Old 09-03-2015, 11:48 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by docprego
"I'm with Stupid?". LOL I don't think you meant it to come across that way. Probably better off with
Nah I meant im with stupid lol. Its just a more colorful way of saying I agree on here. Don't worry, im not calling you stupid. Rather the opposite of that since we agree on all the same points
Old 09-04-2015, 12:32 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Nah I meant im with stupid lol. Its just a more colorful way of saying I agree on here. Don't worry, im not calling you stupid. Rather the opposite of that since we agree on all the same points
No offense taken, I was laughing with you.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Steve2150
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After looking over my 15 it seems the foam on the armrest and console lid is very thin. By pressing my finger against both it seems the problem might not be the foam itself but the foundation supporting the foam. It feels like the foundation gives, not supplying a firm and stable base is why we get the depressions. The foundation itself when pressing against the foam feels like a cardboard type feel. Wondering if the base is the one giving and the foam just following it.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:40 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Can't believe this thread still has a life.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:59 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler
Can't believe this thread still has a life.
Thanks to you... and now me
Old 09-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Ldavila64
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 39 Posts

Less than 500 miles on mine and Dealer ordered a whole new drivers side panel due to two indentations not from elbows on arm rest. They took one look and said we'll get a new one on order. that same day after sitting in the FL sun for a few hours the indentations were gone. seams like the sun affected the padding some how. I put the replacement on hold and a week later another indentation on the arm rest at a different location. Calling them in the morning to schedule the replacement. Something is going on with the foam padding but not a problem as long as they replace it and it looks like it should.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Ldavila64
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ldavila64
Less than 500 miles on mine and Dealer ordered a whole new drivers side panel due to two indentations not from elbows on arm rest. They took one look and said we'll get a new one on order. that same day after sitting in the FL sun for a few hours the indentations were gone. seams like the sun affected the padding some how. I put the replacement on hold and a week later another indentation on the arm rest at a different location. Calling them in the morning to schedule the replacement. Something is going on with the foam padding but not a problem as long as they replace it and it looks like it should.
Took ghost to local dealer (Estero Bay Chevrolet) SW FL. To have them replace the drivers side door panel and get my 500 mile oil change. All went perfect. New door pad treated with Zuric and oil change complete. I've been doing business with this dealership for a few years now and they are top notch! Highly recommended.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Bill Quinlan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 C7 console deformity

Encountered the same problem. Multiple dimples where elbow rests on console. No improvement over time. Requested replacement under warranty and dealer agreed the console was defective and ordered a replacement. Question is whether the foam was from a defective batch or if this is a problem across the board that is likely to recur with the replacement.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

My foam will depress when my very pointy elbow rests on it, but the dent will, within seconds come back up to nothing. I have checked by pulling my elbow up, and resting my hand on the "hole", and I can feel it filling in till there is nothing.

This makes me wonder if there is a bad batch, or three, of foam that won't do this.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:48 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill Quinlan
Encountered the same problem. Multiple dimples where elbow rests on console. No improvement over time. Requested replacement under warranty and dealer agreed the console was defective and ordered a replacement. Question is whether the foam was from a defective batch or if this is a problem across the board that is likely to recur with the replacement.
Originally Posted by owc6
My foam will depress when my very pointy elbow rests on it, but the dent will, within seconds come back up to nothing. I have checked by pulling my elbow up, and resting my hand on the "hole", and I can feel it filling in till there is nothing.

This makes me wonder if there is a bad batch, or three, of foam that won't do this.
My lid was replaced 35,000 miles after the vehicles production for this issue. I have 37,000 miles now. It's doing it again. So, impossible to be a batch issue. The issue is they chose the wrong foam material. Period.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:58 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

My 'first day of production' '14 has the problem and several weeks after my recent trip to Road America it has finally smoothed out. We have had hot weather here lately which probably helped-not sure how much it will regain it's shape if the indents occur in the Fall and the temps don't hit 80's in the garage. How many times will the material continue to rebound? It's definitely a problem and when these cars start showing up on the used market in significant numbers with 'dented' armrests it will be something potential buyers will notice and factor in to their offers.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:58 PM
1stTimeforEverything
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

My seats have butt bone dents in them. Swine butt bones.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:17 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

The arm rest on my door and center console both get dimples in them from my elbows.

