Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Reliability Issues: Myth or Reality?

Old 06-30-2015, 01:18 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
The long term report from Road and Track July Issue was almost 100 % positive! 27k miles and only one comment about clumsy 4 cyl operation! I agreed with their assessment but only have 12k on mine!
Didn't Motor Trend have to get a new motor in their silver one?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:19 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/09/...2014-corvette/
Old 06-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Lawnmower7200
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just registered here. Thinking about trading my '03 Boxster for a Base C7. I'm reading this forum for the obvious, which is, would I be getting myself into a reliability hole. My conclusion after browsing for a couple of weeks is "Don't think so", based on what looks to me to be an unusually low rate of complaints and rants.

For instance, if you guys think there are A8 issues, browse on over to the powertrain section of the 2014-2015 Silverado forum at gm-trucks.com. Yikes!! Dozens and dozens of reports of all kinds of issues, such as missed shifts and transmissions that go out to lunch when you push on the gas. Haven't seen anything like that here. And yes, I realize that there are tons more Silverados out there than Corvettes, but still...

I should also point out that I have a 2014 Silverado (5.3L, A6) that's about as close to perfect as one could reasonably expect. Thus my interest in the possibility of the Boxster-C7 exchange.

So I'd say, based on the relative absence of streams of similar horror stories, that these products appear to be somewhat better than today's average and I'm not at all concerned that I'd be jumping out of an extremely reliable piece of hardware into some kind of snake pit. Tha C7 looks like a LOT of car for a reasonable amount of money.

BTW, that horror story about the damaged engine at 6000 miles (link in a previous post) was reported to be due to manufacturing debris in the oil filter, not something that occurred during engine manufacture. The scary part of it is how easily it is to incur thousands of $$ of damage due to a poorly made $10 item. Think I'll be sticking to Mobil-1 filters, which, BTW, I always clean out with a blast of compressed air before installing.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:18 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
The long term report from Road and Track July Issue was almost 100 % positive! 27k miles and only one comment about clumsy 4 cyl operation! I agreed with their assessment but only have 12k on mine!
A random sample goes to three car rags and two of them have major problems. What are the odds??
Old 06-30-2015, 02:24 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

One year old and no reliability issues with mine, hasn't been back for service except to change the oil. Kinda glad I have the A6 though after hearing about the issues on this forum with some A8's. Always bugs to work out with new power train components, status normal.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:15 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

The Vette is not going to be reliable as a Honda or Lexus, but it's a hell of a lot more fun. If you look at Consumer Reports- the Vette always gets the highest possible rating for "owner satisfaction".

I was considering a Jaguar F-Type until I saw at least 5 used ones showing up on Autotrader already as "Lemon Law" buybacks on their CarFaxes.

One of my co-workers had a new Porsche 911, and it was ALWAYS in the shop.

I'm a little leery of the long term reliability of the new eLSD, so I purchased a non-Z51. I had all 4 MRC shocks leak/fail prematurely on my XLR- expensive as hell to replace, so opted for non-MRC on my C7. Will see how the reliability is the first year or so before deciding to buy the extended warranty.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:30 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by marco383
First off, I am neither a lurker nor a hater on this forum, and have even had fleeting moments of lust for a C7. But...that has been snuffed out by the tales of detonating LT1s and LT4s, various overheating threads, wonky A8s, and now Car and Driver reporting that its long term 2014 Z51 has set a new low for problems, capped by a self destroying engine at 6000 miles.

I realize that any new platform, especially one as full of high tech stuff as the C7, will be subject to a few bugs, but this seems to be beyond anything I've ever heard of.

Fire away!
You're reading a condensed version of problems from persnickety owners. If you want one, buy one. It probably won't have problems, and if it does the dealer will very likely fix them.

Why miss out on something good because you read complaints online? The vast majority of owners are thrilled with the car. I had a 2012 Mustang GT for my last car and if you went on forums you would have thought every single MT82 transmission was a sticky un-shifting mess. People on forums complained so much that the NHTSA opened and investigation. My trans was great, so were most people's.

If every car had it's owners report problems on the internet the way certain high performance or "enthusiast" car owners do you would probably never buy another car again.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:30 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...read-this.html
Old 06-30-2015, 04:42 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I don't think the C7 (being the newest Vette) has had any more or less problems than any other new model. Before the C7 came out it got A LOT of press and hype as is normal.. there are a lot of performance improvements and technology that went into the car over the C6 (again normal and you would expect)

Since it's still relatively new, it still gets a lot of press by default so any one big failure is going to draw a lot of attention. Plus as has been said , people tend to post mostly when there is a problem on car forums. Same thing with news... good news = boring, bad news and drama = lots of attention and readers/viewers

I just put a deposit on a new Scat Pack Challenger..I've been lurking on the Challenger forums now, and while I didn't see any blown engine threads...they have their fair share of concerns/problems just like here.

