C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I let my courtesy delivery dealer wash my new C7?

Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 PM
oldfoggy
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default no, no and NO

Originally Posted by docprego
I told them not to. It's coming from Bowling Green by rail.

What's your position on this?
You have a pristine paint job . . . why have anyone PDI scratches into your finish. If you really care you can install them yourself later. They will NOT exercise the care you will with things such as the cleanliness of the drying towel and wash mits . . . that's where scratches and swwirl marks come from Alice.

The car has been covered since it was built; so I'm not convinced that you need to ironx it. your choice.

I'll pick up mine on Monday and take it home and apply a sealer and go on from there.

Enjoy loving on it, be tender and be happy!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:55 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

There is no rail dust on a new Corvette. Corvettes come wrapped in a white protective plastic skin. After they peel it off, it is nearly factory frsch. They won't have to do more than just rinse it if that.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Two different conversations going on at this point.

I would never take delivery of a car, and then take it home and wash off the "stuff". If you do, you have no recourse if there is some damage. Take delivery of a pristine, clean car.

After that point, I never let anyone else wash the car. Not the dealer, not the oil change place, not even Mr.owc6 (not that he has EVER offered).
Old 08-01-2015, 11:49 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Two different conversations going on at this point.

I would never take delivery of a car, and then take it home and wash off the "stuff". If you do, you have no recourse if there is some damage. Take delivery of a pristine, clean car.

After that point, I never let anyone else wash the car. Not the dealer, not the oil change place, not even Mr.owc6 (not that he has EVER offered).
And this is the ONLY reason I even posted this thread. I don't want to let them wash it. BUT the courtesy delivery manager told me exactly what you said, if they don't wash it I have no recourse. I could inspect it carefully while there they said, but can't come back after the fact with any claims.

So it comes down to this:

Is the rail dust a real issue? If it's not, I'm less worried about them washing it. It would be the only time I ever let anyone else wash it. That said the thought of their crew doing it makes me very nervous.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 AM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

When I order my vettes, I ask the dealer to do nothing to the car except their required PDI. Absolutely no washing....

For the courtesy delivery of my '15, my dealer was great. He took off the wrapping, did the PDI and walked around the car with me as I checked for scratches, gouges, etc. And told me when I got it home and cleaned it up, if I found anything let him know. And as with all my other deliveries, no problems...

Do what you feel is best for you Doc.....there's no right or wrong answer.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:21 AM
RedZ
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I told my courtesy dealer not to wash my 2014. But, when I got there, they were washing it. I wasn't upset and they did a fine job. In fact they did a much better job than I did on my 2001 z06 that the dealer did not wash, and I took home and promptly scratched it during its first wash. After a minute of silence, there was relief, I no longer needed to worry about keeping it perfect.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:12 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by SMFCPACFP
I am with you. Some Corvette owner's are obviously **** retentive. We aren't talking about brain surgery here. I certainly would let him. I guess it depends upon how bizzare you are. I assume the guys above you don't drive their cars outside for fear a bird might sh$$t on the car or a stray particulate from something might land on it.
Only takes 1 idiot to screw up the paint job.

Corvette owners that won't let anyone else wash their car (like me and hundreds of thousands of others) really don't give a crap what anyone else thinks.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 08-02-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 AM
oldfoggy
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
There is no rail dust on a new Corvette. Corvettes come wrapped in a white protective plastic skin. After they peel it off, it is nearly factory frsch. They won't have to do more than just rinse it if that.

then take it home and seal it with something you believe in
Old 08-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 905 Likes on 472 Posts
Tech Contributor

There certainly is rail dust on a corvette and it does not come off with wash. The cover that the c7’s are getting has been talked about here time and time again, about being loose fitting ,certainly is not waterproof or dustproof. Some of them are coming off with parts of them flapping off… Use the iron x.... any car that has been on rail has microscopic bits of iron that needs to come off. If you don't want to use iron x, at least clay/nanoskin the car.

Iron x on a brand new Porsche - if it's purple, it's showing the iron (goes on clear)

Last edited by Glen e; 08-02-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

As many have stated; the most expensive car I have purchased to date. When I pay 60/70+ thousand dollars for a car, darn if I am going to wash it taking delivery (I paid for a new car in prestige condition, that is what I expect). Will not purchase from a dealer who I can't trust performing the simple task of washing a car.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Should I let my courtesy delivery dealer wash my new C7?

She and that's where you and I will always differ. Washing a car is not a "simple task" at least properly
Old 08-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Should I let my courtesy delivery dealer wash my new C7?

See*
Old 08-02-2015, 09:45 AM
CorvetteCowboy
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

At the risk of making a lot of corvette owners mad a lot of you are crazy. let the dealer prep your car than drive and enjoy it. It is a car made to be driven, not washed waxed and put away waiting for a sunny 75 degree day between noon and 4pm. my 15 C7 is the 4 vette i have owned and all were used frequently and enjoyed as much as possible.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 905 Likes on 472 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by CorvetteCowboy
At the risk of making a lot of corvette owners mad a lot of you are crazy. let the dealer prep your car than drive and enjoy it. It is a car made to be driven, not washed waxed and put away waiting for a sunny 75 degree day between noon and 4pm. my 15 C7 is the 4 vette i have owned and all were used frequently and enjoyed as much as possible.

So why do we awaysl go to extremes here???, why can'tt you have both?My car is always clean AND I DRIVE IT, Does 14000 miles the first year qualify me to get into the " real he man owners club"?
Old 08-02-2015, 10:18 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteCowboy
See Post #47. Since those of us that won't let some stranger touch our car with a sponge and a cloth don't care what others think, then there is no chance comments like yours will make any of us mad. At best your comment was met with
Old 08-02-2015, 10:50 AM
mtraylor2001
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

To Each Their Own. The decision is left up to the buyer. There is an obvious line in the sand here. There is a huge difference in a detailed car and a washed car.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Some?

It's a friggen Chevy with a mass production FINGER paint job.
fixed lol...

But if I had the choice...no. I'd rather be the first one but don't think I even actually have been.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I let my courtesy delivery dealer wash my new C7?

Old 08-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Glen e
So why do we awaysl go to extremes here???, why can'tt you have both?My car is always clean AND I DRIVE IT, Does 14000 miles the first year qualify me to get into the " real he man owners club"?
It's how forums work Glen.

My C7 was in dealer stock so I had no choice. They had not only washed it but detailed it before I bought it. There's not a scratch or swirl mark on it.

Mine is also a driver with 6,000 miles now.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Can Vette
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

My wife found one scratch when we inspected the car.
They were still scraping me off the sky from seeing "my" Vette for the very first time. So I missed it.

Dealer said "no problem" , we will fix it.

Turns out, it was a fine thread or something on the paint... and not a scratch. Got wiped off and never seen again.

Moral of the story... it takes 2 to inspect... and the purpose of the inspection is for the dealer to know and fix any visible defects.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:45 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Docprego:

No, I would not let anyone other than yourself wash the car.

See this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...f-sealant.html

Posts #19 & #22 for some awesome results in detailing your own C7.

The Torch Red C7 in the images was done after receiving the C7 and with only 50 miles on the car.

This should help hopefully. PM me if you have any questions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I let my courtesy delivery dealer wash my new C7?