4,000 miles and a loud tick

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:02 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by srobert910
Got an update from the dealer today. Engine is supposed to be arriving today, two days later than I was originally told. I expressed concerns to the corvette tech doing the replacement that I want to make sure no contaminated oil gets into this motor. He says that the wet sump motor is all self contained and everything is replaced with this engine swap. Anyone know anything different about this?

He was mainly concerned about the torque tube alignment, saying that if not aligned correctly it can put pressure on the bearings and cause a failure (which I have read about) so I told him not to rush, I don't want to go through this again.

Is there anything else I should bring up at this point? I'm thinking that the car will need an alignment afterwards and I'm planning on bringing it back for a 500 mile oil change (even though it's a wet sump car).
I want to congratulate you on being proactive while giving the system a chance to respond. For any manufacturer to respond to this type of issue with a new crate motor in less than a week is well above industry norms.

The initial counsel you received by some on here to declare war on GM from day one was without question some of the most egomaniacal and unwarranted posturing I've seen on here. Over the years I've had far more serious problems on such issues with Lexus, Jaguar and Mercedes than with GM's Corvette and Cadillac divisions.

But, no matter what, we always should start off with a mutually beneficial approach to problem resolution. With this new era of modern Corvette and Cadillac vehicles, GM made an upfront commitment to significantly upgrade both build quality and the overall service experience. So far they seem to be making significant progress.

Right now, Corvette serious maintenance frequencies and repair resolutions are vastly superior to Mercedes and Lexus still has a pervasive "us against them" mentality when repair resolutions are not simple and obvious.

By all means we should go into total war mode when warranted, but not from the get go. Professionalism is always best as a two way street. We want GM dealers to be classy operations but they also want owners to be respectful and classy in return. The last thing any of us need is pull into a service bay where the service people automatically say to themselves, "Here comes another one of those a-hole Corvette owners."

One thing most professional arbitrators look for is the chain of events cycle. Which party made a progressive good faith effort from day one and which party continually escalated the confrontational nature of the resulting conflict.

In other words, which party sought fair resolution and which party sought conflict and total victory.

Last edited by B747VET; 07-24-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:34 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

The dry sump system is the monster. If you belly up the engine and get metal in the system of the dry sump, the reservoir, all hoses, everything must be pulled out and replaced. The wet sump has the oil contained in the engine so not much else to clean out.

Elmer
Old 07-24-2015, 05:40 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I am really trying to work with them to get this issue resolved. The dealership has been helpful and seems to be taking great care of my corvette. My issue right now is the lack of communication with GM customer care. I have called three times to speak with my senior service agent John and yet to speak with him. Not a single call back. This has been going on for over a week. I feel like I'm not valued as a customer and this guy is not doing his job at all.

So if there is anyone on the forum from GM customer care, maybe you can let John from the Austin office that he has truly pissed off a 3 time corvette buyer and I will definitely be speaking with his supervisor Rachael about this.
Your two most recent previous posts implied all was progressing well. Now you say you are pissed and have been pissed for a week. I sincerely hope you are communicating with GM more clearly than with you are with us.

The guy in question may be on vacation or sick or just uncaring. Either way, after the third unreturned call and 48 hours, you should have immediately been on the phone to his higher ups and then their higher ups and, or, sitting down with the dealerships owner/general manager saying, "I need your help here."

But, again, they got you a new crate engine in less than 8 days ready to be installed and the dealership seems to be taking a professional approach to watch out for gotchas during the install.

So, what exactly is going on, besides the unreturned calls. What haven't you underscored to us that now has you so completely pissed? With a better understanding of what is really going on, maybe folks on here can be of better assistance.

Last edited by B747VET; 07-24-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:44 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

GM is doing the right thing with this case. It seems like the C7's engine is reliable although it had problems with the oil filters when it first came out. However, because of the problems with the LS7 in the C6 I'm starting to question GM's reliability. The unreliability of the LS7s heads is causing the Z06/427s value to drop. Engine failures happen at times though.

