Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 A/C not up for the summer heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:51 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

I see many complaints regarding utilizing AUTO mode for the AC. I can't guarantee this will provide everyone with the "fix" you want, but I (and others) have found that if you go into the Settings Menu and set the Fan Mode for Auto to go to Max, rather than Medium (which I believe is the default), this allows the AC to run full blast until the cabin is cooled, at which time it will reduce fan speed, accordingly.

Since making this simple change, I find AUTO mode works great to run the AC... even during the current "Heat Wave" we're experiencing here in "Portlandia"! --- It's a quick settings "fix" that I at least recommend giving a try. Good Luck!
Old 06-30-2015, 04:10 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Had 98+ temps here last week with no problems either from A/C, seats, or cooling system during a 1 hr parade. Was surprised and pleased.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:16 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

No problem here in Maryland, even with the high heat and humidity. A/C and seat cooling (ventilation) all work fine. Coolness into lower back is NICE!

Another recommendation to take it in to dealer for a look-see.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Formula52
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

My A/C is perfect on my 2015... And it was in the 90's.... Even checked it with an A/C thermometer and it was between 40 & 45 degrees. Exactly where my 2008 C6 was....
Old 06-30-2015, 04:25 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 456 Posts

The A/C in my C7 is so cold I have to open the window to let in some warm air.It works to good.I would see your dealer.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:33 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by amphora001
I've noticed that the cool seats don't cool very much. Also the AC is not very strong. I think it has to do with the placement of the center vent being so high, and that the 2nd center vent is pointed at the passenger. I can't really direct the air flow on my right arm or lower chest. I often end up lowering the window and let the wind in.

The other thing is that I tinted the windows, 1 shade over the legal limit, but it's not enough IMO. It's not even that hot here, around 76 degrees, but the UV is strong.

Do you have the same issue? I don't suppose there's any easy fit.

On the flip side of the coin, I had the roof off one night and it was getting cold, about 60 outside + wind. I turned on the Auto Climate control to 75, and the car blow ice cold air. So i had to turn it off.
Maybe you should get a thermometer for a more objective analysis of your AC's cooling ability. It's been above 90 degrees here for over a month and I rarely set my temp below 69 or my blower above 3.

Are you using auto or just the AC? I noticed the auto in this car doesn't work all that well, I just turn the temp **** down until I like the air temp, and set the blower speed at 2. I don't have tinted windows but my car is white, I'm sure that helps.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:41 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by PegasusCapital
Take it to your dealer and have it checked out. My A/C works perfectly!
Old 06-30-2015, 05:23 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

At slower engine speeds, the A/C compressor is also turning slowly, and not working as effectively. At low road speeds, you're not moving as much air through the A/C radiator, so it's not going to cool as effectively. In those situations, switching to recirc can help a lot, as it will any time you feel it's not cooling well enough.

Also, if you're in auto mode, note that there is a setting to control the maximum fan speed in auto. By default, it's set to medium, which may not be ideal when it's really hot out.

I find my A/C works fine when I'm moving at reasonable speeds. Not so good at idle, but switching to recirc helps a lot then.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:44 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

No problem here, but I had the heater on today as it only got to 49. The heater works well but unfortunately I can't test when it get down to -40 here as the snow is too deep.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:02 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

No problem here.

Now someone else post no problem and their location like 2 pages of that doesn't help him.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:03 PM
Pelee4me
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It cools the car if you don't mind the fan screaming all the time. The system is way too noisy.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:11 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In order for the "ventilated" seats to "cool," you'll need to direct cool air to the floor area by selecting the appropriate button.

Ventilated seats only have a fan with no actual cooling function. If the air on the floor is hot, then air being vented through seat will be warm as well.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:10 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman6161
For those having issues, have you tried changing the settings to allow the fan to run at max speed when in Auto mode? If the car is hot to begin with, like if its been sitting in the sun, and the fan can't ramp up to maximum, then I could see it taking quite a while to cool down.

Did this on mine. Works fine now. The "cooled" seats are not air conditioned, it just pulls ambient air so if it's not cool, neither will the seats. If it's over 90 and I have the top off, I've found if you run the A/C on recirculate, fan full, and vents and floor, then the seats get enough of the cool air to stay relatively comfortable.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:48 AM
vinnie12345
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I've noticed that the cool seats don't cool very much. Also the AC is not very strong. I think it has to do with the placement of the center vent being so high, and that the 2nd center vent is pointed at the passenger. I can't really direct the air flow on my right arm or lower chest. I often end up lowering the window and let the wind in.

The other thing is that I tinted the windows, 1 shade over the legal limit, but it's not enough IMO. It's not even that hot here, around 76 degrees, but the UV is strong.

On the flip side of the coin, I had the roof off one night and it was getting cold, about 60 outside + wind. I turned on the Auto Climate control to 75, and the car blow ice cold air. So i had to turn it off.

It's been 100-116 here in Vegas and I'm surprised how good the AC is. Even sitting in stop and go trefoil no issues. Go see you dealer!!
Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,656 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Something isn't right. We've had 100 degree days and the AC was fine. I don't have any window tint other than what is in the factory glass. Albeit had to lower the temp from my normal 72 to 70, when I got in the hot car that had been parked in the hot sun for 45 mintues, placed it on recirculate for perhaps 5 minutes then back to auto.
The fan in the seat only blows whatever air is in the car.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:24 AM
financialplan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been 100 plus here in Silicon valley, A/C has no problem keeping cool.
I don't use auto though, coolest setting and adjust fan speed.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:00 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

At spring mountain the 2 days I was there temps where 110 and 113. A/C did a fine job even while at idle and on the track.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:13 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

if you had the trnsparent top on, not really a surprise. C5 is the same way. In summer had to run the AC on full high and would still break a sweat.

Thats why I opten to not get the transparent roof on the C7. Nowhere near as warm inside, and I dont think I'v evef had thhe fan more than 3 clicks.

Also try using bi-level, and make sure sync is on. It does make a differnece if your passenger has boosted the temp on that side.

Quick Reply: C7 A/C not up for the summer heat