Sponsored by:

Be careful who you have do your XPEL install

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:51 AM
TSloper
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Be careful who you have do your XPEL install

I'm, for the time being, going to leave specific shop names out of this post to give the original shop the chance to take care of their obligation. If they don't I will share the name.

I purchased my car through a dealership in NH. I paid $2000 for XPEL Ultimate to be installed prior to me picking up the car. When I picked up the car I the first impression was that everything was done well. A week later when detailing the car I quickly realized what a crap job they did.

1. On the driver's side rear quarter panel the film was hanging where it wraps underneath at the rear bumper.
2. The same piece on the opposite side was hand cut to NOT wrap underneath.
3. The driver's rocker panel was lifting at the top edge.
4. The installer never removed the factory film on the rockers and installed the XPEL right over it. LAZYNESS.
5. The mirror stems were not installed (part of kit)
6. The bottom portions of the doors were not installed (part of kit)
7. The front fender Stingray emblems were not even close to where they should be. I actually removed them this morning and like the cleaner look.

The local XPEL shop I went to noticed the majority of the missing items and the failure to remove the GM film on the rockers.

The shop up north said they would take care of it all. Well when the local shop called them yesterday with the bill the original shop was apparently very rude and tried to push some of it on to the dealership.

Why is it so damn difficult to get quality work out of anyone these days? The dealership made profit on this job and couldn't even respond to my e-mail to them about this. The original shop just couldn't act mature and eat their F up without grief.

The local installer fixed everything this week and it looks great. He clearly is very detailed oriented. I also paid him to do the door sills which came out looking amazing.

The local shop here in Garner, NC (Raleigh area) is Tinted Image. The owner's name is James Bailey. If this is violating a forum rule I apologize but the dealership who profited from me is on this site and couldn't even respond to me. They will never get a piece of business from me in the future. Arrogant ******.

Tim
Old 06-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

I also had problems with my 3M install. They washed the car prior to the install. The 3M "Certified" dealer left dirt on the hood (which you could see thru the film), did not cut the ends evenly and I also had pieces wrapped under that were sticking out, among other things. Brought it back twice for the bumper and finally the 3rd time they replaced the entire front end (bumper, hood and both fenders). They did so without an argument, but it was just the hassle of going back and forth.

They did make one comment to me that kind of stuck in my head. They said the film is protection and not perfection. Well, If I did not want perfection or very close to it, I would not be having the film installed on my car in the first place.

I know a few other folks that went to a different dealer and had Xpel installed. Unfortunately, they had similar problems, going back a few times for fixes.

I appears that repeat trips for repair is part of the install.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

That is sooooo wrong.

I had a similar experience and let me tell you how I successfully handled it.

First of all - take close up pictures of the problem areas and then call Xpel immediately. (800) 447-9928. Ask for your regional rep's name and email address then ask to be connected to him... you'll probably get voice mail so leave a message telling him you'll be sending an email with pictures and requesting a call back.

If you get him right away, great. Tell him the story and then send the email.

In the case of the Orlando installer who totally screwed up my install (Orlando Window Tint), xPel pulled their certification from the web. I understand once they attend a complete set of training classes, including advanced (the C7) they may get it back.

Ask the rep what he can do for you. He should recommend the best installer in your neck of the woods (Invisible Car Bras) and offer some 'help' in making it happen. In my case they offered some in case I didn't get a refund. How cool is that?

Should xPel pull the installer's certification go to him and ask for your money back. He doesn't have a leg to stand on if the factory has pulled is 'approved dealer' approval in small claims court. Tell the installer that and ask him if that's the course of action he really wants to take. If so, also notify the BBB, etc. etc.

In my case I did hire a lawyer.

In the mean time I visited the installer that Xpel said was the best in the area. I looked at some of his work in progress. Awesome.

I learned 'the problem' many installers have with Xpel is that it is thicker than the other films and they unsuccessfully try and stretch it to cover minor installation alignment mistakes.

Another other issue seems to be with the water based adhesive fluid they put down before laying the film. Xpel's is expensive and many installers won't use it. Big problem that.

Finally, some installers won't use the Xpel computer-cut template because they have to pay for using it. Instead they lay material down and then trim around it (as it sounds like what happened to you). If the installer did that...take a real close look in the seam areas for any paint damage where his cutting tool may have 'slipped' just a bit. If there is damage - that is a separate claim.

Good luck and PM me if you need to.

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 06-12-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:07 PM
TSloper
Advanced

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
That is sooooo wrong.

I had a similar experience and let me tell you how I successfully handled it.

First of all - take close up pictures of the problem areas and then call Xpel immediately. (800) 447-9928. Ask for your regional rep's name and email address then ask to be connected to him... you'll probably get voice mail so leave a message telling him you'll be sending an email with pictures and requesting a call back.

