Sponsored by:

OnStar Locate Vehicle Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:42 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Default OnStar Locate Vehicle Not Working

My dealer activated OnStar in my 2016 Stingray today so I could track it's progress across the country. I created my account and downloaded the iPhone app. When I try to geolocate the car I get this message, "Locate Vehicle Failed."

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm thinking it might be due to my account being new? I heard there was a 24-48 hour account setup delay but I'm not sure if this is accurate.

And before anyone asks, no I can't press the blue button.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:49 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Did you purchase the "Family Link" for an additional $3.99/mo? AFAIK that's what you need to track. And don't tell them you want to track the car, apparently they freak out about that.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:52 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RicK T
Did you purchase the "Family Link" for an additional $3.99/mo? AFAIK that's what you need to track. And don't tell them you want to track the car, apparently they freak out about that.
No I'm just in the free trial. Isn't everything included for the first three months?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by docprego
No I'm just in the free trial. Isn't everything included for the first three months?
No, the Family Link is an extra cost service.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:13 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

No, the Family Link is an extra cost service.
Having explored the site, I see that now. Can I call and add it on for a month for $3.99 and then cancel or is it a commitment for a certain amount of time?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Having explored the site, I see that now. Can I call and add it on for a month for $3.99 and then cancel or is it a commitment for a certain amount of time?
I have no idea. I got the impression from discussions last year that it might be a 1-year commitment, but as I said, I don't really know.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Nope...

That is not required to locate your car. I am on the free service trial and have signed up for nothing...

Yet I can locate my car sitting in the garage 200 miles from me right now... I've used it quite a few times already.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:40 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
Nope...

That is not required to locate your car. I am on the free service trial and have signed up for nothing...

Yet I can locate my car sitting in the garage 200 miles from me right now... I've used it quite a few times already.
Well, news to me. Care to elaborate on how to do it?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:43 PM
mendeldl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

me too. Free trial, can track my car just fine. Never even gave On Star a way to charge me.

How is your car being transported?.It may be that, if by rail, it's inside the container and can't get GPS and or LTE to track and communicate from. It's also possible your battery is dead for some crazy reason.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

From us that were stuck in Spring Mountain, TN for weeks. The car's OnStar "goes to sleep" after approximately 48 hours. It won't "wake up" again until the car is started. Once it's started you will be able to track it. You don't have to pay extra for the Family service. I got the same message on mine until they started it to put it on the carrier.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:33 PM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

My dealer activated OnStar in my 2016 Stingray today so I could track it's progress across the country.
Did you have to ask your dealer to do this or does it happen automatically?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Thank you all for your assistance. Funny thing; I was on the phone with OnStar attempting to add the Family Link feature. Just when the representative answered, my call was dropped. I then luckily checked this thread and saw a few of you saying it was unnecessary. So I got lucky and did not add it on. Hopefully when it starts moving I'll be able to track it.

Once last question: where do you track it from on the OnStar website?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Even though the dealer activated OnStar, you may still have to call them to complete the setup. When I bought mine, Criswell had already activated it, but the salesman said I should "push the OnStar button" within the 1st 24 hours to complete the activation. Obviously you can't do that, but they should be able to finish the setup over the phone.

I haven't tried tracking through the web site, but you can do it through their Android (and I assume iPhone) app.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Thank you all for your assistance. Funny thing; I was on the phone with OnStar attempting to add the Family Link feature. Just when the representative answered, my call was dropped. I then luckily checked this thread and saw a few of you saying it was unnecessary. So I got lucky and did not add it on. Hopefully when it starts moving I'll be able to track it.

Once last question: where do you track it from on the OnStar website?
I believe you have to have that to track it from their website. I tracked mine from the OnStar app on my phone.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:44 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Even though the dealer activated OnStar, you may still have to call them to complete the setup. When I bought mine, Criswell had already activated it, but the salesman said I should "push the OnStar button" within the 1st 24 hours to complete the activation. Obviously you can't do that, but they should be able to finish the setup over the phone.

I haven't tried tracking through the web site, but you can do it through their Android (and I assume iPhone) app.
Yes. I believe I had to set up my "account" online with OnStar as you have to set a user name and password to use on the "app".
Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Yeah I'm still getting a "Locate Vehicle failed" message when I try to locate it in the app. Either OnStar is asleep or my account isn't fully setup yet. Who knows, I'll just try again tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Oh, and here's a pic of mine the day it showed up at my dealer.

Last edited by R23HTC; 06-30-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar Locate Vehicle Not Working

Old 06-30-2015, 08:51 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Yeah I'm still getting a "Locate Vehicle failed" message when I try to locate it in the app. Either OnStar is asleep or my account isn't fully setup yet. Who knows, I'll just try again tomorrow.
If you're getting Locate Vehicle failed, you're set up, the car is just "asleep". You wouldn't get that if you're account wasn't set up I don't believe.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:55 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R15LT1
If you're getting Locate Vehicle failed, you're set up, the car is just "asleep". You wouldn't get that if you're account wasn't set up I don't believe.
Sounds right to me. So the first time it will be located will be the day it's loaded on the train to head West. i have to assume the car will be powered up for that.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Sounds right to me. So the first time it will be located will be the day it's loaded on the train to head West. i have to assume the car will be powered up for that.
I would assume so. Mine was loaded on a car carrier, not delivered by train.

Quick Reply: OnStar Locate Vehicle Not Working