Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4,000 miles and a loud tick

Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by srobert910
So I just got an update from the dealer. They got word from GM to remove the motor, tear it down and find the cause of the damage. They will then do a cost comparison to determine whether to rebuild or replace the motor.
In the meantime...
This is not good customer service from my perspective. I don't care what caused the issue, I just want my car in perfect working condition. They should be expediting a new crate motor and let the local tech replace it so I'm a happy customer. They can then let anyone they want to inspect the motor, so I'm not waiting around for GM to figure this out.

Ok people, what's my next step? I've spoken to someone at GM customer care and have a claim number (spoke with them before this update from my local dealership). Who has been through this that can give me some advice?

Thanks everyone for dealing with my venting on this forum, I do appreciate it.
Next step is call your local BBB office and start a buyback claim. once you start the process you will get a call from GM within a week. tell them new car or nothing. Dont stand down you have plenty of ammo here on blown motors.
In the meantime,..Call the service manager at the Dealer and tell them not to reinstall the engine if GM refuses to replace it because you are going to have your lawyer come to the dealership and take photos for a pending breech of merchantability litigation claim. Can you tell I have done this before? Also tell them your Lawyer is requesting the engine oil and filter and you will drop off a clean bucket for its storage.

Last edited by Black&White; 07-16-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Black&White
Next step is call your local BBB office and start a buyback claim. once you start the process you will get a call from GM within a week. tell them new car or nothing. Dont stand down you have plenty of ammo here on blown motors.
In the meantime,..Call the service manager at the Dealer and tell them not to reinstall the engine if GM refuses to replace it because you are going to have your lawyer come to the dealership and take photos for a pending breech of merchantability litigation claim. Can you tell I have done this before? Also tell them your Lawyer is requesting the engine oil and filter and you will drop off a clean bucket for its storage.
Once you start any process (legal/whatever) be prepared to not operate your car anytime soon. You really are at the mercy of GM and their affiliates. You are better off getting them to feel bad that this happened, then you will discover people will go the extra mile to get your car returned to service. Works for me!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Once you start any process (legal/whatever) be prepared to not operate your car anytime soon. You really are at the mercy of GM and their affiliates. You are better off getting them to feel bad that this happened, then you will discover people will go the extra mile to get your car returned to service. Works for me!
unfortunately its the only way to get GMs attention. who wants to drive a bad car anyway. It will never be the same once the Dealer is done with it.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:37 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Most lemon laws only apply if your car is in the garage for 30 days or more than 3 times for the same repair within the first year. Having an engine go bad is not a reason for a buyback.

It'll probably take them about 2 weeks to get it replaced. They won't fedex anything, just normal supply.

Don't mention lawyer/legal unless you are ready for them to clam up and your car sit broken in their dealership.

Fortunately it doesn't seem like a common issue like say the C6 Z06/427.

If you have a dry sump motor then make sure they replace the whole oil system also, not just the engine, otherwise you will be here within a few months stating they are replacing your engine again.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:41 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Most lemon laws only apply if your car is in the garage for 30 days or more than 3 times for the same repair within the first year. Having an engine go bad is not a reason for a buyback.

It'll probably take them about 2 weeks to get it replaced. They won't fedex anything, just normal supply.

Don't mention lawyer/legal unless you are ready for them to clam up and your car sit broken in their dealership.

If you have a dry sump motor then make sure they replace the whole oil system also, not just the engine, otherwise you will be here within a few months stating they are replacing your engine again.
Let them clam up and let the car sit. When the 30 day mark hits ding ding ding new car!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,187 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Whichever way you go, hope you get the car fixed and back behind the wheel soon.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:44 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm having a little trouble understanding your post. So you brought your car in with 1700 miles and they told you that 3 cylinders were out, then two weeks later you brought it in for an oil change and they found metal in the filter and said you needed an engine replacement and a new torque tube?

How long did it take them to get the new engine? Did they easily find the damage with the torque tube? How long is the engine swap supposed to take?

Sorry The first time I took it in cuz 3 cylinders went out and then they fixed it and said your engine is find 2 weeks later im driving I here a weird noise in the shifter I drop it back off to another dealer not the same dealer tho and they checked the problem and said it was a bad torque tube/rearEnd and found metal pieces in the oil .. so they recommended replacement or rebuild I went for the replacement because they won't build it the same way as GM would and it will cause more problems
Down the road they found the problem in like 3 to 4 days running diagnostics checkin every part of the engine

Took less than a week to get the engine and less than a week finishing up putting it in it will be done is 5 days only bin like a 10 days so far at the dealer if they already know you need a new engine it will only take 10 days tops

Last edited by Seannyc; 07-17-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:11 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Good luck getting quick resolution. Hopefully something minor.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Warranty coverage - Needed repairs will be performed using new, remanufactured, or refurbished parts. Read customer satisfaction procedure in your car's warranty book. Basically repairs or replacement are at the discression of GM. You do have options as stated in warranty book. Legal is extremely expensive and will delay repairs for months. My advice; let GM fix your engine than if not satisfied go the customer satisfaction route.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:15 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Let them clam up and let the car sit. When the 30 day mark hits ding ding ding new car!
You just wont be driving anything for months because your car would be stuck in a legal process. Having a motor replaced one time is never a reason for a buyback. They may if they want but they dont legally have to.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:23 PM
15Z06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking I'd rather have the new crate motor. Either way the service is going to show up on the car's service history. At least with the new motor, it would take them less time and less chance for other damage.

