Sponsored by:

Manual or Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 02:47 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
Because most people never have the opportunity to learn to drive them, and are too lazy.

But yes, true manuals are going the way of the dodo. All the more reason to take advantage of one of the few remaining high performance cars that still offers the joy of shifting for yourself. And no, flappy paddles are not "shifting for yourself." That's just telling the computer to do it for you. might as play Grand Theft Auto on a Playstation and call it driving.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:30 PM
JJoeG
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 14 with the A6. Love it. I autocross it as well. No issues at all. Except maybe making the tires look like I took a cheese grater to them!
Old 07-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

BTW my local dealer has had 3 Z06 M7's traded recently for automatics.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:02 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

If you look at the numbers, only a quarter of the people like manuals in the base & Z51 cars. I'm sure the numbers would have been higher for the autos had they started production at the same time as the manuals. Here's a reprint for the "Corvette Blogger";

Folks always like to know what the breakdown is with the 7-speed manual transmission vs the new 8-speed automatic. For the 2015 Corvette Stingray, that breakdown was 25.6% manual and 74.4% automatic. For the Z06, the take rate on the 7-speed manual was 51.6% while the new 8-speed auto accounted for 48.4%. The automatics started production a little over a month after the 7-speed manuals so perhaps this will change for 2016.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:09 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

The automatic/manual question should never be asked. If you really don't know what you want, why ask others what you want.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
The automatic/manual question should never be asked. If you really don't know what you want, why ask others what you want.
GPM has a good point
Old 07-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Lomison
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or Automatic?

I was able to drive both the auto 8 and the manual seven and hands-down the manual was the best way to go. The automatic transmission may shift fast and it may give you good performance but it feels like a video game... I'll just leave that to the millennial's.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:10 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Automatic
Old 07-22-2015, 07:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Because most people never have the opportunity to learn to drive them, and are too lazy.

But yes, true manuals are going the way of the dodo. All the more reason to take advantage of one of the few remaining high performance cars that still offers the joy of shifting for yourself. And no, flappy paddles are not "shifting for yourself." That's just telling the computer to do it for you. might as play Grand Theft Auto on a Playstation and call it driving.
Guess some of us who started with 3 speeds are going the same way! Hope they still have one for my 2019!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:08 PM
F22g
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The decision is up to you. I went through the same exercise regarding whether to buy a Porsche Turbo S as it only come in PDK (Automatic). I prefer the manual execution of my sports cars. The overall decision isn't about how fast it will shift but the enjoyment and interaction of the transmission. I have the PDK in my Panamera and manual in the Carrera S so it allowed me to truly determine which I preferred overall. I tried to convince myself that the PDK manual sport mode would be the best of both worlds. For myself, I bored of this experience and chose to forgo the Turbo S. I also chose a M7 for this C7 as I didn't want the A8 for myself.
We all have different requirements so the decision is yours to make. I would suggest that you try to rent ( as suggested in an earlier post) and test drive as any times both transmissions needed to assist you with your transmission decision.

Last edited by F22g; 07-22-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:00 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Twenty lifetime Vettes. And, only one automatic. An '82 Collector Edition. Hopefully, GM produces a GrandSport type C7. If so, I'll continue on with a manual.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

This question gets asked alot and I wonder if the answers actually help the OP make a decision. Anyway, here's mine: Unless you don't know how or don't like manuals generally, like my wife, manuals are way more fun to drive.

I've been driving manuals since I was 20 (I'm 55). My first vette was an auto and I promised myself that, if I ever got another, it would be a manual. My next 3, all daily drivers, have all been manuals and I wouldn't have it any other way, even in Houston traffic. Unless I lose the use of my left leg, my next one will be manual also.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:57 PM
F7addict
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trading my 15 m7 in. Going to try a8 in my ordered 16 plus my wife will be able to enjoy driving it as well. The 7 gets old. Hope my decision to try the auto works out. I also agree with others here who have said the exotics are all automatic and I think that's the way to go overall. Hoping the paddle shift is like an s5 I drove. It rocked.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:13 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Yup.

I always get a chuckle when someone asks this. Quite honestly, if you need to ask someone else, you should be taking public transport
Old 07-22-2015, 09:16 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

a manual transmission adds the most "fun factor"!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:40 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

While the A8 is a fine unit, I would never buy an automatic Corvette. I just prefer the control and rowing of the gears.

For those who don't plan on keeping their C7's stock, the M7's typically will see bigger gains in RWHP with the same modifications over the A8 but the A8 is faster in the 1/4 mile, mod for mod.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

seeing how most owners are above 55 years old. I cant even believe GM offered a stick

Get notified of new replies

To Manual or Automatic?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:55 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Manual or Automatic?

I was lucky enough to find a dealer that would let me test drive the manual and auto back to back. Initially wanted the manual before driving the C7.
7 speeds was just too many. Wish they had stuck with 6 (like the new Camaro with the C7 engine).
The auto is freaking BRILLIANT. Lots of fun tricks like tap once and hold down shift paddle to go to the lowest gear. Hold up shift paddle to get it to go back into drive instead of manual mode.
With the 2-3 minute long traffic lights by my house, it was a no brainer.
Plus, much easier to resell the auto down the road. Hope to keep the car 10 years. Not sure if people will even know how to drive stick in 2025??!

Last edited by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego; 07-22-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:06 AM
jkeithv
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

They're not dying for that reason. Its because the new autos are really so much better than the old school autos. Faster shifting, more reliable. And important for the manufacturer - better at protecting themselves and the engine from damage from people who don't known how to shift properly, esp in these high powered cars. Less warranty repairs. And paddle shifting is you telling the tranny exactly when to shift. Which is just what your doing when you manually shift. But the auto is a lot faster and less likely to make an error than you ;-). And no, not the same as playing a video game, Lol. I do enjoy rowing through the gears in my manual. But the paddles can be just as rewarding, just in a different way. And the A6 can't be compared to the A8. COMPLETELY different animal!
Old 07-23-2015, 02:16 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeithv
They're not dying for that reason. Its because the new autos are really so much better than the old school autos. Faster shifting, more reliable. And important for the manufacturer - better at protecting themselves and the engine from damage from people who don't known how to shift properly, esp in these high powered cars. Less warranty repairs. And paddle shifting is you telling the tranny exactly when to shift. Which is just what your doing when you manually shift. But the auto is a lot faster and less likely to make an error than you ;-). And no, not the same as playing a video game, Lol. I do enjoy rowing through the gears in my manual. But the paddles can be just as rewarding, just in a different way. And the A6 can't be compared to the A8. COMPLETELY different animal!
just wondering what makes it a completely different animal to you?

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic?