Sponsored by:

Door latch opened while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:27 AM
wingerr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door latch opened while driving

Had an odd occurrence one time while driving, and wondered if anyone's experienced it before.

I was driving, taking a right sweeping curve at slow street speeds, when the driver door latch opened on its own. This was at night, so the interior lights come on, not ideal while driving at night.
The secondary latch held the door closed, so it didn't actually fly open on the turn, which was good.
However, because the car is in motion, the door button is locked out, so I couldn't push it to open the door to close it fully. Could use the manual release, but I'd rather have a hand on the door handle when trying the maneuver while in motion, and didn't want to two hand it with both hands off the wheel.
Continued driving until I could come to a stop, to open and close the door again.
Don't think I hit the button with my knee or anything, which was the first thought, and plus hitting the button really shouldn't do anything in motion anyway.
I guess it was an electrical glitch the made it through. Hasn't happened before or since.
Was this the only instance of this happening?
Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Maybe the electronic latch didn't make properly. The secondary latch worked as designed. See if it happens again, hopefully isolated malfunction.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:38 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

somehow managed to hook the manual release with your heel, perhaps?
Old 07-19-2015, 09:34 PM
wingerr
Advanced

Haven't had it happen again since, so I'll just chalk it up to a singular cosmic glitch. I've practiced reaching down with my left hand to pull the manual release, holding the door handle with my right hand, and steering with my knees, should this ever recur, so I can secure the door, without having to pull over and put it in park first.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hopefully just a glitch in the car that won't repeat itself.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:02 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I had this happen once or twice. I figured I didn't close the door good enough for the primary latch to hold. Secondary latch held like its supposed to. The one time I do remember, it happened in a parking lot just after backing out of the parking space and heading out. I'm pretty sure, in my case, it was a mechanical issue rather than some electric/electronic issue. '15 base coupe build date 12/15/14.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:40 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by wingerr
However, because the car is in motion, the door button is locked out, so I couldn't push it to open the door to close it fully.
Don't think I hit the button with my knee or anything, which was the first thought, and plus hitting the button really shouldn't do anything in motion anyway.
I guess it was an electrical glitch the made it through. Hasn't happened before or since.
Agree, not easy to do by inadvertently hitting one button! At least with a manual trans even with the car stopped, with the engine running I have to first push the unlock button before the door open button will operate! Bit scary. Would think if the door wasn't closed you would have an indication on the dash. Have no answers but question something is not adjusted properly. If it's the indicator for an open door the dealer should be able to check.
In my '34 Street Rod with electric suicide doors (last year Ford offered suicide doors in a 2 door) I installed mechanical pin locks (available in the aftermarket.) They have an alarm that chimes if they are not closed when the engine is started. I actually have disconnected the alarm as it was a PITA! However your experience makes me question that decision!
Old 07-20-2015, 06:02 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Yesterday I had a similar problem with my passenger side door. I would shut it and it would pop right back open. Kept doing it over and over. Once I locked it, it stayed shut.

We went over a buddies house and it started doing it again. Your could hear the actuator going nuts. It then stopped and has been fine since.

The only thing I did was to blow out the door sills with the Master Blaster. My guess is that was the catalyst. We'll see if it happens again.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:20 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Haven't had it happen again since, so I'll just chalk it up to a singular cosmic glitch. I've practiced reaching down with my left hand to pull the manual release, holding the door handle with my right hand, and steering with my knees, should this ever recur, so I can secure the door, without having to pull over and put it in park first.
Can you unlock (not unlatch) the door by pushing the unlock button while the car is in motion? I know it works with the engine running and the car in neutral, but not sure about the car in gear. Doing that, and then pressing the unlatch button, might be easier than reaching for the manual release.

The other thing I might try is, with the door ajar as happened to you while driving, is just grab the door handle and yank it towards you, to see if you can pull it closed.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:04 PM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Had an odd occurrence one time while driving, and wondered if anyone's experienced it before.

I was driving, taking a right sweeping curve at slow street speeds, when the driver door latch opened on its own. This was at night, so the interior lights come on, not ideal while driving at night.
The secondary latch held the door closed, so it didn't actually fly open on the turn, which was good.
However, because the car is in motion, the door button is locked out, so I couldn't push it to open the door to close it fully. Could use the manual release, but I'd rather have a hand on the door handle when trying the maneuver while in motion, and didn't want to two hand it with both hands off the wheel.
Continued driving until I could come to a stop, to open and close the door again.
It happened to me once. I was driving 25 MPH on straight road, and it did the same thing yours did. A little un-nerving. That was about a month after I got the car (March 28) and it hasn't happened since.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:54 AM
wingerr
Advanced

Originally Posted by meyerweb
The other thing I might try is, with the door ajar as happened to you while driving, is just grab the door handle and yank it towards you, to see if you can pull it closed.
I didn't try that as the handle's rather forward in position, so it seemed like it would need an overly mighty tug to close without the usual momentum of the swinging door.
Still has never recurred since that one time, but the most annoying thing really was just the interior LED lights coming on and glaring in my eyes.
What I really want to find out is why they made no provisions for turning those lights off entirely, like most other cars.
I don't like how they come on automatically every time the car is shut down- if I happen to need the light on I'd rather to turn it on myself. Some times I just don't need automatic everything, I still like being able to push buttons and turn a few ***** from time to time. I may see about just unplugging them as a workaround.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

have had my c7 two days ... I will say closing of the doors has something odd about it ...spoething just not right ..
Old 08-02-2017, 12:40 PM
durjon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this happen a few times while parked in the garage. I would shut it and it would be popped open the next time I checked. Yesterday morning it was popped open and I closed it. Now this morning it was popped open again. I locked it this morning and will have to check tomorrow. 2016 convert 2500 miles.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:46 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

You can push the "Unlock" button while driving and then the door button will work and you can use one hand to open and re-close the door.

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
wingerr (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM
wingerr
Advanced

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
You can push the "Unlock" button while driving and then the door button will work and you can use one hand to open and re-close the door.
Elmer
That's good, should have realized the door button didn't operate simply because the door was locked. That'd be way better than trying to go for the manual release while moving.

Get notified of new replies

To Door latch opened while driving

Quick Reply: Door latch opened while driving