If you get him right away, great. Tell him the story and then send the email.

In the case of the Orlando installer who totally screwed up my install (Orlando Window Tint), xPel pulled their certification from the web. I understand once they attend a complete set of training classes, including advanced (the C7) they may get it back.

Ask the rep what he can do for you. He should recommend the best installer in your neck of the woods (Invisible Car Bras) and offer some 'help' in making it happen. In my case they offered some in case I didn't get a refund. How cool is that?

Should xPel pull the installer's certification go to him and ask for your money back. He doesn't have a leg to stand on if the factory has pulled is 'approved dealer' approval in small claims court. Tell the installer that and ask him if that's the course of action he really wants to take. If so, also notify the BBB, etc. etc.

In my case I did hire a lawyer.

In the mean time I visited the installer that Xpel said was the best in the area. I looked at some of his work in progress. Awesome.

I learned 'the problem' many installers have with Xpel is that it is thicker than the other films and they unsuccessfully try and stretch it to cover minor installation alignment mistakes.

Another other issue seems to be with the water based adhesive fluid they put down before laying the film. Xpel's is expensive and many installers won't use it. Big problem that.

Finally, some installers won't use the Xpel computer-cut template because they have to pay for using it. Instead they lay material down and then trim around it (as it sounds like what happened to you). If the installer did that...take a real close look in the seam areas for any paint damage where his cutting tool may have 'slipped' just a bit. If there is damage - that is a separate claim.

Good luck and PM me if you need to.

Thanks!

I will see how this plays out. I will be calling XPEL directly though as the original installer needs to either step up their game or get out.

The entire experience left a bad taste in my mouth with the dealership I purchased the car from. They want the quick buck but don't do a damn thing to earn it.

Tim
Old 06-12-2015, 12:19 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Once I read stories from a few other people of installers using razors right against the paint to cut the 3m/xpel I decided right there I did not want to have that stuff put on my car.

I'll just stick to sealing the paint, waxing it, and repairing any little chips with Dr. Colorchip.

Will try to avoid as much as I can by following at least 3 car lengths back and trying to never get behind big trucks.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:24 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I can't fathom why anyone would do this unless you lived on gravel roads and normally drove on gravel roads. Up north we have mostly paved roads. My 2007 Z06, which is for sale with just under 50K miles as best I can tell with the naked eye has 0 stone chips.

No way in hell would I wrap my car in plastic. If you are dissatisfied now what is it going to be like when the sun destroys the wrap. I would have the stuff taken off and ask for my money back.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:22 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I have it on my Tacoma pick-up and My 2015 Z06.
Feel lucky to have perfect installs on both and both were around 1000.00 I know my 2015 in the newest 3 M product and the other I think is Xpel.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:33 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

If you are in NC, how do you plan to deal with the out of state installer, or did I misread your post?

Ken
Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM
TSloper
Advanced

I'm not going to do anything legally. But I will call XPEL and I will share their name publically if they don't make it right with the local shop who did the job they should have done to begin with. Two weeks ago the original shop agreed to reimburse the local installer to fix things. But yesterday they started singing a different tune when he told them what the bill was.

I'm just annoyed with businesses that can't follow through with doing a quality and complete job. The install what half assed. The dealership could give a f$&k yet they made some $ for doing nothing.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:31 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

A bit OT, but threads like this are one of the reasons I decided to go with a dealer that is more "local" to me. I could have saved some additional $$ buying from one of the really big forum dealers but decided against it. Since the OP is in NC and the dealer is "up north" he is faced with trying to communicate long distance. This makes it easier for the dealer to just ignore him. I hope XPel will step up and make things right for you. I am also leaning toward not installing and protective film on my car and just dealing with the chips using Dr. Colorchip or another similar product and maybe using a Novistretch mask during long road trips.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:02 PM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear your dilemma. I had to wait a little longer but ordered my car locally and had Suntek film installed locally. Hopefully things get worked out.
Eric
Old 06-12-2015, 07:18 PM
C7VY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having XPEL ultimate put on next week in MA. I know the Ferrari dealer uses them and recommended them. I did try Dr Colorchip on 2 spots on my 14 VY but not looking good. The shop said they will take a look at it before they put the film on.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

Did you pay for the Xpel treatment seperately from the car purchase? Pay by credit card? If so, dispute the charge with your CC company...

Ken
Old 06-12-2015, 09:10 PM
TSloper
Advanced

Originally Posted by C7VY
I am having XPEL ultimate put on next week in MA. I know the Ferrari dealer uses them and recommended them. I did try Dr Colorchip on 2 spots on my 14 VY but not looking good. The shop said they will take a look at it before they put the film on.

PM me with who you are going to use. I want to make sure that if it is the same shop you know what to check for before paying them.

