Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relaced Run-flats with Non-run-flats!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 PM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Relaced Run-flats with Non-run-flats!

Yesterday, I replaced my Michelin Run-flats with Bridgestone S-04 Pole position tires. I was amazed at the low tire noise level and the comfort experienced! Handling characteristics reflect excellent grip with a slight reduction in initial turn-in, but still very "crisp"! Yesterday, I got to drive in heavy rain and not a hint of hyro-planing in several spots where water was pooling up on the highway. Based on the short time I have driven on them, I am totally satisfied with the performance of the Bridgestones at roughly half the price of the run-flats!

I can't remember the last time I had a flat tire, but I have always carried a "plugging kit" for that rare occasion you have a puncture.
A couple of weeks ago Consumers Report ran an article indicating the public now does not think the run-flats offer much of an advantage over a standard tire. In a lot of cases, you can be stranded for days in some areas where the run-flats are not kept in inventory and you have to wait for them to be shipped to your location.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ires/index.htm
Old 07-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

I've been considering this, too. I think the lighter tires would aid the suspension response. Trying to plug one on the side of the road might be a significant hassle though and it would be a bummer to damage a wheel.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:28 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

I hate run-flat tires... its a technology for clueless idiots who cannot use a simple tool, and allows the MFG to delete the spare tire.. saving cost.

Most flats occur for two reasons... a nail, or a catastrophic impact.

At least in my state, a "patched" or "plugged" run flat will not pass inspection. And a "run flat" subjected to a catastrophic impact will come apart in 40 miles of driving.

Basically, a "run flat" guarantees that you have 40 miles to drive to the nearest tire dealer to pay full retail for a replacement.... probably about $350 if you are lucky.

If you are on a trip on Sunday afternoon, and you hit a pothole... well find a Motel 7.5, have a gourmet meal at the nearest Crappleby's and move your schedule back two days.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Had a set of Continental DWS 06 tires installed today. Noticeable difference in ride quality and noise level. Very pleased with my decision. Sold my OEM Michelins with less than 100 miles to a friend with a C6.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by jcp911s
At least in my state, a "patched" or "plugged" run flat will not pass inspection.
Do they dismount the tires to inspect for patches on the inside?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:09 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Do they dismount the tires to inspect for patches on the inside?
They dismount every tire looking for ganga...

I'm not a tire engineer, but my understanding is that the manufacturer's specification will not support a patch or plug, and the tire must be replaced...

That said, if you slip cousin Louie a hunny, you can probably buy a sticker... different story.

But if somebody can post a manufacturer that will legally support patching or plugging a run-flat tire, then I'm interested.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:13 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I hate run-flat tires... its a technology for clueless idiots who cannot use a simple tool, and allows the MFG to delete the spare tire.. saving cost.

Most flats occur for two reasons... a nail, or a catastrophic impact.

At least in my state, a "patched" or "plugged" run flat will not pass inspection. And a "run flat" subjected to a catastrophic impact will come apart in 40 miles of driving.

Basically, a "run flat" guarantees that you have 40 miles to drive to the nearest tire dealer to pay full retail for a replacement.... probably about $350 if you are lucky.

If you are on a trip on Sunday afternoon, and you hit a pothole... well find a Motel 7.5, have a gourmet meal at the nearest Crappleby's and move your schedule back two days.
Well, this CLUELESS IDIOT will laugh as he drives by you as you lay on the ground trying to find out why you have a flat tire....This has been discuss ad nausem on every Corvette Forum since the introduction of the run flat tire. If it makes you feel good to drive on run flats....GOOD....But me thinks the clueless idiot is YOU.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

They dismount every tire looking for ganga... I'm not a tire engineer, but my understanding is that the manufacturer's specification will not support a patch or plug, and the tire must be replaced... That said, if you slip cousin Louie a hunny, you can probably buy a sticker... different story. But if somebody can post a manufacturer that will legally support patching or plugging a run-flat tire, then I'm interested.
Michelin (and others) does support a one time patch on their run flat tires as long as the puncture is not on the outer portion of the tire.

Selected Tire Manufacturer's Policies for Run-Flat Tire Repair
The following list summarizes tire manufacturers' repair policies, however it should be noted that every tire manufacturer that consents to repair, does so only after the punctured tire has passed a thorough exterior and interior examination.

