Factory Z51 wheels, Paint or Powder

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Factory Z51 wheels, Paint or Powder

Hi all

I ordered my car with the standard silver Z51 wheels since the factory black paint chips up easy, and to pick my own color.

Yesterday I had my dealer remove the tires for me after I pulled the wheels from my car. Well sure enough their machine touched and damaged the outer bead a little on both from rims.

I stayed calm since I knew I may be able to clean them up myself before taking to the powder coating shop

Ive read a few older threads and some insist they are powder coated from GM ........ Nope they are in fact painted, and I was able to sand right through it by hand with 220 grit in about 5 minutes.

The grey base coat is a but tougher but still easily hand sanded through to the aluminum of the wheel.

I make motorcycle parts and do allot of powder coating, and wanted to show you these pictures I took yesterday after hand sanding a few nicks out of my brand new 2015 Z51 silver rims

This is not powder coat from the factory like some claim

Cheers Dale
Attached Images     

Last edited by Dale760; 06-24-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

I don't think I've seen anybody recently say the wheels are powder coated… They are absolutely automotive paint.....powder coat is the long term solution.

I've seen good results with DuPont imron paint too.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:47 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

It's unfortunate GM choose to paint the C7 wheels, the C6's were powdered coated and looked great even under harsh conditions. The ones on my GS were flawless for 3-4 years that I owned it.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:40 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Definitely paint, as I've repaired several instances of curb rash.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:46 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

So if you'r dealer damaged them why would you not make them fix it?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
Are you going to let your dealer place your tires back on your powder coated wheels? I had a tire shop remove and replace my tires on my powder coated wheels and they did a perfect job. I guess they get a lot of practice.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Glen e
I don't think I've seen anybody recently say the wheels are powder coated… They are absolutely automotive paint.....powder coat is the long term solution.

I've seen good results with DuPont imron paint too.

I went back and read a few threads, maybe older > of guys going back and forth, since I had to sand on them to smooth the nicks I wanted to show the wheels. Not often someone will sand a new C7 rim, so thought Id show the photos is all.

Luckily I was able to get the nicks out, and took them to the powder coater today in Sparks NV

Your right Imron is also very tough for wet paint, Ive shot motorcycle rims with it in the past

Never want to be around that paint now though ........ toxic

Cheers D
Old 06-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by TennisFreak

Because in general I like the guys at my dealership, and the tire guy is usually very good. Also I new I could most likely fix them in about an hour or so with less chance of anymore damage from the next guy.

But he was in a hurry even with me standing right there and their machine is really not great for run flats after I saw what happened. It did have the protector on it, but flexed enough so the rest of the metal shoe climbed up on top of the outer bead and did some damage.

I was to far away or I would have put the brakes on him, then I looked and the rim sitting on the floor and about Shi$$$T

I talked and showed the service manager and he said let me know what it cost to fix them. I let him know I will try to hand sand them or use palm sander carefully to see what I could do. Luckily I made them go away and after media blasted should hopefully not show any marks after powder coating

I could have been a dick and said order me two new wheels, but I live in a small town and they would have done something for me if it came to that.

I did stop at discount tire today on the way to the powder coater, both about 1 1/2 hour drive from my place. I know the guys there and they will be mounting the tires back on the rims for me with one of their newest machines in about a week.

It should all work out fine, fingers crossed the rest goes smooth

D
Old 06-24-2015, 10:31 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
It's unfortunate GM choose to paint the C7 wheels, the C6's were powdered coated and looked great even under harsh conditions. The ones on my GS were flawless for 3-4 years that I owned it.
I always had the painted GM C6 Wheels powder coated.
They didn't sell them powder coated!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Are you going to let your dealer place your tires back on your powder coated wheels? I had a tire shop remove and replace my tires on my powder coated wheels and they did a perfect job. I guess they get a lot of practice.

I may be senile ......... but Im not stupid .... ha ha

Nope they will never touch my C7 rims again

Old 06-24-2015, 11:28 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I always had the painted GM C6 Wheels powder coated.
They didn't sell them powder coated!
Wrong, do some research...my GS wheels from the factory were powder coated as well as the OEM comp gray Speedline's I purchased after I pulled the silver ones off.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevada Silver
I may be senile ......... but Im not stupid .... ha ha

