Sponsored by:

Crazy Cowboy - Sound Deadener Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:25 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Crazy Cowboy - Sound Deadener Review

I originally posted this in Tech but figured more here would be interested.

Do it

For $285 there is probably no better mod you can do to make the car more enjoyable.

First all suspension noise is gone. There is not much to begin with but basically all the sound from behind the seat is gone except the exhaust. Zero tire noise or any other noise from the rear end.

I also find the car way easier to drive fast. Before the NPP was so loud once it hit about 4000rpm it was all just noise and its hard to shift based on exhaust sound. The kit removes all that extra noise, it is a clear pitch increase as you go.

I would hit the limiter when it was stock in 1st because it was tough to hear the exhaust pitch change.

Now its almost like slow motion, the sound is so much cleaner its easier to hear what is going on.

All the tire noise is gone from the back. There were some little things noise wise that keep the car really being world class in the rear and the kit fixes those.

Above comments are all with the top off, with the top up below.

Took the car down to the water today to see a sand sculpting expo. Drove it on the freeway and local roads with the roof on for about 3 hours.

The improvement with the roof on and windows closed is dramatic. There is a section of I75 that used to drive you out of the car it was so loud. It is much quieter, not luxury car quiet but on roads where noise was moderate there is none. Where there as a lot of tire noise the edge is gone off the noise and very easy to live with.

Also sometimes at WOT with the windows up and roof on the sound pressure in the cabin got pretty high, now its level and not so overpowering in side the car.

For the cost of the Extreme kit really this is something everyone who spends in their car should do, its that much of an improvement.

I'd like to see a door/front end kit too.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (03-23-2016)
Old 07-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

Sweet review. This is one thing I'll be doing once i get mine. Are you pretty schooled on working on cars? How long did it take you?

Let's say I haven't done anything except remove a few door panels for a speaker upgrade on my old Jeep Commander. How long would it take.

I look forward to the project.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

Who is this Crazy Cowboy?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:29 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

That is his screen name.

Exotic Vette's, makes partitions and sound kits for Corvettes.

http://www.exoticvette.com/insulation%20c7.htm

I had the shop that did my SC install the kit when they did the SC but from what I can see its not too difficult of a job.

I'd have no problem taking the car apart, and putting it back together. However my patience level in dealing with large sheets of very sticky stuff would result in me setting fire to the car before the day was over.

Average cost at a shop that does stuff like this should be about $600 to install.

I also had the price wrong its $315 for the Extreme Kit.
Crazy Cowboy (08-11-2018)
Old 07-05-2015, 07:17 PM
ParishM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

how does this differ from Dynamat, Fatmat, Murdermat, and other similar materials ?
Old 07-05-2015, 07:21 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ParishM
how does this differ from Dynamat, Fatmat, Murdermat, and other similar materials ?
Not sure.

The biggest thing is your paying for him to pre-cut it with directions on where to place it and how to install.

It is also 2 layers if you get the extreme kit.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:31 PM
longboy4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
Not sure.

The biggest thing is your paying for him to pre-cut it with directions on where to place it and how to install.

It is also 2 layers if you get the extreme kit.
Ya....the more layers, the better sound absorption. With the upcoming "EXTREME II" Package installed.....you will feel like you are riding around in a casket!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Interesting product

Originally Posted by NoOne
I originally posted this in Tech but figured more here would be interested.

Do it

For $285 there is probably no better mod you can do to make the car more enjoyable.

First all suspension noise is gone. There is not much to begin with but basically all the sound from behind the seat is gone except the exhaust. Zero tire noise or any other noise from the rear end.

I also find the car way easier to drive fast. Before the NPP was so loud once it hit about 4000rpm it was all just noise and its hard to shift based on exhaust sound. The kit removes all that extra noise, it is a clear pitch increase as you go.

I would hit the limiter when it was stock in 1st because it was tough to hear the exhaust pitch change.

Now its almost like slow motion, the sound is so much cleaner its easier to hear what is going on.

