Sponsored by:

Pull Down Latch Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Default Pull Down Latch Retrofit

Ok, there have been quite a few threads about the desire to retrofit the 2016 pull down latch on to the '14 & '15 year coupes. Being the curious guy I am, I contacted Gene @ CultRag and he said that he could now order the 2016 parts.

I hope Gene does not mind me posting this information:

The latch is $175.50. It appears as if there is a control module controlling the operation of the latch and that is $215.26. We would have to find if a connector is available. The problem you're going to run into is the body control module probably tells the module what to do which tells the latch what to do and you may or may not be able to program the BCM to do this. Parts are available. Would take me 4-5 business days to get. Nothing special on the diagram. Just the latch and module bolted to a bracket. I have no further information.
Normally, I would not at all mind attempting a challenging mod like this but I have some personal stuff going on. So I need some help.

I think that we need to find an electrical schematic for the 2016 and find out how this control module is wired into the car, what systems it connects to. Anyone have a source for the 2016 electrical diagrams? The 2014 or 15 diagrams would be useful too as a comparison.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

That's a lot of money to spend to avoid putting your hand on the hatch to close it.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:50 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
That's a lot of money to spend to avoid putting your hand on the hatch to close it.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

No need if you leave the window cracked or the door opened when closing. I can close mine with windows up and door closed using one swift motion.

Good luck with the retro, OP. Im sure it can be done, just not sure it's worth it.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:23 PM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Mine came with a pull-down handle molded into the plastic hatch liner.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:21 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Some cars have cracked paint by pushing to latch!

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
No need if you leave the window cracked or the door opened when closing. I can close mine with windows up and door closed using one swift motion.

Good luck with the retro, OP. Im sure it can be done, just not sure it's worth it.
Originally Posted by green2000
Mine came with a pull-down handle molded into the plastic hatch liner.
All C7's came with that hand hold to pull the hatch to close. They also included a memory wire activated air vent that was supposed to be large enough to allow the hatch to latch but just pulling down using the hand hold. For some cars it is not sufficiently large.

You're fortunate if your hatch latches by using "a swift motion." Some of us have hatches that will not latch no matter how hard you pull down using the GM hand hold unless a door or windows are open (received my C7 in October 2013.) I have been keeping my door open for 19 months, no big deal but just bought a Window Valet so I can open both windows buy hitting my key FOB "door open" button 3 times! Great for the summer as well.
In addition, folks from 2013 were warned at Museum Delivery NOT to push in the center of the hatch to latch as the paint can crack! They were told to use two hands at the peaks near the hatch window outside edges. One poster recently said not just his paint but the hatch cracked from pushing to latch! In fact when I first tried to push to latch I saw my hatch frame bend - so stopped! For some cars it may work but not for all without consequences.
Just validated when I made a PDF of the Window Valet install, my hatch won't latch no matter how hard I pull down but with the windows open it latches with one finger! Happiness is a light Vette!
GM knows the problem is wide spread so went with what I had on my C6, a pull down latch for 2016. Will be interested to see if it can be retrofited

Last edited by JerryU; 07-05-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mike02Z

I think you should post a video of you closing yours with the doors closed and windows up. Not that I don't believe you......
Old 07-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

I place my hand on the center edge of glass and push down gently, never touch the hatch itself.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:26 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

A Window Valet sounds like a much simpler, and less expensive, "fix" for those who have hard to close hatches.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:12 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
I think you should post a video of you closing yours with the doors closed and windows up. Not that I don't believe you......
I think someone did a video a while back.

I've always but my palm on the edge of the hatch and slammed the hatch down. Slammed sounds harsh but it's not that forceful.