I don't know what else John from Customer Service is supposed to do as long as the car is repaired the right way.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:15 AM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

Received 1,138 Likes on 466 Posts

Default 4,000 miles and a loud tick

The reason why I'm not happy has nothing to do with my local dealership, it's with GM customer care. When you call and speak with an agent, if the problem is serious enough you get a senior agent. Mine is John. I have never been able to talk to john and he has yet to attempt to contact me. I was told that he had an appointment to call me on the 21st regarding my car. He never did. I called again to contact him, had to talk to another agent that says she cannot over step his bounds of what he can do for me. So she calls his voice mail and emails him and his supervisor. I'm told that he has to respond within 24 hours. That was over two days ago without any attempted contact. So today I call again (4th call) and get hung up on. So do you now have any idea why I'm pissed?

As far as the car? I received it back late today. It seems to run well, sounds much better, and somehow shifts smoother. I am smelling a little coolant but I'm not thinking it's anything serious at all. I've only driven it a few miles so I'll have to give a better update to the situation later.

The issue I want to discuss with John is different. First I want to know why the motor was delayed 2 days (not a huge deal, but it was still incorrect information )

Second I want to know what they plan to do about diminished value on my new car. I know everyone on here that hasn't had this situation happen to them says it's no big deal and they aren't collector cars etc. my point is, if you were on the market to buy a corvette, would you pay the same price for one that has had the motor replaced or would you expect a discount? So how is that any different from when I go to sell my car? The fact is that my car is worth less that what it was.

Third issue, I want to know if this is going to be the typical non-response I get from GM. After spending $180k in 8 years on corvettes, I would like to at least get a call back on the second engine failure I've had out of three corvettes. I know most people on this forum doesn't think it's a big deal when the motor blows up, and they get a new motor, and it only takes a couple of weeks to do..... Until it happens directly to them. Then on top of it all, you can't get a call back from your assigned advisor.

So yeah, that's why I've been pissed for over a week and yet I've been happy about my local service department. Today the head of my local service department said he will try to reach someone higher up through his available channels. I just don't think that he should have to do that because one guy isn't doing his job.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:18 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

The reason why I'm not happy has nothing to do with my local dealership, it's with GM customer care. When you call and speak with an agent, if the problem is serious enough you get a senior agent. Mine is John. I have never been able to talk to john and he has yet to attempt to contact me. I was told that he had an appointment to call me on the 21st regarding my car. He never did. I called again to contact him, had to talk to another agent that says she cannot over step his bounds of what he can do for me. So she calls his voice mail and emails him and his supervisor. I'm told that he has to respond within 24 hours. That was over two days ago without any attempted contact. So today I call again (4th call) and get hung up on. So do you now have any idea why I'm pissed?

As far as the car? I received it back late today. It seems to run well, sounds much better, and somehow shifts smoother. I am smelling a little coolant but I'm not thinking it's anything serious at all. I've only driven it a few miles so I'll have to give a better update to the situation later.

The issue I want to discuss with John is different. First I want to know why the motor was delayed 2 days (not a huge deal, but it was still incorrect information )

Second I want to know what they plan to do about diminished value on my new car. I know everyone on here that hasn't had this situation happen to them says it's no big deal and they aren't collector cars etc. my point is, if you were on the market to buy a corvette, would you pay the same price for one that has had the motor replaced or would you expect a discount? So how is that any different from when I go to sell my car? The fact is that my car is worth less that what it was.

Third issue, I want to know if this is going to be the typical non-response I get from GM. After spending $180k in 8 years on corvettes, I would like to at least get a call back on the second engine failure I've had out of three corvettes. I know most people on this forum doesn't think it's a big deal when the motor blows up, and they get a new motor, and it only takes a couple of weeks to do..... Until it happens directly to them. Then on top of it all, you can't get a call back from your assigned advisor.