The only thing I will say, I would NEVER buy a C7Z06 or C6ZR1 top of the line Vette..this is due to the fact there just is not the dealer support or intelligence out there to service a car that expensive properly.. yes there are a few , but thats it.

Last edited by FrankTank; 06-30-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

2015 A8 Vert with no problems to date. True, only 2650 miles, but VERY happy with this Corvette and would definitely purchase it again. I think it is a terrific car.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:17 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by motomanvette
A random sample goes to three car rags and two of them have major problems. What are the odds??
OTOH, how did the car rags drive them, compared to the typical owner?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:50 PM
csred58vette
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I am on second C7 and have loved both cars. I have had no issues with either the 2014 A6 or the 2015 A8. I also own a Porsche Turbo and it is a great car but i bought 2 corvettes for less than one Porsche. I drive the corvettes more than the Porsche because I like the drive and comfort better than the Porsche.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:59 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Don't the car mags often get early production models as well?

Also- keep in mind that if something breaks, American parts typically are much cheaper than foreign parts.
gmpartsoutlet.net
gmpartsdirect.com
www.gmpartsdirect.co
Usually offer 20-50% off MSRP.

My friends spent over $12k repairing their 2005 MB SL500 in just one year and 8k of miles driving it. Parts are so crazy expensive.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

I just read a blog pointing out the best 10 cars built in America. Corvette was number 7. So much for the car mags.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
You hear about planes crashing more than you hear about them landing.
Precisely
Old 07-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Cee7
Navigator

Default Not firestarter

Just seeing if anyone had issues with a lil whine that's all....dont get me wrong this has to b the baddest sexiest ride I've ever owned....I get the hype thing new runs ...was just checking in basically. ...trust me from a true blue ford ...I'm in luv with this bow tie
Old 07-01-2015, 05:59 AM
Cee7
Navigator

Love it

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Reliability Issues: Myth or Reality?

Old 07-01-2015, 07:40 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,603 Likes on 6,616 Posts

Originally Posted by marco383
First off, I am neither a lurker nor a hater on this forum, and have even had fleeting moments of lust for a C7. But...that has been snuffed out by the tales of detonating LT1s and LT4s, various overheating threads, wonky A8s, and now Car and Driver reporting that its long term 2014 Z51 has set a new low for problems, capped by a self destroying engine at 6000 miles.

I realize that any new platform, especially one as full of high tech stuff as the C7, will be subject to a few bugs, but this seems to be beyond anything I've ever heard of.

Fire away!
Been following the C7 well before they started production. In fact ordered mine months before it started, it was built in September 2013. I have had essentially no problems and none needing service..
I actively follow Vette forums and what you mention are by far exceptions. With some 70,000 built there will be a few! IMO, many issues relate to folks not understanding how the car works (understandable.) Issues with the high performance tires promoted frequent threads in the two winters since I received my car. (What's funny to me there was panic when there was a caution about tires possibly cracking when it was cold mentioned by Michelin. I asked a question when it got warm how many had tires that actually cracked? There were very few of the vocal posters on the subject responding!) Same with what GM calls "tire chatter" when temps get below ~40F and when making very slow, full lock turns. Panic about the tires when all they had to do on cold days is turn the wheel ~1/2 turn from full lock when backing out of the garage/parking place and use a "K" turn.
Many posts of "problems" were caused by the low price of the Z51 for folks who didn't need a dry sump or high performance brakes, IMO! GM hyped the need for mag shocks causing some to get the Z51 for that reason. I recall a poster saying he was not going to use his watch to check the oil level. Fine, wait to long, like overnight, the oil drains back into the pan thru the scavenge pump gears and you complain about oil usage, overfill and have oil coming out the air filter! Unfortunately some Z51 owners who had the dealer make oil changes also had their cars overfilled with similar results. The brake pads in a Z51 produce a lot of dust, even I switched to Carbotech 1521's.
Some of my posts related to hatch closing and M7 seat memory issues. Both easily solved, i.e. by opening the door before closing the hatch or my recent addition a Window Valet. That is being fixed for 2016 with a motorized pull down. There was a software option offered for the seat memory that some folks like.
There are other minor issues but that is my observation from mostly daily view of forum comments.
The forum has been a big help to me in understanding a number of items including the infotainment system where younger owners show how to navigate thru the many options. I find the forum very useful and don't expect folks to post every day, "what a great car!" But every day when I get into my C7 DD I say to myself, what a car-best I every owned!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-01-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:10 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Its a high priced Chevy. If you don't have any unrealistic expectations of build quality or durability its just as good as any other Chevy.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 07-01-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:27 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Myth.
Build quality is excellent.
Car has been very reliable for 14+ months now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Reliability Issues: Myth or Reality?