Manufacturer/Brand Repair Policy Additional Provisions
BFGoodrich Permitted 1 repair maximum
Bridgestone Permitted Only if 15 psi maintained
Continental Does not recommend Mfg. Road Hazard Program*
Dunlop Permitted
Firestone Permitted Only if 15 psi maintained
Goodyear Permitted
Kumho Permitted
Michelin Permitted 1 repair maximum
Pirelli Not endorsed Mfg. Road Hazard Program**
Yokohama Not to be repaired Mfg. Road Hazard Program***
*Replaced free of charge first year or first 2/32" of wear (whichever comes first). Continental advises that a repair to one of its tires invalidates all other manufacturer's warranties.
**Replaced free of charge first year or first 2/32" of wear (whichever comes first), then prorated until worn to 2/32" of remaining tread depth
***5-year prorated replacement until worn to 2/32" of remaining tread depth if punctured in RMA defined repairable area

Use of run-flat tires deemed non-repairable may result in vehicle or property damage, as well as can cause personal injury or death.

Tire Rack will not repair any run-flat tires that have been driven in a severely underinflated or zero pressure condition because the service conditions they experienced and integrity of their internal structure cannot be confirmed.

Last edited by TNSQUIRE; 07-28-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:36 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Michelin (and others) does support a one time patch on their run flat tires as long as the puncture is not on the outer portion of the tire.

Selected Tire Manufacturer's Policies for Run-Flat Tire Repair
The following list summarizes tire manufacturers' repair policies, however it should be noted that every tire manufacturer that consents to repair, does so only after the punctured tire has passed a thorough exterior and interior examination.

Manufacturer/Brand Repair Policy Additional Provisions
BFGoodrich Permitted 1 repair maximum
Bridgestone Permitted Only if 15 psi maintained
Continental Does not recommend Mfg. Road Hazard Program*
Dunlop Permitted
Firestone Permitted Only if 15 psi maintained
Goodyear Permitted
Kumho Permitted
Michelin Permitted 1 repair maximum
Pirelli Not endorsed Mfg. Road Hazard Program**
Yokohama Not to be repaired Mfg. Road Hazard Program***
*Replaced free of charge first year or first 2/32" of wear (whichever comes first). Continental advises that a repair to one of its tires invalidates all other manufacturer's warranties.
**Replaced free of charge first year or first 2/32" of wear (whichever comes first), then prorated until worn to 2/32" of remaining tread depth
***5-year prorated replacement until worn to 2/32" of remaining tread depth if punctured in RMA defined repairable area

Use of run-flat tires deemed non-repairable may result in vehicle or property damage, as well as can cause personal injury or death.

Tire Rack will not repair any run-flat tires that have been driven in a severely underinflated or zero pressure condition because the service conditions they experienced and integrity of their internal structure cannot be confirmed.
That is a seriously awesome piece of research... kudos to you...

My take-away... subtracting the legalese, of course, is that, if you are willing to spend $350 verifying that the repair meets specifications, you can save spending $350 on a new tire...

Or words to that intent...
Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by sccaracer46
Yesterday, I replaced my Michelin Run-flats with Bridgestone S-04 Pole position tires. I was amazed at the low tire noise level and the comfort experienced! Handling characteristics reflect excellent grip with a slight reduction in initial turn-in, but still very "crisp"! Yesterday, I got to drive in heavy rain and not a hint of hyro-planing in several spots where water was pooling up on the highway. Based on the short time I have driven on them, I am totally satisfied with the performance of the Bridgestones at roughly half the price of the run-flats!

I can't remember the last time I had a flat tire, but I have always carried a "plugging kit" for that rare occasion you have a puncture.
A couple of weeks ago Consumers Report ran an article indicating the public now does not think the run-flats offer much of an advantage over a standard tire. In a lot of cases, you can be stranded for days in some areas where the run-flats are not kept in inventory and you have to wait for them to be shipped to your location.

Basic flawed logic. If one has a non-reparable flat on a RF, it need not be replaced with a RF.

RF or non RF, the chances of a tire fitting the Corvette being in stock are slim, at best, so you are likely to be stuck, anyway. If you want to drive a long way from home, and want a car where a tire is likely to be a normal stock item, then drive a Prius.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:49 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

They dismount every tire looking for ganga...

I'm not a tire engineer, but my understanding is that the manufacturer's specification will not support a patch or plug, and the tire must be replaced...

That said, if you slip cousin Louie a hunny, you can probably buy a sticker... different story.

But if somebody can post a manufacturer that will legally support patching or plugging a run-flat tire, then I'm interested.
First, most manufacturers say it's fine to patch/plug a tire from the inside. Some specify one repair, some allow more. Tire Rack had an article on tire manufacturers repair policies, but I can't find it at the moment. (Edit, I see it's been posted above.)

The thing the anti-runflat crowd seems to forget is that the Corvette has no jack, no lug wrench, and with a flat tire almost no ground clearance. Good luck finding the puncture and plugging it with an inch of ground clearance around the flat tire and no way to remove the wheel. Then again, you can drive on the shoulder at 2 or 3 mph until the tire is totally destroyed and comes off the rim, and hope you get to a tire store. And then wait for them to order one that fits your Corvette, because they probably don't have one in stock, run-flat or otherwise.