So yeah, that's why I've been pissed for over a week and yet I've been happy about my local service department. Today the head of my local service department said he will try to reach someone higher up through his available channels. I just don't think that he should have to do that because one guy isn't doing his job.
I told you buddy the ONLY way they listen is to file a BBB claim now get on the phone and get the paper work started. You will start getting calls from GM in a few days. Tell them you are unhappy and you want a new car. Then see what they offer and go from there.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:54 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

First, I don't know what to say if you find a total of 9 business days from problem discovery to problem resolution to be unacceptable. It's a new high performance engine not a new brake caliper. Also, you said that you told them to take their time and do it right. You said don't rush it and risk causing me more problems down the road.

Are you remotely taking into account that GM chose to ship you a brand new engine instead of first taking weeks to take the old engine apart and then try to repair it? You really don't consider this a big win in that respect? Maybe look back at what happened with the blown engine on your old ZO6?

And yes, the motor apparently took two extra days to arrive. When shipping something like a new engine there are any number of issues that could have caused a one or two day delay. Welcome to the world of inventory management and heavy bulk shipping. You going to sue UPS if the delay was their fault? This aspect of your inquiry is just beyond the pale in the real business world.

But, what's the real point? Do you just want them to grovel? Did you want a cup of Starbucks for the extra two days? Do you want GM to fire the guy in shipping or just send him to Singapore to be strung up and given 20 strokes by public caning? Or, do you want $500 for the extra two days?

Diminished value on your car? Seriously? So what are you going to tell the judge or arbitrator? "I want to renegotiate my warranty terms after the fact?" Are you a, "Let's shake hands and do this deal" kinda guy or, are you a "I may have shaken hands but I'm gonna milk everything that happens to the max" kinda guy?

As you yourself pointed out, these aren't collector cars. Period. In fact, your car has now increased in value to many potential purchasers because the engine usage odometer and probable engine life odometer have just been reset to a fresh start zero.

So, if you want to live in a business world where everyone gets to renege on their agreements and constantly renegotiate with the passage of time, be careful because using your logic and business ethics, GM could just as easily counter that your car value has improved and that you should reimburse them that possible appreciation in value to offset the cost of the warranty work they performed. Either argument would be equally specious and equally lacking in good faith performance.

I also gotta tell you that if these are the kind of messages and demands that you have been leaving for this customer service problem solver, you really shouldn't be astounded and righteously indignant that he wants to have all actual warranty service guarantee issues completely resolved before having any conversation with you about renegotiating your warranty to include new terms that you never negotiated at original purchase.

Lastly, anyone who believes the BBB is going to go to war on your behalf on these non contractual demands after seeing the speed and manner in which GM repaired your vehicle is quite delusional.

But, some on here are advising you to stick to your guns and milk this to the max. It just depends on how we choose to live our lives and whether a handshake means anything. Or, are handshakes with neighbors, co-workers, friends and relatives different from handshakes with multi-national corporations?

Last edited by B747VET; 07-25-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Black&White
I told you buddy the ONLY way they listen is to file a BBB claim now get on the phone and get the paper work started. You will start getting calls from GM in a few days. Tell them you are unhappy and you want a new car. Then see what they offer and go from there.
He has a new motor installed and says the car is now fine and you're still preaching for him to demand a new car?

Please unplug your keyboard.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:33 PM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B747VET
First, I don't know what to say if you find a total of 9 business days from problem discovery to problem resolution to be unacceptable. It's a new high performance engine not a new brake caliper. Also, you said that you told them to take their time and do it right. You said don't rush it and risk causing me more problems down the road.

Are you remotely taking into account that GM chose to ship you a brand new engine instead of first taking weeks to take the old engine apart and then try to repair it? You really don't consider this a big win in that respect? Maybe look back at what happened with the blown engine on your old ZO6?