5 years ago when they rebuilt the top end of my z06 they had all kinds of issues getting in the parts and it took 7 weeks. I got to see my car with engine parts sitting everywhere including the hatch of my car. They also put many nicks and scratches on my car, that they never repaired and pretty much dismissed. I just wanted my car out of there. I gently reminded them of that and let them know that I will go over this entire car for any damage and hold them responsible. Just crossing my fingers at this point that it goes smoothly.

And also, this car was broken in correctly and babied from day one. I do drive it quite a bit but gently.
Take a walk-around video of your car before the work starts!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Black&White
Drifting

You just wont be driving anything for months because your car would be stuck in a legal process. Having a motor replaced one time is never a reason for a buyback. They may if they want but they dont legally have to.
Nope because GM will have to give him a like car to drive until its settled Let them pay for the Enterprise Caddie who cares? Free Car Go on a cross country trip!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Brought my 15' in for a loud tick today. I've noticed it recently while having the stereo down and the windows up. Does it at any rpm and changes with rpm. Mechanic thinks it's coming from cylinder 7 or 8 and had some metal in the oil filter. So now I have a loaner vehicle for who knows how long. Doesn't sound good to me, mechanic says he has an inquiry out with GM for the issue. Anyone else want to chime in to tell me what to expect? I had a similar issue with my 08' z06 and that ended up being a few bad lifters, new cam, and a top end rebuild at the same dealership... 7 weeks later, ran perfect. Even if I don't get any good info from this thread, it's a good place to vent.
Do you have a free rental car?? If not get on the horn and make them have Enterprise drop one on your doorstep TODAY! It should be a Luxury car equal to the value of the Corvette. PM me I will call the Dealer and be your pretend Lawyer and make arrangements for you to pick up the oil and filter? Click on the video below, remember this is the Company you are dealing with!

Last edited by Black&White; 07-17-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Refer to your warranty book, it explanes what is covered and remedies. Don't stress, it will work out relatively painless if you let it. Let the process alone, if the repair doesn't satisfy you, "then"! If the engine is repaired, still under warranty, if it blows up, their nickel.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Black&White
Drifting

I don't want to get attorneys involved at this point. I really want GM to get my car back to me in perfect condition. The thing that bothers me is the process. They want a local service tech to examine the motor and then determine which is the cheaper route to go. In the meantime I am without my vehicle (I do have a rental Tahoe from enterprise).

I look at the situation like this; if you have a laptop with a bad hard drive, under warranty, you want the hard drive replaced or your laptop replaced. There is no need for you to know why exactly the hard drive failed and you shouldn't have to wait for someone to examine the hard drive before you get your product back. Just fix the thing and put the customer back in customer service.

I spoke with another rep at gm customer service yesterday and she understood my point after explaining to her that this is my 3rd corvette in 8 years and that I went through a similar situation with my Z06 (7 week downtime). I also found out that I was scheduled to receive a phone call about my car in 5 days. This part is what shows that I am just another number to GM and they really don't care about having me as a customer. I'm trying to keep my cool about my car because I want it back asap. However, from the way i've been treated so far this looks like it will be the last GM product I purchase.
They only listen when you call the BBB and file a claim.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Very disturbing that these failures are happening in the first place?
Old 07-18-2015, 07:33 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Very disturbing that these failures are happening in the first place?
I think so. But then as I have been reminded many times on this forum - Vettes are amazing bargains and stuff happens.

I think that the C7 is a truly amazing sports car and an incredible value. It has it all - looks, performance, power and sex appeal.

So you accept a little mechanical uncertainty - so what? In the long run you are still driving one of the nicest cars on the planet and you didn't have to sell your house to buy it.

Get notified of new replies

To 4,000 miles and a loud tick

Old 07-19-2015, 03:09 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received a call Friday afternoon, new motor is being shipped and should be at the dealership on Monday. We will see what happens from there.
You should still call the BBB and get an arbitration case started. You still have no idea what could go wrong with a dealer installed motor.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Got an update from the dealer today. Engine is supposed to be arriving today, two days later than I was originally told. I expressed concerns to the corvette tech doing the replacement that I want to make sure no contaminated oil gets into this motor. He says that the wet sump motor is all self contained and everything is replaced with this engine swap. Anyone know anything different about this?

He was mainly concerned about the torque tube alignment, saying that if not aligned correctly it can put pressure on the bearings and cause a failure (which I have read about) so I told him not to rush, I don't want to go through this again.

Is there anything else I should bring up at this point? I'm thinking that the car will need an alignment afterwards and I'm planning on bringing it back for a 500 mile oil change (even though it's a wet sump car).
i think you addressed everything possible. Glad your tech mentioned the tube issue im just wondering if the tube has been the problem all along with this engine issue. one thing I would ask is if the tech thinks the tube should be also replaced as a cautionary purpose.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:49 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

You should still call the BBB and get an arbitration case started. You still have no idea what could go wrong with a dealer installed motor.
And what is the BBB going to do? They are about as useful as a condum with a hole in it.

All they do is send a letter and most companies don't even respond then all they do is note an unanswered concern. Maybe you have had different luck but my experience has not been positive.

Anyone saying GM owes the OP a new car is smoking something. Read the warranty. All GM's responsibility is clearly stated. Dimished value is BS on a car this new. These cars are not an investment. As long as it's fixed right, I think that is all anyone can ask.

As far as people seeing a "lot of these issues" you need to remember that there are ~70k C7's on the road. Some small percentage will have defects. These threads get a lot of attention but keep in mind people don't post when they have a car with 50k miles and no issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4,000 miles and a loud tick