Sponsored by:

Oil Temperature and Paddle Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:14 AM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Oil Temperature and Paddle Shifting

Today, I was playing around with the paddle shifters and I noticed my oil temperature went up about 15 to 30 degrees in a matter of seconds (maybe 30 seconds). Normally, the oil temperature hovers around 215 degrees. It makes sense the oil would get hotter because you are generally running the engine at higher RPMs while in paddle shifting mode, but it still surprised me.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 06-27-2015, 10:43 AM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi6998
Today, I was playing around with the paddle shifters and I noticed my oil temperature went up about 15 to 30 degrees in a matter of seconds (maybe 30 seconds). Normally, the oil temperature hovers around 215 degrees. It makes sense the oil would get hotter because you are generally running the engine at higher RPMs while in paddle shifting mode, but it still surprised me.

Has anyone else noticed this?
The oil temps went up fast likely because when you used the paddle shifter you ran the engine RPMs up higher than if you left the car in Auto mode. Certainly I notice the oil temps going up and up in a matter of seconds when I start running the RPMs up over 4000 and keep them there for even short, but sustained driving. The C7 could seriously use a much more effective engine oil cooler as opposed to that useless heat exchanger. I plan on putting one in as soon as the aftermarket offers it.

Quick Reply: Oil Temperature and Paddle Shifting