And yes, the motor apparently took two extra days to arrive. When shipping something like a new engine there are any number of issues that could have caused a one or two day delay. Welcome to the world of inventory management and heavy bulk shipping. You going to sue UPS if the delay was their fault? This aspect of your inquiry is just beyond the pale in the real business world.

But, what's the real point? Do you just want them to grovel? Did you want a cup of Starbucks for the extra two days? Do you want GM to fire the guy in shipping or just send him to Singapore to be strung up and given 20 strokes by public caning? Or, do you want $500 for the extra two days?

Diminished value on your car? Seriously? So what are you going to tell the judge or arbitrator? "I want to renegotiate my warranty terms after the fact?" Are you a, "Let's shake hands and do this deal" kinda guy or, are you a "I may have shaken hands but I'm gonna milk everything that happens to the max" kinda guy?

As you yourself pointed out, these aren't collector cars. Period. In fact, your car has now increased in value to many potential purchasers because the engine usage odometer and probable engine life odometer have just been reset to a fresh start zero.

So, if you want to live in a business world where everyone gets to renege on their agreements and constantly renegotiate with the passage of time, be careful because using your logic and business ethics, GM could just as easily counter that your car value has improved and that you should reimburse them that possible appreciation in value to offset the cost of the warranty work they performed. Either argument would be equally specious and equally lacking in good faith performance.

I also gotta tell you that if these are the kind of messages and demands that you have been leaving for this customer service problem solver, you really shouldn't be astounded and righteously indignant that he wants to have all actual warranty service guarantee issues completely resolved before having any conversation with you about renegotiating your warranty to include new terms that you never negotiated at original purchase.

Lastly, anyone who believes the BBB is going to go to war on your behalf on these non contractual demands after seeing the speed and manner in which GM repaired your vehicle is quite delusional.

But, some on here are advising you to stick to your guns and milk this to the max. It just depends on how we choose to live our lives and whether a handshake means anything. Or, are handshakes with neighbors, co-workers, friends and relatives different from handshakes with multi-national corporations?
Ok, I have no idea why you are turning this into something more than it needs to be. Do you have a personal agenda or something?

I'm upset that I just bought a brand new car and it had a faulty engine. Im upset that as a customer, I have had ZERO response from GM customer service. I'm also uspset that I now have a $60k vehicle this is considered reconditioned and will not be worth as much as it would have been if it didn't need a new engine.

You cannot tell me that if you saw two identical corvettes for sale and one had a blown motor that was replaced, that you would pay as much (or more by your logic) for it. You don't see people lined up for reconditioned goods. It lowers the value of the vehicle. Period.

As far as the shipping delay, I have no idea why it was delayed or even if it was a true delay, but it was for sure a lack of communication to the customer.

When contacting GM customer service, I have made NO demands whatsoever. I have spoken with them in a very calm and rational manner and no threats have been made. I just have questions that I want answers for. Questions that the dealer cannot answer. You implying that I'm after something that I don't deserve (answers) is an assumption on your part. Let me assume that you have not gone through this kind of situation with GM, because if you have been through what I have been, you would not be happy with how you have been treated, no matter in what the condition of your cars repair.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:04 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Ok, I have no idea why you are turning this into something more than it needs to be. Do you have a personal agenda or something?

I'm upset that I just bought a brand new car and it had a faulty engine. Im upset that as a customer, I have had ZERO response from GM customer service. I'm also uspset that I now have a $60k vehicle this is considered reconditioned and will not be worth as much as it would have been if it didn't need a new engine.

You cannot tell me that if you saw two identical corvettes for sale and one had a blown motor that was replaced, that you would pay as much (or more by your logic) for it. You don't see people lined up for reconditioned goods. It lowers the value of the vehicle. Period.

As far as the shipping delay, I have no idea why it was delayed or even if it was a true delay, but it was for sure a lack of communication to the customer.

