Sponsored by:

Brown Tires and Gray Trim???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Brown Tires and Gray Trim???

I've had my C7 almost 2 months and try to keep it as clean as possible. Last night was the 4th or 5th time I've washed it and I'm noticing that the tires are turning brown and the fender well trim is turning gray (almost as if I accidentally put wax on them, which I didnt).

While I understand that this will happen eventually, is it normal for it to happen this quickly? I have less than 1000 miles on the car.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Just out of curiosity, was the car on the lot for an extended period before you bought it? If so, maybe the elements or incorrect cleaning by the dealer contributed to it.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:21 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Just out of curiosity, was the car on the lot for an extended period before you bought it? If so, maybe the elements or incorrect cleaning by the dealer contributed to it.
Nope, I ordered it brand new. Only time it stays outside is when I'm at work and even then, I only drive it to work once, MAYBE twice, a week.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:33 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

The science behind the modern rubber formulas used by major tire manufactures today is both complex and interesting. The rubber itself contains and ingredient called Antiozonant.

Antiozonant is an ingredient that helps to prevent the exterior rubber surface from cracking, checking, oxidizing, and deteriorating. The rubber is designed in such a way as to constantly work its way to the outside of the tire and as such, continually replenish the exterior surface with fresh antiozonant.

After the antiozonant works its way to the outside of the tire and is exposed to the ozone in the air, it turns brown. The technical term for this effect is blooming.

This is why you see a brown film on the surface your tires. You can wash your tires with soap or an all-purpose cleaner and remove this film, but in a few weeks, it's back. That's because the antiozonant continually works its way to the outside of the tires every time you drive your car.

Thus before applying a dressing you really need to do a thorough job of cleaning the outer surface of the tire to remove any spent antiozonants as well as any previously applied dressing and this will prepare the rubber to accept a fresh application of tire dressing.

My suggestion......Use a solution of Dawn detergent, and scrub brush, and then try applying Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel in a thin coat.

The Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel lasts a good amount of time compared to other products I have seen and used.

Meguiar's G7516 Endurance Tire Gel - 16 oz. sells for under $10.00 the largest on-line retail website.

You will have to end up cleaning your particulair set of tires more often compared to others.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:44 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
My suggestion......Use a solution of Dawn detergent, and scrub brush, and then try applying Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel in a thin coat.

The Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel lasts a good amount of time compared to other products I have seen and used.

Meguiar's G7516 Endurance Tire Gel - 16 oz. sells for under $10.00 the largest on-line retail website.

You will have to end up cleaning your particulair set of tires more often compared to others.
Thanks for the info. Last night when I was the car, I actually used a scrub brush for the first time on the tires and I just used some car soap to clean them, along with the wheels (Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax). It seems like using the scrub brush brought out more brown than before.

I did put some of my Blackfire Tire Gel on it afterwards and the tires look better. I'm just surprised they browned this quickly.

As well as the plastic trim. I'm surprised its starting to fade this quick.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:51 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

As for the plastic trim turning from black to gray. Keep in mind that plastics are petroleum based. After a period of time the plastic and the plastic trim parts are exposed to the elements they start to oxidize due to the elements. Yours is doing this process much early in the life of the trim. Not unsual but rare after 1000 miles.

If the piece is opaque, coated plastic or urethane (used on trim and moldings), then treat it with a regular application of a high-quality dressing.

If not treated properly, over a period of time, the black will then continue to fade to gray at a much more rapid pace. So in this instance you will need to clean the surface of the parts fading from black to gray.

My suggestion........use a solution of Dawn detergent and apply 303 Aerospace Protectent on the faded areas. Use a sponge to apply. This is a high quality product used in marine applications and aircraft applications as well as automotive applications. Marine boats and aircraft are subject to the elements much more than automobiles, and this product works great. A spray bottle of 303 will go a along way. You can buy this product from the largest on-line retailer website for under $20.00

303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz.

You will need to make sure that this process is completed on a regular basis, becuase if not treated properly the plastic trim that is fading black to gray will start to get brittle and crack.

Is your C7 parked in a garage or left constantly outside? and how much exposure to the sun does the C7 get? If it is allot, then be sure to keep up with the above process on a regular basis.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:55 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

My suggestion........use a solution of Dawn detergent and apply 303 Aerospace Protectent on the faded areas. Use a sponge to apply. This is a high quality product used in marine applications and aircraft applications as well as automotive applications. Marine boats and aircraft are subject to the elements much more than automobiles, and this product works great. A spray bottle of 303 will go a along way. You can buy this product from the largest on-line retailer website for under $20.00

303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz.

You will need to make sure that this process is completed on a regular basis, becuase if not treated properly the plastic trim that is fading black to gray will start to get brittle and crack.

Is your C7 parked in a garage or left constantly outside? and how much exposure to the sun does the C7 get? If it is allot, then be sure to keep up with the above process on a regular basis.
I kind of answered this above. But, car is always garaged unless I'm at work, which its only driven to work a maybe a couple times a week.

