Sponsored by:

Jacking up the C7

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 02:55 AM
sandcracker21
Pro

Received 514 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Jacking up the C7

Pardon my ignorance, I have never owned a Corvette before and I understand you need to use jacking pucks to lift the car?

Are these necessary? Where does one place the jack stand after using the pucks?

Thanks for the help
Old 06-26-2015, 06:48 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Jacking pucks are inserted into the four tie-down slots used for shipping the car. Your can make your own from hockey pucks or buy them from forum vendors. Your manual shows the other recommended support points.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:44 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by sandcracker21
Are these necessary?
The pucks are not "necessary", you can carefully place the jack on the frame where the tie-downs hook in. Look for a slot in the frame under the door, front and back. Be careful not to place the jack on the rocker panel! You'll crack the panel. Also, there's a chance the jack might slip and crunch the rocker panels, therefore most people buy the pucks. I bought the "stay in place" type so any jack man has them when needed. The jack stands go under the frame as depicted in the owner's manual, no conflict with the jacking pucks.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:50 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, I have never owned a Corvette before and I understand you need to use jacking pucks to lift the car?

Are these necessary? Where does one place the jack stand after using the pucks?

Thanks for the help
Yep, you can read what's required in the Owner's Manual (page 10-4/5) What's different for the C7 versus my C6 is it specified max 2 1/2 inch diameter jack pads versus the 3 inch diameter I had used. I found some of the rocker panels were close to the access hole (also a frame hole used for transporting the car.) If you don't use them or the pads are too large and hit the composite plastic rocker panels they can crack. When I brought my car to the dealer when I got it in October 2013 to have the differential fluid level checked per GM request, and I put the four 2" OD jack pads I fabricated on the passenger seat and told the Service Scheduler (great person who I knew from work done on my C6) to be sure they were used. She said "Don't worry I'll only let them use the drive on alignment rack since we already cracked a Vette rocker panel!" They have ~12 center post lifts. You'll also want to get 4 so if you bring it to a tire store etc they can use them. If you plan on getting side shirts get ones 2 inches high to clear. You'll also need a low profile jack. When I added side skirts bought four 2" high x 2 1/2" OD.
Here's a colored pic I made from one in the current Service Manual. The warning was put in after a poster said he jacked his car up from the front spring and caused it to bend!

GM lifting points. Note for rear and front cradle location you'll need a cross brace if you want to jack directly from the front or rear.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-26-2015 at 07:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (04-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2015, 08:57 AM
b1adesofcha0s
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting that JerryU, it's very helpful! So the red circles are where you'd ideally put the jack stands?
Old 06-26-2015, 10:16 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by b1adesofcha0s
Thanks for posting that JerryU, it's very helpful! So the red circles are where you'd ideally put the jack stands?
Edit: sorry, i read that as jacking pucks.

The red circles are where the jacking pucks go. You can lift the car from the other jacking points, and place jack stands under the pucks. I generally prefer to put the stands under either the green or blue circled areas.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:47 AM
b1adesofcha0s
Instructor

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Edit: sorry, i read that as jacking pucks.

The red circles are where the jacking pucks go. You can lift the car from the other jacking points, and place jack stands under the pucks. I generally prefer to put the stands under either the green or blue circled areas.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by b1adesofcha0s
Actually you use the jacking pads/pucks and use a low profile jack(s) or scissor jack(s) to raise the car. Then I put jack stands on the front cradle member (Blue Circles) when changing oil so have full access to the drain plugs. Since I like to have the car level when changing oil, I first put the jack pads in the rear slots, jack it up and put stanchions I made from a 2X6 and some scrape plywood under the tires. I will not get under the car with 4 jack stands. In fact the warning label on one of of my pairs of stands says, "Use only on one end of the car."
Worked on cars with my Dad and he would insist that I hit the jacked up car hard with my shoulder to see if it was safe! He had a friend die when a car fell on him so was always rightfully cautious!

Jack up rear first and put stanchions under the wheels then jack up the front and use jack stands.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

"Leave-in-place" pucks look like this:

Old 06-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Rockmaninoff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a dumb question. I have jack stands that look like the attached picture. Never used them before on my C7, not sure if I should.

Should I use the low-profile jack on the sides and then place the stands on the green circles?

Looking to do my M7 CAGS eliminator soon.

Last edited by Rockmaninoff; 06-26-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 06-26-2015, 04:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff
Maybe a dumb question. I have jack stands that look like the attached picture. Never used them before on my C7, not sure if I should.

Should I use the low-profile jack on the sides and then place the stands on the green circles?

Looking to do my M7 CAGS eliminator soon.

That will work. I have jack stand pads but just be careful and not really needed. This pic if from those sold by harbor Freight for ~$8 a pair.

Jack Stand Pads Avoid Scratching Frame
Old 06-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Rockmaninoff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if I jack up one side at a time, there's no issue with weight distribution, etc.?

So plan is to use the driver rear jacking puck, place one jack stand underneath, then use the passenger rear jacking puck, and place the second jack stand.

No problem?
Old 06-26-2015, 05:13 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff
And if I jack up one side at a time, there's no issue with weight distribution, etc.?

So plan is to use the driver rear jacking puck, place one jack stand underneath, then use the passenger rear jacking puck, and place the second jack stand.

No problem?
If you're just installing the CAGS, I found best access was between the rear tire and where the rear drivers jack pad is located. Just be sure the jack stand is secure. Frankly I usually keep the jack in place with no load as extra safety. I did jack up both sides and had two jack stands in place.
One other jacking issue. If using a low profile hydraulic jack as you raise the car the jack must slide into the car to keep the jack saddle centered on the jack pad. Be sure it is perpendicular to the car so it can move directly into the car. That is an advantage of a scissor jack, it lifts straight up. It's also less expensive but takes more work.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-26-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:45 PM
sandcracker21
Pro

I never thought it could be so difficult/confusing to raise a car...
Old 06-26-2015, 06:50 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I never thought it could be so difficult/confusing to raise a car...

Not difficult. Just need to have the right equipment and know what you are doing. We all had to learn the same as you at some point.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:57 PM
b1adesofcha0s
Instructor

I've got a low profile jack and 4 jack stands in my garage already. Was planning on getting 2 pairs of the leave-in jack pads after I take delivery of my C7.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 PM
sandcracker21
Pro

Originally Posted by JerryU

So to summarize, I install jack pucks in the wholes where the red circles are. Jack car using these as presure points for said jack..

Is there any issue raising one side first? Do you guys/gals place the Jack stands on the green circles or right next to the jack pucks?

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking up the C7

Old 06-27-2015, 06:54 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

I hate to see what the follow-up "How do I install my CAGS" post is going to look like...
Old 06-27-2015, 09:00 PM
beekeeper
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 30 Posts

I have installed jacking pucks, race ramps and these jack stands.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

So to summarize, I install jack pucks in the wholes where the red circles are. Jack car using these as presure points for said jack..

Is there any issue raising one side first? Do you guys/gals place the Jack stands on the green circles or right next to the jack pucks?
The is no place next to the jack stands to put jack stands. They would be on the rocker panels, which are composite reinforced plastic and will crack. The jack stands can be put on the green circles or blue circle/area.

Quick Reply: Jacking up the C7