When contacting GM customer service, I have made NO demands whatsoever. I have spoken with them in a very calm and rational manner and no threats have been made. I just have questions that I want answers for. Questions that the dealer cannot answer. You implying that I'm after something that I don't deserve (answers) is an assumption on your part. Let me assume that you have not gone through this kind of situation with GM, because if you have been through what I have been, you would not be happy with how you have been treated, no matter in what the condition of your cars repair.

GM did take care of the problem in the best possible way and very quickly. I think he was treated just fine in that way, and from what I can tell, so does he.

But that feeling of GM not really caring after just dropping serious money on a car is not fun, and I can understand why he is not happy with that part. From what I can tell no large corporation really cares a whole lot about individual consumers. They are just trying to make money and keep most buyers happy.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:16 AM
bigpete105
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

B747Vet you are spot on here....OP had an issue and his dealership resolved said issue in a timely manner. Why the need to call GM Customer Care? The three unreturned phone calls what time frame were those calls made( ie: over the course a day or several days)? I can see calling GM Customer care if my dealer was not resolving the problem but in this case they did.

As far as a "deminished value claim" did you see a sizeable deminished value on the C6Z? Are you planning on keeping the C7 long? None of can read the mind of a potential buyer.

While $180,000 over 8 years is note worthy to you and I that is only approx. $23000/year average to GM's 155 Billion annual sales.

I say life is to short to not enjoy your investment to its fullest with a new motor.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:54 AM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigpete105
B747Vet you are spot on here....OP had an issue and his dealership resolved said issue in a timely manner. Why the need to call GM Customer Care? The three unreturned phone calls what time frame were those calls made( ie: over the course a day or several days)? I can see calling GM Customer care if my dealer was not resolving the problem but in this case they did.

As far as a "deminished value claim" did you see a sizeable deminished value on the C6Z? Are you planning on keeping the C7 long? None of can read the mind of a potential buyer.

While $180,000 over 8 years is note worthy to you and I that is only approx. $23000/year average to GM's 155 Billion annual sales.

I say life is to short to not enjoy your investment to its fullest with a new motor.
I understand those points made. My first scheduled return phone call from the senior advisor never occurred. The phone calls were made over the course of a few days, not all at once or on a single day. My last phone call (one I haven't previously mentioned) I was hung up on after only asking politely to be connected to my advisor's supervisor.

My questions for customer care mainly are about remaining warranty coverage and if there is an extension on the power train warranty on my vehicle. Questions that my local dealer doesn't know.

As far as diminished value, yes I lost about $4k on the sale of my Z06 even though it was an improved car after the repair.

Lastly comparing my spending with GM to their total income is ridiculous. You could apply that to any corporation and get the same result. Does that mean that you should just deal with non existent customer service? I'm not saying that I should be treated any better than any of their customers, I'm saying that I should be acknowledged, and that has yet to happen. I would imagine that anyone here that has gone through a blown motor would be just as frustrated.

I do plan on enjoying my c7 to the fullest, and I'm grateful that my local dealer was able to take care of my vehicle as best they could.

Last edited by srobert910; 07-26-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:59 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I completely understand "srobert910" frustration with GM customer service and the senior agent "John". I agree that GM handled the situation appropriately. Respectfully, I also believe the engine shipping issue (two days late) is somewhat petty. Having said that, I think it is completely unacceptable the senior agent has not found the time to return a single phone call. This is his job and he obviously does it poorly. I don't care how busy someone is, they can find 10 minutes to return a phone call.

