Buying from a small dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawnmower7200
Just registered here. Interested in possible trade to a new C7 (base) from an '03 Boxster, but have some concerns about dealer issues.

First let me say that I have a good relationship with a nearby Chevy dealer from whom I've bought a couple of Silverados (latest a 2014). They've treated me well, they're competent and honest. The dealership owner sits in his office 10' from the showroom, and knows many of his customers on a first-name basis. Most of the staff has been there forever. Pick a sales guy at random and chances are he'll have been employed there over 20 years.

However, they probably don't sell more than 3-4 Corvettes/year. I don't think you can maintain competence in the service department at that low a rate, no matter how dedicated and well-intentioned everyone is. It's sort of like expecting airline pilots to remain competent with only 150 hours a year flying time.

It's indicative of their Corvette sales when you see that they've had a Z07 sitting there, unsold, for over a month even though they're not pulling nonsense like marking it up over list.

So I guess my question is this: What is the general feeling about sticking with a low-volume dealer? There are probably lots of members here who are faced with a similar situation who don't have Kerbeck in their back yard. (Kerbeck is 120 miles from here). Do you think the risk is manageable? Or are you one fault away from finding yourself caught up in something like swaite's "Dealer screwed up my car" situation?
Buying and servicing are two different things! I live 1000 miles from Kerbeck and bought my '08 from them because my local dealer (who I bought 2 other Vettes from) said we only get an allocation of about 1 per month and can't come close to the price of a high volume dealer! They were very happy to service my car!
From comments on another recent thread where folks are concerned if they get their car at $200 versus $500 over dealer invoice there is no wonder a small dealer can't match those prices! Also why they no doubt make more servicing and selling parts! When I bought my C7 the local large dealer did not even have a C7 allocation!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-01-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 AM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2000 means an allocation has been used and any constraints have been accounted for. 2000 means the order will be built. Constraints no longer apply except possibly in the sequencing of the build.

Laborsmith
Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Are you assuming that no one except the forum dealers will deal on price? I got military discount at a small dealer with no problem. Factor in the USAA discount and I got 10% off locally and didn't have to do the courtesy delivery dance or drive it 1500 miles home.
Yes some local dealers will give you a great deal and get you the car-as you experienced, however the operative word is "some". All of the large volume forum dealers will give you a great deal and get you the car quickly.

Why take chances if you do not have to?
Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Yes some local dealers will give you a great deal and get you the car-as you experienced, however the operative word is "some". All of the large volume forum dealers will give you a great deal and get you the car quickly.

Why take chances if you do not have to?
Respectfully, and I do mean respectfully as I am not trying to start anything...........I think everyone has had different experiences in buying cars. For me, and MANY in my corvette club in the past year or so, trying to buy a corvette from the 'big' dealers proved to be challenging, at best. Based upon my experience if I buy another corvette I will 1st look at 1 or 2 local small dealers---and even pay more (how much more I honestly don't know) before I would deal with one of the 'big' dealers again.

Why?

* Big dealers can be very unreasonable regarding trade-ins. Some make it very clear they are not interested in trades. One, where I had previously purchased two corvettes with minimal negotiations, etc, offered me $10K less than others; another out of state dealer didn't want to talk about a trade.

* One out of state dealer was VERY upset that I had asked another Forum member to check out the car to see how good or bad the orange peel was. Dealer flat out said he could no longer sell to me since I didn't trust him-----I explained it was just common sense to have someone give the car a once over (and the guy that did so was a very good customer of the dealers--per the dealer).

* Took one big dealer a little over a month to respond to my two emails. He said he was just too busy????

* And a buyer for one of these expensive toys (and that is what they are for folks in the North where we can only drive the car some 6 months a year) doesn't need to be treated like dirt. Like the dealer that took 3-4 days to return phone calls or answer emails---and when he did return the emails it was with 1-3 curt, half sentences that still didn't answer the questions. And the replies come at closing time so you couldn't reply or call the guy back. This was a common complaint for this dealer from the club members...along with his lack of interest in dealing fairly with the trade-ins.

* Another out of state 'big' dealer didn't answer 2-3 emails to their web site. And when I finally was able to reach someone via the phone they were rude; told me in a derogatory tone when I asked how I would go about getting the car delivered to me..... "That is your problem." "You own the car once you pay for it and we have nothing more to do with it." And whenever I called him back at the phone number he provided, it was for a finance company with a name that had nothing to do with the dealer?