303 looks like a great product. But do you think there is anything local I can pickup that would help? The wife wants to drive it to work for the first this week and I've been asked to pretty it up

Would cleaning the plastic with an automotive all purpose cleaner and then maybe some Mother's Back to Black do the trick?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:00 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Google "Tire Bloom" regarding the brown tires.

As far as the black turning gray, maybe you're washing it TOO often, with too harsh a cleaner.

Back to Black works well.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:01 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Google "Tire Bloom" regarding the brown tires.

As far as the black turning gray, maybe you're washing it TOO often, with too harsh a cleaner.
Hmm. All I've used is Chemical Guys Maxi Suds on the black trim except this last time where I used some Meguiars Ultimate Wax & Wax.

I hate to admit it but washing too often may be a possibility.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Wm Rose
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had my C7 for over a year, and none of the plastic has started turning grey yet. But I also haven't had to wash it. It's never been wet. I clean it with dusters and detailers.

I use the Mothers Back to Black on my Silverado black plastic pieces that started turning grey, and it works great.

I'd check with your dealer, and see if they will replace the plastic parts under warrantee, on a brand new car. They shouldn't be going bad this soon.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Mother's back to black will work.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:18 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wm Rose
I've had my C7 for over a year, and none of the plastic has started turning grey yet. But I also haven't had to wash it. It's never been wet. I clean it with dusters and detailers.

I use the Mothers Back to Black on my Silverado black plastic pieces that started turning grey, and it works great.

I'd check with your dealer, and see if they will replace the plastic parts under warrantee, on a brand new car. They shouldn't be going bad this soon.
Yeah, I had thought about that. Not that I'm trying to blame anyone, but, I'm wondering if anything was put on it during the dealer prep that may have caused an issue.

I was thinking of at least trying to use some all purpose cleaner on it just to see if it's something that'll come off before I get anyone else involved.

I don't have a problem with it turning gray. I've never owned a car that didn't. I'm just surprised that it did it so soon and it has me worried that, if it discolored this quickly, how long will they last. I was just trying to see if anyone else had the same experience.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:19 AM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/276...es-turn-brown/
Old 07-22-2015, 10:20 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Just to be clear with everyone, I read up on tire bloom last night. I'm just more curious why it happened so quickly and if I'm doing something to cause it (along with the trim turning gray).
Old 07-22-2015, 10:36 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
I kind of answered this above. But, car is always garaged unless I'm at work, which its only driven to work a maybe a couple times a week.

303 looks like a great product. But do you think there is anything local I can pickup that would help? The wife wants to drive it to work for the first this week and I've been asked to pretty it up

Would cleaning the plastic with an automotive all purpose cleaner and then maybe some Mother's Back to Black do the trick?
IndyPilot:

I would use the Dawn dish washing product sold at any grocery store and the Mother's Back to Black will work just fine. Once you run out of the Mother's try the 303 Aerospace Protectent.

You may be able to find the 303 at any larger major auto parts retail store national chains. I am sure you know who they are.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:51 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

IndyPilot:

I would use the Dawn dish washing product sold at any grocery store and the Mother's Back to Black will work just fine. Once you run out of the Mother's try the 303 Aerospace Protectent.

You may be able to find the 303 at any larger major auto parts retail store national chains. I am sure you know who they are.
Cool. I suggested an APC because I need buy some anyway and I just washed/sealed the car. I figured putting some APC on a sponge and cleaning the trim that way would be more easily "controlled" than the dawn soap.

Either way, thanks for the suggestions!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:57 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Take the wheel off the car lay it on an old towel or something so you don't scratch up the back of the wheel.

Then spray some purple cleaner on dry tires (do not wet the tires) wetting the tire dilutes the cleaners strength then you need to spray it to keep the cleaner wet then scrub them with a tire or scrub brush.

You might have to repeat the process to get all the brown off the rubber, on my honda I went over them with brake cleaner the dealer used some sort of tire dressing on those tires.

Not using tire dressings helps the tire stay its natural color longer, I'm one of those people who doesn't want shiny tires, I like the color tires are suppose to be when they are new with nothing on them

Last edited by bob guzzy; 07-22-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brown Tires and Gray Trim???

Old 07-22-2015, 12:21 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

IndyPilot:

Wait, is this the same 303 that I can get at an outdoor/camping place?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ls.cgi?i=23238

If that the same stuff, I'll just stop by there and pick it up.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
Wait, is this the same 303 that I can get at an outdoor/camping place?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ls.cgi?i=23238

If that the same stuff, I'll just stop by there and pick it up.
IndyPilot:

Yes, it is........$18.39 at Amazon w. 2 day delivery.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:35 PM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Regarding the black trim, Solution Finish restores faded black trim very well. It has a black chemical component (some kind of dye, I guess) that penetrates the trim and renews its color. More common products only temporarily deepen the color. My buddy used it on his Jeep's black plastic fender and it worked great. It's semi permanent, so there's no need to reapply after every wash. It's worth a look.

www.solutionfinish.com

Last edited by VY427; 07-22-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Brown Tires and Gray Trim???