Sponsored by:

If you were buying right now...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 05:46 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you were buying right now...

My wife and I are shopping right now and I was just curious, knowing what you know now, what would you do? Any features that are MUST have? Tell me exactly what you'd personally buy!

Things we are wrestling with: Targa vs. Vert. Targa top is nearly impossible for my wife to take on and off. But the actual convertible sacrifices storage. Targa also takes away a ton of storage once it's in the hatch. Can't remove targa while driving, yikes. BUT most of all, targa rear end is SO much prettier than convertible. Just don't know what to do here. We've always owned convertibles...

Next Z51. No brainer right? Well we'll never race or be on a track. Financially, we can swap the Z51 for the vert. Hmmm. Will I regret not getting it?

Magnetic ride: honestly, this seems like a must have for my wife. How can I skip anything that would soften the ride for her?

Last edited by snaphappy; 06-25-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

You would be happiest in a convertible from what you say. Don't know why you would get Z51 if you won't track it. Magnetic ride is only worth the money if you have bad roads to contend with. You may be better off getting a Cadillac if you are looking for a plush ride for the wife and have no racing intentions.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-13-2019 at 07:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by b4i4getit:
AZRenegade (06-09-2021), New driver (06-04-2019)
Old 06-25-2015, 05:57 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
My wife and I are shopping right now and I was just curious, knowing what you know now, what would you do? Any features that are MUST have? Tell me exactly what you'd personally buy!

Things we are wrestling with: Targa vs. Vert. Targa top is nearly impossible for my wife to take on and off. But the actual convertible sacrifices storage. Targa also takes away a ton of storage once it's in the hatch. Can't remove targa while driving, yikes. BUT most of all, targa rear end is SO much prettier than convertible. Just don't know what to do here. We've always owned convertibles...

Next Z51. No brainer right? Well we'll never race or be on a track. Financially, we can swap the Z51 for the vert. Hmmm. Will I regret not getting it?

Magnetic ride: honestly, this seems like a must have for my wife. How can I skip anything that would soften the ride for her?
Waiting for my 2016 so these are all my opinions having not ownend the car yet. But these opinions come from reading what a lot of owners have said.

Targa actually allows storage underneath it. Vert will have much less storage capacity.

No track=Z51 not needed. Just adds an unnecessary layer of complexity to the vehicle.

Non Z51 cars are said to have a very compliant ride in stock form.

Must have=performance exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
beaversstonehaven (06-20-2019)
Old 06-25-2015, 05:57 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Non z51 will be softest although I don't know how the mag ride option on the '16 non z51 is gonna work. I love the ride in my 15 ZF1 optioned base vert. Vert is slick as hell too other than storage. Holds 2 carry on style suitcases, woman stuff, and 1 electric guitar in a gig bag. Good enough for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:04 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

The Z51 have any effect on straight line performance?

Dealer just said " Magnetic ride is rarely ordered as it is only accesssible from track mode and is rarely needed with the sport tune suspension that comes standard"

He said this regarding a Z51 car we like.

But we're considering a custom order right now because the kalahari interior is hard to find.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

If I were lucky enough to be ordering a 2016 right now this is exactly how I would want it:

Torch Red coupe (non Z51)
Gray 3LT interior
7 speed manual
MSRC with body color Z51 spoiler and black Z51 wheels
Performance exhaust
Carbon fiber dash
Red calipers
Transparent roof
Carbon flash badge package

I personally like the idea of a convertible for the fact that the top can be lowered and raised so easily that I'd be more likely to drive way more often with it open, while I find right now with the removable roof on my C6 that I will leave it on sometimes just because I'm too lazy to take it out and put it back on again. But I just think the styling of the coupe looks much nicer, I find the convertible looks great when the top is down but not so great with the top up.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:08 PM
2HD's2vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

First as far as the vert, where do you live? It's funny because we ordered our C6 vert. as much as the wife wanting it than any other thing. However, since owning it, she seldom puts the top down. No where near as much as I would have thought. 95 degree days with the relentless sun, the hair thing, noise, wind, etc. When the top is down - she always wants the windows up

Going to be ordering a Z51 2016 2LT mag. ride coupe. On the C7 the coupe lines (rear and rear side in particular) just look so much better. Don't get me wrong, the vert. is a great looking body, but the coupe really defines the cars lines. The other thing she complains about is the lack of storage, the coupe has just about exactly double the c/f of storage. Can't go wrong either way, but just be aware the vert. might not be topless near has much as you might think.