* And there is always the dealer where a group of us cruised to.......2-3 folks had their checkbooks and car titles with them, all ready to do a deal...............but the MAN wouldn't get out if his chair for a good 45 minutes to greet folks; and gave everyone the clear impression we were aggravating him whenever he was asked a question. The 2-3 guys bought their cars elsewhere over the next several months.

* Finally, there is the other 'big' dealer where I had a deal all worked out, and when I asked if I could have the same deal applied to the a new orange C7 they had coming in within the next 10 days------I never heard back and they never replied to any more of my emails. Two weeks later about 5 of us cruised to the dealer while one guy got the oil changed on the C7 he bought there............the orange C7 was still on the lot......and I had my title and checkbook with me-------the salesperson wouldn't even acknowledge I was there until we were leaving when he gave me a curt hello.

I guess I am venting............but my point is the 'big' dealers aren't always worth dealing with...........and my experience isn't rare-----all of the above are the common complaints MANY in my corvette club have experiences in the last year or so.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 AM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have purchased from both, large dealer got the car faster but I liked dealing with the local dealer on this last purchase. I got a better trade in value from the local dealer. Also I feel better get the car services where I purchased it, they have a little skin in the game. Just my thoughts of course.
Eric
Old 07-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I should of qualified my statement by saying no trade involved as that complicates everything. I can see a large dealer not wanting to get involved with a "used" car. Plus my personal experience in going to small dealers and then finally to a large volume dealer did not include a trade.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I should of qualified my statement by saying no trade involved as that complicates everything. I can see a large dealer not wanting to get involved with a "used" car. Plus my personal experience in going to small dealers and then finally to a large volume dealer did not include a trade.
Did not consider wanting to trade when I made my comments. That was the OP's first issue with "large dealers" and IMO is the reason for all the other issues he raised! Data I saved said Kerbeck sold 1200+new Vettes, think that was for 2014. How could you expect someone in Atlantic City to take used Vettes for sale? They probably have to wholesale them. If its a bit beat-up probably the only thing to do! I put my '08 on Autotrader and sold it in one day to a fellow who flew in from 1000+ miles away and drove it home. If you have a quality car with low mileage and do a good job advertising, including on the forum, you can get well over what any dealer will give you. Sold all 3 of my prior Vettes on my own.
A local dealer taking in only a few Vettes in very good condition can sell them himself and make money on both transactions. Will not do as well as selling on your own and buying from a large dealer but to each his own.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Cheech Wizard
Le Mans Master

Location: Orlando, Florida, MY Corvette is BEST Corvette because MID-ENGINE!
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

I would give the small local dealer 3 weeks from the time of handing over the deposit check for the order to reach 2000 status (and tell the dealer of the 3 week limit). After 3 weeks, take back the deposit and order from a large Forum dealer.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:54 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow, I can't believe you guys put up with that kind of stuff just to spend your money on a car. Amazing.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:39 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought mine new last December (7 miles on the clock) from a small dealer 130 miles away. He happened to have exactly what I wanted in stock (and had it in the showroom for three months). This dealership is so small there is only room for one car in the showroom. They were so happy to have someone interested they immediately took $7.5k off sticker before talking trade. After closing the deal the wife and I got taken to lunch and when we returned, the car was ready with red carpet all around it for us to walk on for our examination. I was a little intimidated when taking it to my local dealers service department (who wouldn't budge from list price) for an oil change because I bought elsewhere but they were very happy to service it.

Edited to add: After using the Chevrolet website configurator, you can search within a given radius of your zip for close matching "dealer stock" vehicles.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 07-01-2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-01-2015, 06:43 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

3 of my local dealers wouldn't let me testdrive the Vette, not even a used C7 with 2500 miles. So decided to give my business to the 1 local dealer that let me drive both the coupe and convertible. When I put down my deposit 5 minutes after the testdrive, they were super friendly and cool---of course they told me "oh sure- easily 8 weeks to get your car".

This weekend will be now mark week # 14. I have not received 1 single call or e-mail from the salesperson during this entire period. Had to get all my updates from GM Chat. Finally had to escalate the lack of communication to the GM Zone manager.

I only stumbled across my VIN because they had my car listed for sale and "in transit" on their website.
The general manager is finally responding to my e-mails, but the whole process has been beyond frustrating. I would hope that the larger dealers would have better communication, although sounds like a few are quite arrogant and act like they are "just too busy" to respond to calls and e-mails.
Every time I go to my local dealer, the salesfloor is DEAD. Hardly anyone shopping. So not sure what they are so busy with?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:45 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If they have an allocation, no reason you should have an extended wait.