But what state do you live it? I'll make a note never to move there. That intrusive an inspection process is absurd. Some inspection monkey damages a $500 rim and I see a lawsuit in the works.

Last edited by meyerweb; 07-28-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:53 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

That is a seriously awesome piece of research... kudos to you... My take-away... subtracting the legalese, of course, is that, if you are willing to spend $350 verifying that the repair meets specifications, you can save spending $350 on a new tire... Or words to that intent...
I Had my Michelin run flat repaired at Costco. No charge. The screw went through in the middle of the tire. It has never leaked a bit since the repair.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by meyerweb
First, most manufacturers say it's fine to patch/plug a tire from the inside. Some specify one repair, some allow more. Tire Rack had an article on tire manufacturers repair policies, but I can't find it at the moment. (Edit, I see it's been posted above.)

The thing the anti-runflat crowd seems to forget is that the Corvette has no jack, no lug wrench, and with a flat tire almost no ground clearance. Good luck finding the puncture and plugging it with an inch of ground clearance around the flat tire and no way to remove the wheel. Then again, you can drive on the shoulder at 2 or 3 mph until the tire is totally destroyed and comes off the rim, and hope you get to a tire store. And then wait for them to order one that fits your Corvette, because they probably don't have one in stock, run-flat or otherwise.

But what state do you live it? I'll make a note never to move there. That intrusive an inspection process is absurd. Some inspection monkey damages a $500 rim and I see a lawsuit in the works.
So, if you have a tire failure in the middle of nowhere, the fact that you couldn't change your tire anyway should be a source of comfort.

Good point.

"Run flat" is a legal concept that has nothing to do with actual tire construction or performance.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:37 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

"Run flat" is a legal concept that has nothing to do with actual tire construction or performance.

Let the air out of two identical tires; one RF and one not. Drive each for 50 miles at 50 mph. Let us know how it works out, and be sure to post pics of the damage to the car and wheel with the non-RF tire.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Well, this CLUELESS IDIOT will laugh as he drives by you as you lay on the ground trying to find out why you have a flat tire....This has been discuss ad nausem on every Corvette Forum since the introduction of the run flat tire. If it makes you feel good to drive on run flats....GOOD....But me thinks the clueless idiot is YOU.
While runflats do have their disadvantages, they certainly are an added measure of safety when the rare tire puncture occurs.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Let the air out of two identical tires; one RF and one not. Drive each for 50 miles at 50 mph. Let us know how it works out, and be sure to post pics of the damage to the car and wheel with the non-RF tire.
Those of us who know better than to venture away from home in a car w/ no jack or spares w/o using RFs can scream into the wind for all the good we'll do.

Even posting a picture like this:

which shows that you can drive long distances, with no rim damage, on RFs after something catastrophic, is unlikely to change the opinion of someone who thinks they are bullet-proof.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:16 AM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

It depends on sidewall construction...

"Run Flat" lets manufacturers sell cars without spare tires, jacks, tools, and the ability of the driver to actually change a flat tire... as a poster pointed out

It simply means that the sidewall construction will support the weight of the car for 50 miles at 50 mph.

Most modern, low profile performance tires can do that too, they simply have not met a governmentally approved standard that the lawyers can defend in court.

I have driven racing tires on track with almost no air in them, and the sidewall stiffness kept them on the rim and functioning.

And yes, I drove a "run flat" for 50 miles... pothole damage, and it was totally destroyed and had to be replaced... $350, and a flat-bed charge, btw... no spare... so thanks.

The OP was stating that modern high performance after-market street tires perform well compared with "run flats" is accurate.

My point is simply that "run flat" is a legal term that protects manufacturers from litigation and has very little real-world value on a high performance sports car.

Get notified of new replies

To Relaced Run-flats with Non-run-flats!

Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 AM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sccaracer46

curious how many miles you put on the M-ZP's before you switched, how much tread was left...and why you switched?

also curious if anyone else can comment on the S-04's?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

I wonder what a C7 would look like with a continental kit on the back.

(just kidding folks).
Old 07-29-2015, 09:16 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Basic flawed logic. If one has a non-reparable flat on a RF, it need not be replaced with a RF.

RF or non RF, the chances of a tire fitting the Corvette being in stock are slim, at best, so you are likely to be stuck, anyway. If you want to drive a long way from home, and want a car where a tire is likely to be a normal stock item, then drive a Prius.
Thank you. I never understand why folks feel the need to justify what they do to THEIR car. Don't want to pay for runflats......fine by me.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Relaced Run-flats with Non-run-flats!