Last edited by 2HD's2vettes; 06-25-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:21 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

Originally Posted by 2HD's2vettes
First as far as the vert, where do you live? It's funny because we ordered our C6 vert. as much as the wife wanting it than any other thing. However, since owning it, she seldom puts the top down. No where near as much as I would have thought. 95 degree days with the relentless sun, the hair thing, noise, wind, etc. When the top is down - she always wants the windows up

Going to be ordering a Z51 2016 2LT mag. ride coupe. On the C7 the coupe lines (rear and rear side in particular) just look so much better. Don't get me wrong, the vert. is a great looking body, but the coupe really defines the cars lines. The other thing she complains about is the lack of storage, the coupe has just about exactly double the c/f of storage. Can't go wrong either way, but just be aware the vert. might not be topless near has much as you might think.
All we've ever owned together is convertibles, we have an SS2/RS now and the top is never up, haha! But you're right most people don't actually enjoy their verts once they get them.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:23 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

My decisions:

My car is a street car only. No need to pay extra for big brakes, dry sump, and extra coolers that will provide no benefit on the street, and bigger wheels and lower profile tires that are more likely to be damage in my pothole filled region. Unless you routinely drive at the limit (in which case you should take it to the track) you'll not miss the Z51 package on the street. At most, add the Z51 sway bars, but keep the stock springs, shocks and tires.

'vert all the way! Yes, there's less storage, but with the top up it's not too bad. Yes, the coupe looks better, but I spend more time IN the car than looking at it, and expecially with the top down the 'vert still looks fantastic. I can't believe how may comments mine gets. And a 'vert is just more fun 90% of the time.

Mag ride? Not needed on the street with the base suspension and tires. The car rides remarkably well. Better than my Miata. And the MRC option comes with the Z51 rims and tires, and the negatives those bring.

My 2 cents worth.

Dealer just said " Magnetic ride is rarely ordered as it is only accesssible from track mode and is rarely needed with the sport tune suspension that comes standard"

But we're considering a custom order right now because the kalahari interior is hard to find.
Your dealer is an idiot. Mag Ride adjusts with the drive mode, getting stiffest in track, softest in tour, Eco or Weather. I agree with him about it not being necessary on a street car, though.

By all means, custom order to get what you want. This is (at least for me) too expensive a purchase to settle for less.

Oh, and no, the Z51 has no impact on acceleration. Better fade resistance on braking, but the trade-off is huge amounts of brake dust on the rims, and unless you're driving really hard in the mountains, or on a track, you'll never get these brakes to fade even a little.

Last edited by meyerweb; 06-25-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:26 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

I asked the dealer how much down to get the payments in the $800's for a lease. He said $12,000...Ok maybe I'm not shopping for a C7 after all.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:35 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I went from a 2008 Coupe to a 2015 Vert. I love the Vert and any future Vettes will have to be Verts.
I would not spend the money on the Z51 option or the magnetic ride. You will find the ride and performance without them above average. Everyone that has been in my Vert always comments on the great ride.
Driving the coupe with the top off does not come close to a Vert.
Get the Vert.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:36 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

He said this regarding a Z51 car we like.

The Z51 has a slightly lower drive ratio.
Sounds like the dealer was trying to steer you to his car. Mag ride works in all modes.
Here's a few more things to muddle up your decision. You do know that on the vert with the top up, the partition in the trunk will fold out of the way to allow for more trunk space? Not as much as the coupe but almost.
I think the vert with the top down looks better than the coupe and it has less wind turbulence than the coupe with the top off. Due to the waterfall the vert has less road noise.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 06-25-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

For me...I'll be putting down up to 15k. 84m finance around 3%. Employee pricing. Payments are where I'm comfortable with this setup.

I may not track...by then again, why not. So, 2LT z51 for me. I'd rather have and not need it than need it and NOT have it.

Almost ready to pull the trigger. Alllllmost.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Can't track a vert so why get a Z51?
Old 06-25-2015, 06:43 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Genius
Old 06-25-2015, 06:43 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

The lease APR of 5.98% for 3 years is insane if you have good credit. I financed mine at 1.64% for 6 years when I bought it.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:49 PM
snaphappy
Cruising

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
The lease APR of 5.98% for 3 years is insane if you have good credit. I financed mine at 1.64% for 6 years when I bought it.
Credit score is 717. I thought that was good haha

Get notified of new replies

To If you were buying right now...

Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
1.64 is awesome. My CU has similar but I need the 84 months, so the rate is a tad higher. I'll probably get below 3...but just planning worse case.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:57 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm gonna get a Z51 1LT manual coupe. If I were you I would get a ?LT convertible, auto with magride.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:58 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Depends on the track.

I have a Z51 vert & enjoy the eLSD. I don't mind having the extra cooling of the transmission & differential and the extra capacity of the dry sump oil system on the interstate on a hot day either. The low stance of the vert along with the larger tires and rims make for quite an aggressive look too.

Quick Reply: If you were buying right now...