Did it in my 2014 and my 2015 no issues at all. No cracks, no finger prints.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:32 PM
BUCKNERBUCK2
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I've been reading on this forum for months while waiting for my ordered 15. I was shocked at how easy the hatch is to close. I pull it down until clasp is resting on the latch and then push down in the 2 creases. Incredibly easy.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:40 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BUCKNERBUCK2
I've been reading on this forum for months while waiting for my ordered 15. I was shocked at how easy the hatch is to close. I pull it down until clasp is resting on the latch and then push down in the 2 creases. Incredibly easy.
Because some fools will make something out of nothing.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:57 AM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I wasn't aware GM decided to add a pull-down hatch mechanism to the '16's. Interesting. So the hatch on the 16's will close like a Cadillac hatch now, eh? I just leave my door cracked open a bit, then close the hatch. No biggie. I would have rather seen GM add a Blind Spot Monitor.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 AM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I hope I never get that old that I can't close the rear hatch...
Old 07-06-2015, 05:40 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

The hatch closes just fine on my 2015.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:35 AM
lsp408
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know I have to slam hatch to close if both door were closed.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:22 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by pjitty
I hope I never get that old that I can't close the rear hatch...
Don't want to rehash some previous responses to that type response with a pic of my weight machine and treadmill but I have been lifting for ~30 years, 7 days/week! Do 3 sets of 10 tricep push downs with 70 pounds and another 3 sets of 10 with a rope grip as part of my arms/chest day routine. On back day do 3 sets of 10 chin-ups, etc. Not bad for a 72 year old! Some folks who's hatch latches fine, seem not to understand some don't!

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
From when I got my C7 in October 2013 some folks would say I just didn't know how to close the hatch, "watch this video" etc because theirs worked. After trying many things gave up arguing! Just keep my door open. The cars are different.

Originally Posted by meyerweb
A Window Valet sounds like a much simpler, and less expensive, "fix" for those who have hard to close hatches.
It is and in the hot summer, nice to open the windows before you get in! They are sold for many cars, mostly for that purpose. Recently designed to fit the C7 Vette. No alterations to the car.

Originally Posted by Rave
I wasn't aware GM decided to add a pull-down hatch mechanism to the '16's. Interesting. So the hatch on the 16's will close like a Cadillac hatch now, eh? I just leave my door cracked open a bit, then close the hatch. No biggie. I would have rather seen GM add a Blind Spot Monitor.
Yep! GM finally admitted there are enough of us where the memory wire activated vent wasn't large enough and they paid for enough paint cracks etc to go back to what did work, a motorized hatch latch. That is what I had on my C6!
Since I got my C7 in October 2013 I have tried many things: 1) checked my vent, it opens as designed just not big enough, 2) readjusted the hatch stops to a point of misalignment in both directions-no help, 3) tried pulling down from GM handhold from high/low, with lots and little force. In fact just validated when I made the PDF of the Window Valet install, unless a door or the windows are open, no matter how much (or little) force I use it will not latch. 4) lossened the latch bolts and closed it several times to try to realign-per a post about what a dealer should check- no help, 5) even if I press, as suggested by GM, with two hands on the window edge I takes a great deal of force and the hatch frame can be seen to flex-so I don't!
It amazes me that with the door open I can stand just behind it and with a slight push down on one side of a fully opened hatch, it latches every time. Proved to me over a year ago the vent is just not big enough for some cars. Happiness is a tight Vette!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-06-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pull Down Latch Retrofit

Old 07-06-2015, 09:29 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

I too am following this and other threads on the retrofit of the motorized latch. While I can close mine with enough force, it is sufficient that I worries me about cracking body and paint work. Would rather have the motorized latch that just works.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:12 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

More 1st world problems.........The 2015 is manual close....2016 adds the auto latch.

Bring the hatch down slowly to a nearly closed position. Now just push down on it near the edge of the window to close.

There is NO need to slam it down!

Old 07-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Anyone have a source for the 2016 electrical diagrams? The 2014 or 15 diagrams would be useful too as a comparison.

I did not intend to start yet another debate thread. Does anyone have these electrical diagrams? Come on, there has to be other tinkerers out there!

Quick Reply: Pull Down Latch Retrofit