With the film now corrected I'm very happy that it's on the car. This afternoon I was on I40 in Raleigh and a small piece of shredded tire kicked up (thought I was going to miss it) and hit the passenger rocker. I got home and the marks wiped right off. It's this type of stuff that I've had happen in the past and cost me paint work which is never fun.

Tim

Tim

Last edited by TSloper; 06-12-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:07 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Sorry to hear of your issues. This is one of the reasons I did not have xpel installed.

I bought my car back in Dec so it basically went from the dealer into storage and I spent a couple weeks looking at shops within 100 mile radius.

All the shops were XPEL authorized installers. The first shop I was in and out in 10 minutes and I stayed 8 minutes too long. As I approached a Porshe I saw the installer cutting the film with a razor against the paint. I looked and found multiple deep cuts in the paint...Bye

Second shop would not allow me to watch them install for "Insurance reasons"... They had pictures I could look at but they are useless to me. I want to see a car first hand...Bye

Third shop seemed great. They let me watch a lambo getting XPEL and showed me other cars they did. The problem was I could easily tell the cars had protection, especially dark colored cars. This installer seemed to really care and he did nice work but I didn't care for the look and it was about 90 miles away. In the end I decided not to get it done. Prices also seemed high. 2000-2500 for the protection I wanted and 5k to 5500 for the whole car.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:11 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Sorry to hear of your issues. This is one of the reasons I did not have xpel installed.

I bought my car back in Dec so it basically went from the dealer into storage and I spent a couple weeks looking at shops within 100 mile radius.

All the shops were XPEL authorized installers. The first shop I was in and out in 10 minutes and I stayed 8 minutes too long. As I approached a Porshe I saw the installer cutting the film with a razor against the paint. I looked and found multiple deep cuts in the paint...Bye

Second shop would not allow me to watch them install for "Insurance reasons"... They had pictures I could look at but they are useless to me. I want to see a car first hand...Bye

Third shop seemed great. They let me watch a lambo getting XPEL and showed me other cars they did. The problem was I could easily tell the cars had protection, especially dark colored cars. This installer seemed to really care and he did nice work but I didn't care for the look and it was about 90 miles away. In the end I decided not to get it done. Prices also seemed high. 2000-2500 for the protection I wanted and 5k to 5500 for the whole car.
Had protective film on several BMWs and was never satisfied with the look especially after the film had been on the car for over a year and suffered some hits. Also very difficult to avoid stains from bugs unless they are removed very quickly, like within an hour. I'll deal with the chips as they occur as they will inevitably will. Sorry for the OPs troubles and hope he finds satisfaction.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:14 AM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had a few car guys check out my car and I had to tell each one the Suntek film was on the car. So far so good but I guess time will tell in the long run. Maybe it is less noticeable because my car is Silver?
Eric

Get notified of new replies

To Be careful who you have do your XPEL install

Old 06-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,363 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by SMFCPACFP
I can't fathom why anyone would do this unless you lived on gravel roads and normally drove on gravel roads. Up north we have mostly paved roads. My 2007 Z06, which is for sale with just under 50K miles as best I can tell with the naked eye has 0 stone chips.

No way in hell would I wrap my car in plastic. If you are dissatisfied now what is it going to be like when the sun destroys the wrap. I would have the stuff taken off and ask for my money back.
Only the cheap stuff yellows.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:19 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Just picked mine up yesterday as a place in Natick, MA did my roof and hatch area (they did the bulk of the car back in early May). Car is sitting in the sun as I write this, curing.

If you want to take a look at my car send me a PM and we can probably hook up tomorrow---I didn't see any rain forecast---I am assuming you are in the MA area. I am in Needham.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:37 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SMFCPACFP

I felt the same way as you several years back---and that line across the hood drove me crazy when I saw it. Then a few years passed and in April 2013 I got my 'last' corvette (this is what I told my wife), and thought about getting it a little extra protection. I had seen quite a few cars with chips on their hoods and front bumper, and I wanted to avoid this if possible. As a result, I found a local 3M dealer and had the basic package applied (front bumper and splitter, lower hood area, back of mirrors, side rocker panels, below the doors, and around the front and rear side vents). The plastic did its job on 3-4 occasions. The front splitter alone had about 5 good size marks in the plastic that surely would have chipped the splitter. Then this past April I got my 'real last' vette, and again I wanted to keep it looking good for many, many years (until I I can't drive and I turn it over to the grandchildren)........I splurged and treated myself to the Xpel (also had a sound deadening kit installed; the Apsis splash guards; and got door sill covers---curb alert is next)-----I would do it all again without any hesitation. Just an old guy that wants to keep his car looking good for as long as possible without too much headache or work.......and this will be my last one. Nobody can tell the Xpel is on the car.

Quick Reply: Be careful who you have do your XPEL install