All the tire noise is gone from the back. There were some little things noise wise that keep the car really being world class in the rear and the kit fixes those.

Above comments are all with the top off, with the top up below.

Took the car down to the water today to see a sand sculpting expo. Drove it on the freeway and local roads with the roof on for about 3 hours.

The improvement with the roof on and windows closed is dramatic. There is a section of I75 that used to drive you out of the car it was so loud. It is much quieter, not luxury car quiet but on roads where noise was moderate there is none. Where there as a lot of tire noise the edge is gone off the noise and very easy to live with.

Also sometimes at WOT with the windows up and roof on the sound pressure in the cabin got pretty high, now its level and not so overpowering in side the car.

For the cost of the Extreme kit really this is something everyone who spends in their car should do, its that much of an improvement.

I'd like to see a door/front end kit too.
This looks really nice to me. My car is a daily driver and I did not consider it too noisy but if it could be quieter during a phone call I would like that. Any cosmetic faults like puffiness once installed?will this fit a Z06?
Old 03-23-2016, 12:07 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't find my car loud or hot at all.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Edwardz
This looks really nice to me. My car is a daily driver and I did not consider it too noisy but if it could be quieter during a phone call I would like that. Any cosmetic faults like puffiness once installed?will this fit a Z06?
I had it installed in my Z06 last Spring----fits fine----highly recommend the product (in fact, I did so with a thread response back then). I bet it took the installer about 6 hours----he is an excellent body shop guy---son of the owner, and does great work. The pre-cut pieces were not perfect fits---installer said he had to cut every piece to fit, but he flat out said it was no big deal as the pieces were all pretty close.

Results were superb. Now we can hear the radio and have a conversation without any problems going any speed on any road. Now we can enjoy the car---before the install it was too noisy for us to talk or listen to the radio (unless it was blaring) when going over 20-30 mph-----I really was beginning to have 2nd thoughts about the car as it just wasn't enjoyable to drive with all the noise. Mine is a coupe-----the convertibles are much quieter in the cabin-------my 2013 427 (really a Z06) was a convertible and the cabin noise was fine.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:22 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

If you DIY be careful because there are a lot of trim pieces you have to take off and the plastic fasteners break off easily. I did something similar to my C6 but that was a much nosier car. I do hear tire noise but overall I think the C7 is pretty quiet.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:10 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp
If you DIY be careful because there are a lot of trim pieces you have to take off and the plastic fasteners break off easily. I did something similar to my C6 but that was a much nosier car. I do hear tire noise but overall I think the C7 is pretty quiet.

The sound deadening does help a lot IMO.

Last edited by gpotski; 03-23-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:58 PM
CLLOFF
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

For what its worth, I put crazy cowboy's kits in my C5 and 2 C6's. I like the product. The precut pieces make it pretty easy for a DIY. Took half of one day to the the front and another to do the rear. Some one the trim pieces take some work. The front was more difficult and time consuming with the smaller trim pieces and the seats. On my last C6 Grand Sport, I only did the rear.

I find the C7 to be quieter but probably will add to the C7 this summer.
Did a very nice job cutting down on the road/tire noise in the cabin. Left it much nicer for me to hear the radio or the headers/exhaust.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:37 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,137 Likes on 2,240 Posts

For whatever reason I like remodeling my homes over the years including completely gutting them but I have zero desire to take my cars apart, especially my brand new 2016 C7!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Edwardz
I just play the radio all the time and don't make phone calls. In fact have my cell phone turned off when I drive! It's more important to pay attention to the road and the other folks who have one hand on their phone (allowed in SC) or worse the ones texting ($25 fine in SC, big deal!)
Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Is the drop in deadner product just as good, no removing anything, there is a mat for the hatch area and two precut pieces for behind the seats?

Get notified of new replies

To Crazy Cowboy - Sound Deadener Review

Quick Reply: Crazy Cowboy - Sound Deadener Review