Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Mine looks horrible.

And no, my elbow isn't that big!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:04 AM
alphavette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLS2K
The attached photo shows the result of my wife resting her arm on *gasp* the center console/armrest during a single road trip. Pretty sad that the foam is defeated so easily. I'll be requesting a new lid from my dealer.

Note that the photo was taken today, 4 days after the trip, so the foam is not going to spring back.

EDIT: 7/10/15

Well, I have a VERY interesting update for you all.

As a reminder, my center console top showed multiple dimples after one trip. They were caused by my wife resting her elbow there as she read. As of this morning, one week later, the dimples were unchanged.

This afternoon I met a friend for lunch. Long story short as the car sat in the boiling FL sun for 1.5hrs the dimples vanished. I mean 100% GONE! This after being unchanged for a week. My car rarely sits in the sun so I guess all it took was a super-heated cabin.

So, a previous poster who used an iron to take out his dimple was spot-on. I still don't think this should happen, but it seems some time outdoors, or artificial hear, can cure the issue.

2015 c7 with less than 1500 miles and I indented my driver door armrest within the first few days of owning it. It left me slightly annoyed...
Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Anyone else notice that this seems to be on red interiors only? Anyone notice it on another color?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:31 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

My 2LT/Kalahari has the same thing after my son rested his arm/elbow on the armrest during our recent trip to Road America. I noticed it on the way there so for the return trip he did the forearm thing to minimize any more 'dents'. After a couple of weeks of hot weather it is back pretty close to the original shape but not sure how many times this will continue to rebound until it finally locks into the depressed positions. I tried kind of massaging it and it almost feels like the outer 'skin' moves independently of the padding itself. I replaced my '13 CTS coupe with a '15 ATS coupe last week and both of them have harder armrests that do not allow the dimples to form. Chevy could learn from Caddy on this...
Old 08-25-2015, 09:35 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trivette
My 2LT/Kalahari has the same thing after my son rested his arm/elbow on the armrest during our recent trip to Road America. I noticed it on the way there so for the return trip he did the forearm thing to minimize any more 'dents'. After a couple of weeks of hot weather it is back pretty close to the original shape but not sure how many times this will continue to rebound until it finally locks into the depressed positions. I tried kind of massaging it and it almost feels like the outer 'skin' moves independently of the padding itself. I replaced my '13 CTS coupe with a '15 ATS coupe last week and both of them have harder armrests that do not allow the dimples to form. Chevy could learn from Caddy on this...
Well at least now we know its not exclusive to red.

I noticed my leather doesn't seem to be glued to the foam either. Wonder if that's the root of the problem.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:44 AM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

Received 1,138 Likes on 466 Posts

Default Beware: pointy elbows

Same thing here with the glue. 2015 with 5k miles and it looks like the glue is releasing and allowing part of the "leather" to move around, while the edges are still glued.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:46 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by srobert910
Same thing here with the glue. 2015 with 5k miles and it looks like the glue is releasing and allowing part of the "leather" to move around, while the edges are still glued.
I'm just under 8k on mine. Sounds like a supplier issue if some aren't having this problem
Old 08-25-2015, 11:57 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by R15LT1
Well at least now we know its not exclusive to red.

I noticed my leather doesn't seem to be glued to the foam either. Wonder if that's the root of the problem.
My 2LT black interior has the same issues. I have already had the console lid replaced once, and its doing it again. Parts were ordered to replace the door panel on the drivers side for the same issue (Yes they have to replace the entire door panel to fix it an they said its something like an $800 part!)

I'm NOT happy with the fact that the issue keeps coming back. That means they are replacing with the same old part and no changes have been made to rectify the issue. GM needs to get on top of this one as its aesthetically an eye sore.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:47 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree-once the owners of Z06's with the $100,000+ price tag have the same experience and start complaining GM will really have some serious explaining to do. (I believe they would be using the same pieces as the standard models) For standard cars it's bad enough but for a six-figure price tag vehicle this is definitely not acceptable. Replacing the part with one that is essentially the same does not solve the problem.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Drh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Beware: pointy elbows

Same thing happen to me recently - indentations on the center arm console. And mine got "resolved" the same as the OP- my car sat outside for a couple hours on a hot day and when I got back in the car , indentations were gone. At least I know how to fix it should it happen again.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