When I first read this thread and some of the comments I panicked and thought I needed a warranty replacement.

Then I decided to keep my elbows off them for a day or two.

One sunny afternoon in the 90+ Texas heat and all the dimples were gone.

Now I just make sure not to put my elbows in the same place for extended periods of time.

If I do I just give it time as they will come out.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:59 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
The arm rest on my door and center console both get dimples in them from my elbows.

When I first read this thread and some of the comments I panicked and thought I needed a warranty replacement.

Then I decided to keep my elbows off them for a day or two.

One sunny afternoon in the 90+ Texas heat and all the dimples were gone.

Now I just make sure not to put my elbows in the same place for extended periods of time.

If I do I just give it time as they will come out.
First time this happened to me I was pissed off, got a small dent in the center console. Read this thread and left it in the sun, it was gone 8 hours later. Notably some that were in my driver's armrest at delivery also disappeared. 2 days ago I broke my rule and rested my elbow on the center console again, this resulted in a larger dent than last time. Again I was pissed off but hoping the sun trick would bail me out again.

Thankfully It did. The bottom line is the center console arm rest and door armrests in this car are not adequate for their job description.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:28 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
First time this happened to me I was pissed off, got a small dent in the center console. Read this thread and left it in the sun, it was gone 8 hours later. Notably some that were in my driver's armrest at delivery also disappeared. 2 days ago I broke my rule and rested my elbow on the center console again, this resulted in a larger dent than last time. Again I was pissed off but hoping the sun trick would bail me out again.

Thankfully It did. The bottom line is the center console arm rest and door armrests in this car are not adequate for their job description.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:20 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I think you are off base here a bit. The "armrest" in all cars is intended to be used to rest your arm on it. Regardless of how you rest your arm it should be able to withstand being used for its intended purpose. If the armrest cannot handle a wide variety of arms and styles or people resting their arms then there is an design flaw. I have owned a lot of cars and all of them were not as easily beaten by a "pointy elbow". Having to augment your armrest -THAT WAS DESIGN TO REST YOUR ARM ON- with a furniture cup is not only ridiculous, its plain out insulting for a car with this price tag. That's like saying if your paint is flaking off the car just put a few stickers over that spot so you do see it. Totally inexcusable.
So are you saying carpet has a design flaw when the legs of furniture leave a dimple in it?
Old 09-26-2015, 04:31 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Vette_Manuel
This always happens when you use softer more supple materials. I suppose GM could solve this and replace them with C6 hard *** plastic lids... No more bitching then.

Get notified of new replies

To Beware: Pointy elbows

Old 09-26-2015, 09:01 AM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=J_Vette_Manuel;1590408940 I suppose GM could solve this and replace them with C6 hard *** plastic lids... No more bitching then.[/QUOTE]

No... the choice is not between the overly soft "memory" foam currently being used or "hard *** plastic lids." That's a false dichotomy...

Chevy simply made a bad choice when they selected the foam for this center console lid/armrest. As evidenced by every BMW I've owned in the past 30 years -- all of which had comfortable center armrests and none of which suffered from this problem -- there are plenty of other foams available that could have been used instead of the current material.

It's a legitimate complaint as the armrest dimples are highly visible, very unsightly and detract from an otherwise beautiful 3LT interior. This problem shouldn't occur in a modern automobile at any price, much less one that costs over $70K.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2015, 11:37 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

C5 did it, 05 trailblazer did it...(plastic support arches internal to the console broke, so it's dished out the entire length)
Grand Prix, Saturn... Now that I think about it, all my vehicles have eventually gotten elbow divots...
Old 05-26-2016, 03:28 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

I noticed the center cosole has a dimple.. 40 miles on the odo lol

Quick Reply: Beware: Pointy elbows