Hope the repair goes well.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:38 AM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

My car going back in on Monday morning for an oil change, I'll be right at 500 miles on the new motor. I'm concerned about the new motor though, I hear a tick at 1800-2500ish rpm, not as loud as before, but I don't think it's the normal DI engine noise. It also seems to be idling abnormally rough. Almost like its stumbling at times. I'm having the oil changed at 500 miles to be overly cautious and have them check for any more metal in the oil. My car is a wet sump. Crossing my fingers that all is normal. I'm not sure what direction to take if I need another engine swap.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:19 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

My car going back in on Monday morning for an oil change, I'll be right at 500 miles on the new motor. I'm concerned about the new motor though, I hear a tick at 1800-2500ish rpm, not as loud as before, but I don't think it's the normal DI engine noise. It also seems to be idling abnormally rough. Almost like its stumbling at times. I'm having the oil changed at 500 miles to be overly cautious and have them check for any more metal in the oil. My car is a wet sump. Crossing my fingers that all is normal. I'm not sure what direction to take if I need another engine swap.
Didn't I tell you it will never be right and to file a BBB claim? Have you ever seen a Dog chase its tail?

Last edited by Black&White; 08-02-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:47 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Feel your pain ! Short story just ordered my very first new Vette ..last GM car was 1978 ordered Buick Regal ..100 miles they had to rebuild the engine and then it was nothing but headaches until I sold the car ...a big finacial loss !
GM could care less ...have owned a ton of Toyotas.. Hondas etc..
I hope I have not screwed myself by giving GM another chance after almost 40 years..

TELL THEM YOU WANT A NEW CAR ...GM CAN AFFORD IT !
Old 08-02-2015, 09:25 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Well, after reading this entire thread and having called Bowling Green in the interim, my Timex is still somewhere inside the plant since the bash ................

Get notified of new replies

To 4,000 miles and a loud tick

Old 08-02-2015, 10:38 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

You should be ok as long as you do not want a roof for it .... Painted of course ..
Old 08-11-2015, 07:35 PM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

Update-

8-3-15 Brought the car in for an oil change at 500 miles and for them to check out the reoccurring tick noise. They said it was all normal.

8-11-15 Brought it back in because the tick is louder and now i have a vibration at 44-47mph in 4th gear, @aprox 2000rpm. They said there is nothing wrong with my car. They kept it the entire day, and didn't even drive the car to check for the symptoms. I took a pic of the mileage when i dropped it off and when i picked it up, it's the exact same.

So i just filed a claim with the BBB. Three times in for the same issue, 14 days out of service so far.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:26 AM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

In case anyone is interested...

In FL, to start a lemon law claim, you have to notify the vehicle manufacturer of the defects of the vehicle by certified letter. They then have 10 days to respond with an appointment to have one final attempt for repair, then 10 days to repair the issues.

So I send my letter and its signed for at 11am on Friday August 21st. I receive a phone call on the following Monday saying that they received it and are working to make an appointment to have an engineer check it out. I get a phone call Monday 31st at 3:30pm (technically over 10 days). She has an appointment set up for me today (Wednesday September 2nd) and actually asks if it would be more convenient to drop it off the night before (I could not do that before they closed).

So here is where the fun begins. I'm in the service lane at the dealership this morning and they don't have an appointment for me. They have notes that I have an appointment on sept 8th. I go to call the person handling my claim at GM and as I'm about to be connected, I receive a call from her. She says that my appointment has been moved to the 8th. So I say that is unacceptable and that I rearranged my schedule to being my vehicle in for this appointment. She says that there is nothing that can be done and that she was off yesterday so she could not contact me to let me know it was rescheduled. I ask to speak with someone else or a supervisor about this. She says that she is the only person that I will be able to speak with since she is handling my case. Then she says that someone will contact me within 24 hours. She also says that she will mail me a letter (U.S. Mail) to let me know my appointment has been changed.

I know to many people this might just sound normal and that I'm nit picking, but please understand that this kind of thing has been happening the entire time with having my car repaired. The only time I have received any phone call from GM is when I pursue legal action that they have to respond to.

So everyone that has made it this far into my story, what do you think? Are they this incompetent at every single level? Or are they just screwing with me until I drop everything and just deal with a messed up vehicle?

Quick Reply: 4,000 miles and a loud tick