2014 with 20K no issues with mine, Brownstone with the micro fiber cover on all arm rests & console.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:30 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill B 1
2014 with 20K no issues with mine, Brownstone with the micro fiber cover on all arm rests & console.
I reread this thread, and it appears to affect only leather, none of us who have specifically mentioned the microsuede seem to have the problem. It may just be that some who have the issue just didn't mention having the suede when posting.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:54 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I reread this thread, and it appears to affect only leather, none of us who have specifically mentioned the microsuede seem to have the problem. It may just be that some who have the issue just didn't mention having the suede when posting.
I've been careful about leaning on my sueded cover. I'm thinking that because of the matte finish it is harder to see indentions vs the shinny covers.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

So which concerns you more, the small indentations, or your wife's elbows?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Initially, when I first read this thread, I discounted its significance because, up until then, I hadn't experienced dents in either the door or center console armrest of my 2015 Kalahari 3LT Stingray. I figured those unfortunates who had this problem must have received exceptionally defective parts. However, today -- still with less than 1300 miles on my car -- I made a quick five-mile trip to the grocery store in the Vette and when I got there, guess what!!! I had an elbow dent in center console armrest!!! I was sure it would be gone when I got back to the car, but no, it was still there! And so it remains...even after leaving the car parked out in the hot Arizona sun for a couple hours. I must say, it looks terrible and with less than 1300 miles, there's just no way this can be dismissed as "normal wear and tear." IMO it's ridiculous that an armrest should be so susceptible to damage because -- heaven forbid!!! -- it gets used as an armrest!!!
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Dealer replaced mine under warranty, but the new ones leather feels "loose". We'll see how long this one holds up.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jrainlay
Initially, when I first read this thread, I discounted its significance because, up until then, I hadn't experienced dents in either the door or center console armrest of my 2015 Kalahari 3LT Stingray. I figured those unfortunates who had this problem must have received exceptionally defective parts. However, today -- still with less than 1300 miles on my car -- I made a quick five-mile trip to the grocery store in the Vette and when I got there, guess what!!! I had an elbow dent in center console armrest!!! I was sure it would be gone when I got back to the car, but no, it was still there! And so it remains...even after leaving the car parked out in the hot Arizona sun for a couple hours. I must say, it looks terrible and with less than 1300 miles, there's just no way this can be dismissed as "normal wear and tear." IMO it's ridiculous that an armrest should be so susceptible to damage because -- heaven forbid!!! -- it gets used as an armrest!!!

Originally Posted by R15LT1
Dealer replaced mine under warranty, but the new ones leather feels "loose". We'll see how long this one holds up.
This is why I would be very hesitant to get this replaced. Also the new one will be equally susceptible to this deformation again. This isn't a defective part, it's a flawed choice of foam under the leather.

My center console had a very small impression caused by my elbow resting there just a few times. My driver's side door arm rest had several impressions and this was at delivery, must have been caused by careless workers along the delivery chain. I took delivery knowing it was there, I was thinking that I didn't want to bring down my delivery experience and it would be under warranty if necessary.

Well about a week ago I read in this thread that heat could resolve this issue. The OP simply left his car out in the sun. Coincidentally the next day I parked in one spot the entire day and it was a particularly hot day. To my utter amazement ALL of the impressions disappeared on both the center console lid and door arm rest and have not come back. Now I'm super careful to avoid resting my elbows on them. I'm currently looking for an acceptable solution to protect these going forward.

Last edited by docprego; 09-01-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Beware: Pointy elbows

Old 09-01-2015, 10:01 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Well I don't have to worry about the door as I typically rest my arm up by the window. Haven't noticed any dents there. As for the arm rest, well that's what it's for and if it can't be used for that without deforming, then they can keep replacing it! Once it's out of warranty, if it's still an issue, I hope there's a better "fix" by then.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by owc6
Do all 3LZ interior options have a suede center console? It seems as though the 3LZ Jet Black interior with Comp seats and suede inserts I'm planning has a leather center armrest.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:16 AM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jrainlay
Welcome to the club. I've had a couple more incidences, since resolved. The sun is your friend...or, I'd bet, a few minutes with a hairdryer.

Quick Reply: Beware: Pointy elbows