Sponsored by:

Time for Corvette to attack Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:56 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Enzo Ferrari once said his greatest regret was that his cars were too expensive to be enjoyed by those (young people) who would enjoy them the most.
That's a pretty cool statement. I'm going to make it right for him. Ferrari sell me a 488 for 20k please and thank you!!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Enzo Ferrari once said his greatest regret was that his cars were too expensive to be enjoyed by those (young people) who would enjoy them the most.
The same doesnt apply to the Corvette. Its not that expensive, the base is still in the 50's. In the article low cost is part of the #1 reason people buy them.

http://carzz.co/designbook/2507/ten-...r-stereotypes/

1. They're in the middle of a mid-life crisis
Apparently, many people who are having a mid-life crisis don't have too much cash to blow. Instead of going for a Ferrari that breaks all the time and costs a few mortgage payments to fix, or a Porsche that keeps the mechanic's son in medical school, many people who are realizing they're not mortal go for a Corvette. I guess at the same time they're realizing they're getting older and they need to feel young, they are also thinking about saving for retirement, so they go for a car with a wild image that isn't too expensive.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:02 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I can't see any reason why Corvette can't introduce a SUV while under the Chevrolet, same for a mid-engine Vette. If someone says under the Chevy banner, the Corvette SUV would be associated with the line-up of Chevy or GMC SUVs, breaking from Chevrolet won't stop that association in the minds of buyers.
The way GM does things, a separate Corvette branded SUV would just be a restyled and rebadged GMC or Cadillac. A Corvette sedan would be a restyled and rebadged Chevy SS. There's no real gain for GM to cannibalize sales of one division to supply another. Although it is possible a Corvette sedan would sell better than the almost invisible Chevy SS.
Anything with more than 2 doors and more than 2 seats -- and without V8 and RWD -- is by definition not a Corvette. To make a Corvette sedan or SUV would badly, horribly dilute what is a Corvette and it's not gonna happen. But the Stingray/Z06/ZR1 (plus convertibles) would be a good lineup for the Corvette brand... and eventually the Zora MR Corvette.

Quick Reply: Time for Corvette to attack Porsche