenomenal transmission. Mine had that 1-2 hesitation when it was new but it's gone now, even when it was there it wasn't really that bad.

I don't road course my car, but this trans is a beast at the drag strip.

I don't notice the AFM come in or out, if I didn't switch to the screen that showed it I would never be able to tell you which mode it was in.

I'm sure some of the opinions on this forum will help, but most will be lovers or haters. If you want an auto, get an auto. Only you will really be able to decide if you like it or not. Good luck!

Quick Reply: A8 owners: Are you satisfied?