Nope they will never touch my C7 rims again

Discount Tire should do a good job putting your tires back on your rims. They get a lot of practice. They WILL over tighten your lug nuts so check them and make sure they are not over 100 lbs.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:11 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Wrong, do some research...my GS wheels from the factory were powder coated as well as the OEM comp gray Speedline's I purchased after I pulled the silver ones off.
Not sure you know the difference. Plenty of research myself GM speedline Comp grays I bought for my z06 were not powder coat nor were any of the other 10 sets or so of all Corvette wheels I have had and I always get them stripped and powder coated.
Why would the GS wheels be powder coat when base, Z06 and ZR1 were not?
Old 06-26-2015, 10:15 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Not sure you know the difference. Plenty of research myself GM speedline Comp grays I bought for my z06 were not powder coat nor were any of the other 10 sets or so of all Corvette wheels I have had and I always get them stripped and powder coated.
Why would the GS wheels be powder coat when base, Z06 and ZR1 were not?
Search this thread in the C6 section,
2010 GS wheels- paint or powder coat

Kinda of strange that the C7 wheels are getting scratched and paint coming off very easy yet no cases of this in the C6 section.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Dale760
Racer

Search this thread in the C6 section,
2010 GS wheels- paint or powder coat

Kinda of strange that the C7 wheels are getting scratched and paint coming off very easy yet no cases of this in the C6 section.

I powder coat motorcycle parts I make every couple weeks, and though the C7 wheels look good from the factory, the paint is soft and cheap crap IMO.

I used 220 grit paper dry by hand, and literally had it to the Aluminum wheel in minutes

The base darker grey is tougher but still very thin sand able by hand through to the wheel

It must just be a baked acrylic paint of some sort on the C7 rims

As you know you cannot touch powder coat by hand with paper like I did

DW
Old 06-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Discount Tire should do a good job putting your tires back on your rims. They get a lot of practice. They WILL over tighten your lug nuts so check them and make sure they are not over 100 lbs.

Hi Red

Ive given them allot of business at this store buying a few set of tires and had a special set of American rims made for my Camaro & tires for my 80 C3 Ive been working on now a few years.

They have the good machines and I do know one of the best guys there that does my tire mounting and balancing for special projects. Will I let them touch my car, no thanks I have my own car lift and will bring them my wheels straight from the powder coater along with my tires. I will install my TPMs myself right there and hand them one wheel at a time.

Good call on proper torque, I had my Tundra and the dealer a few years ago and I saw the guy practically jumping on the wonderful Snap on electric wrench waiting for the beep. I yelled wait wait, and right then he snapped the stud off and I watched it roll across the floor with the lug nut on it ........ IDIOT .... zero common sense. The service manager swore the Snap on torque wrench was properly calibrated ......... I said BS, and your tech should know better the way he was reefing on the thing. Had to leave my truck to pull the hubs and install 2 new studs

Now I just pray no one at the powder coater does something stupid to my new Z51 rims that have 300 miles on them

Hopefully I get it all back by the end of next week. I have my car on my lift and will remove the front calipers and install the cooling rings along with a good caliper dust cleaning.

I have a front and rear set of Power stop Evolution Z26 ceramic pads coming I ordered from Summit I want to try, low dust and good reviews at a much lower cost of $140 total ........ but we will see how they pan out.

If I track the car I will buy good race pads for at least the front, or just put the Z51s back in and let them dust away the first time out

Cheers Dale

Last edited by Dale760; 06-26-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:26 AM
Dale760
Racer

Hi Guys

Picked up my wheels today and they did a good job with the powder coat. 80% gloss black with clear coat $450 total, including media blasting.

Took my tires and rims over to Discount tire in Sparks NV, they took their time and did not make a mark

The boo boos the dealer put in the fronts I cleaned up went away, and cant be seen

Hope to get the pads changed and wheels back on the car this weekend

Cheers Dale

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Z51 wheels, Paint or Powder

Old 07-04-2015, 11:26 PM
Dale760
Racer

Default New pads and wheels installed

Got my new Powerstop ceramic / carbon Z26 evolution low dust pads installed yesterday and wheels detailed and back on the car today.

Pads fit great and look good, fronts had the weights just like the Brembo pads. They have great reviews, for the money and a street pad I'm going to give them a try. They claim they resist brake fade up to 1500 degrees ....... which I question

$146 for all 4 corners including 2 day shipping from Summit, they were drop shipped from Powerstop directly

Here are a few pictures
Attached Images       

Last edited by Dale760; 07-04-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Dale760
Racer

4 more

I didn't use the rear retainers, they were wrong and no need to change from stock anyway
Attached Images     
Old 07-04-2015, 11:39 PM
Dale760
Racer

Default Wheels back on

Wheels turned out nice, I like the standard dark silver Z51 center cap better than black as well

Cheers Dale
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Factory Z51 wheels, Paint or Powder