As far as using a small dealer for any needed repairs, no real reason not to, especially if you have a good relationship with them. I've bought three Vettes from my local dealer, who does not get but maybe one allocation a year for a Vette if even that and I've never had any problems with them fixing my car when needed.
The large difference is typically not just the allocations that a high volume dealership has, but also the price in many cases (not all) will be lower too.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:46 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Wow- that is a miracle that the 1 Vette in the showroom just happened to have all of the options you wanted!! You saved yourself many weeks of painfully waiting like many of us have endured, and got an amazing discount.

Glad to know other service departments are happy to work on it.
Was a little nervous about that for mine.

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
I bought mine new last December (7 miles on the clock) from a small dealer 130 miles away. He happened to have exactly what I wanted in stock (and had it in the showroom for three months). This dealership is so small there is only room for one car in the showroom.

I was a little intimidated when taking it to my local dealers service department (who wouldn't budge from list price) for an oil change because I bought elsewhere but they were very happy to service it.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Lawnmower7200
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Welp, as it so happens, my dealer just got in a couple of cars for stock and one of them is very close to what I had in mind. So I go visit with my Boxster trade and they make me a very fair deal - no BS/game-playing/negotiating. I haven't pulled out the checkbook just yet, but it's getting very tempting.

Since I first posted this I also test-drove a Cayman with the PDK transmission. Amazing. If you've never driven a dual-clutch auto, you ought to try one. If you're a manual-transmission holdout (as I was) it may well change your thinking. The Corvette, BTW, has the A8, which for sure, is no PDK. But then, it won't accumulate black crud in the clutch fluid reservoir.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:55 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sanantguy
Order from a tiny dealership and you'll be lucky to have your car by next year.
I ordered from a small dealer and had my car in 7 weeks!!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:35 PM
roadsterboy
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 98 Posts

where in PA are you? I just ordered from a lower volume corvette dealer in western PA and I am confident they will deliver, they just sold off the last two '15 corvettes yesterday.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Lawnmower7200
Advanced

Originally Posted by roadsterboy
where in PA are you?
Lehigh Valley.

There are loads of Chevy dealers around here. When I started this thread there wasn't a Corvette to be had anywhere, except for the Z06 that my dealer has had sitting there for months. Now everyone has at least one and some as many as four and five. The funny thing was that the one closest to what I was interested in just magically appeared at my preferred dealer.

I have a feeling it will be in my garage by this time next week.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying from a small dealer

Old 08-07-2015, 12:30 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawnmower7200
Just registered here. Interested in possible trade to a new C7 (base) from an '03 Boxster, but have some concerns about dealer issues.

First let me say that I have a good relationship with a nearby Chevy dealer from whom I've bought a couple of Silverados (latest a 2014). They've treated me well, they're competent and honest. The dealership owner sits in his office 10' from the showroom, and knows many of his customers on a first-name basis. Most of the staff has been there forever. Pick a sales guy at random and chances are he'll have been employed there over 20 years.

However, they probably don't sell more than 3-4 Corvettes/year. I don't think you can maintain competence in the service department at that low a rate, no matter how dedicated and well-intentioned everyone is. It's sort of like expecting airline pilots to remain competent with only 150 hours a year flying time.

It's indicative of their Corvette sales when you see that they've had a Z07 sitting there, unsold, for over a month even though they're not pulling nonsense like marking it up over list.

So I guess my question is this: What is the general feeling about sticking with a low-volume dealer? There are probably lots of members here who are faced with a similar situation who don't have Kerbeck in their back yard. (Kerbeck is 120 miles from here). Do you think the risk is manageable? Or are you one fault away from finding yourself caught up in something like swaite's "Dealer screwed up my car" situation?
Well I checked out most of the dealers in the Seattle area ( for my 2014 ) and they all wanted 5k-10k extra over MSRP !!! I bought my car in KC from a big dealer Hendrick Chevrolet MSRP only !!! My service on the car has been through a small dealer no problems !!! Everyone so far in our Corvette club that dealt with small dealers have had delivery delay problems and one couple still hasn't got their car yet and that went to the next year !!! Wayne
Old 08-07-2015, 06:26 AM
Lawnmower7200
Advanced

Welp, I was a bit off in my prediction in post # 57. It took less than a week.

White/red 1LT, fancy wheels, NPP, A8. Looks & drives good.

Got an outstanding deal on the '03 Boxster from my usual dealer. Much better than I would have gotten on a new Cayman. And credit union promotion too. Signing up for the credit union was the most time-consuming part of the whole process.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:10 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I trust my small local dealer but he had no allocations when I wanted to order. I had to order from a distant mega dealer. But my small local dealer is has become my servicing dealer.

Quick Reply: Buying from a small dealer