Auxiliary Power Outlet Survey - SURVEY CLOSED

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Default Auxiliary Power Outlet Survey - SURVEY CLOSED

Hey everyone,

Our Design Quality Human Factors team is looking for your feedback! They have put together a very short (2 question) online survey regarding the Auxiliary Power Outlets in your vehicles. Your input would be greatly appreciated, as it gives us a good indication of what our customer's exact wants and needs are in their vehicles for future designs. You can access the survey by clicking the link below and it will be open for one week, 8/19 until 8/26. We hope everyone will be able to take a couple minutes one day to give us your thoughts. We will be monitoring this thread throughout the week, so please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thank you!

Samantha N
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited by Chevy Cust Svc; 08-26-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Lawnmower7200
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still use these things, and it's not a matter of "new technology", it's a matter of a huge assortment of tools and accessories that use this power connector. It annoys me no end that you made the front outlet in the Corvette switched, and the one all the way in the back is alive full time. They all should be energized full time.

BTW, where would you suggest plugging in the battery tender if you went all-USB? They're only 5V so that option is unavailable.

As far as your survey goes, the second and third questions say essentially the same thing. I doubt that you're going to get good data on that one.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:47 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

It's a necessity for those of us with radar detectors that sit on the dash because of the need to wear bifocal glasses. If I place my detector above, where the mirror is, everything is blurry looking through the top of my lenses. Since a huge number of corvette owners are older and may require bifocals, I would think you should forget about eliminating the socket and keep it right where it is....it's not always about the latest tech gadgets....it's about Human Factors Engineering.

Human factors and ergonomics (HF&E), also known as comfort design, functional design, and user-friendly systems,[1] is the practice of designing products, systems or processes to take proper account of the interaction between them and the people who use them.

The field has seen contributions from numerous disciplines, such as psychology, engineering, biomechanics, industrial design, physiology and anthropometry. In essence, it is the study of designing equipment and devices that fit the human body and its cognitive abilities. The two terms "human factors" and "ergonomics" are essentially synonymous.
[2

And, keep it 'switched' so the whole radar thing is passive!!!
Old 08-19-2015, 03:57 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

The reason I still use these is that I can get USB chargers that output far more current than the anemic built-in USB ports. If GM wants to get rid of the lighter sockets, they better make every USB port output at least 2 amps.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:00 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawnmower7200
As far as your survey goes, the second and third questions say essentially the same thing. I doubt that you're going to get good data on that one.
Yes, poorly designed survey. There's a reason companies hire professional polling companies to get good survey data. It's a science. There weren't enough choices, and no place to put in comments or choose "other."
Old 08-19-2015, 04:23 PM
ckosiek
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would prefer at least one switched power outlet up front, I think I (and the majority of owners) are intelligent enough not to drain the battery.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

To my surprise, the new SD card slot in the center console works / integrates quite well. Of course, now for the 2016 MY I understand someone at GM decided to do away with it. Not the best decision, IMHO.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:48 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Ok, so I'm old school...It's a cigarette lighter, not a power outlet.

(One of) my electronic nicotine delivery devices still uses the lighter outlet to charge.

I noticed the 16's have a "smokers package" option, so I presume that gives you the actual lighter piece to fit in that hole...and if it is available as an option, that implies there is (more than just a little) demand for such a port.

To me, the "useless" power outlet is the one all the way in the back.
Whats the point of that one?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:51 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

For those of us that use radar detectors, or dash cams, we need a switched power outlet close to the mirror to plug into.

No one wants to see cords hanging down from the mirror area where these devices are adhered to the windshield down to a power outlet.

A hanging down cord, prevents the car owner from easily installing a sunshade when parked.

Lets work on this issue to eliminate a hanging power cord from the mirror area down to a 12v outlet for plug in.

Richard in New Mexico
Old 08-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by aj98
Ok, so I'm old school...It's a cigarette lighter, not a power outlet.

(One of) my electronic nicotine delivery devices still uses the lighter outlet to charge.

I noticed the 16's have a "smokers package" option, so I presume that gives you the actual lighter piece to fit in that hole...and if it is available as an option, that implies there is (more than just a little) demand for such a port.

To me, the "useless" power outlet is the one all the way in the back.
Whats the point of that one?
If you are talking about the power outet in the rear of the cargo area it is for the battery charger, not useless at all.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:19 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
If you are talking about the power outet in the rear of the cargo area it is for the battery charger, not useless at all.
For me, way more useful than the one up front. I plug in the trickle charger every time the car might sit for more than ten days or so.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
For those of us that use radar detectors, or dash cams, we need a switched power outlet close to the mirror to plug into.

No one wants to see cords hanging down from the mirror area where these devices are adhered to the windshield down to a power outlet.

A hanging down cord, prevents the car owner from easily installing a sunshade when parked.

Lets work on this issue to eliminate a hanging power cord from the mirror area down to a 12v outlet for plug in.

Richard in New Mexico
Old 08-19-2015, 08:04 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Richard in New Mexico
Old 08-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by meyerweb
The reason I still use these is that I can get USB chargers that output far more current than the anemic built-in USB ports. If GM wants to get rid of the lighter sockets, they better make every USB port output at least 2 amps.
I don't get why car manufacturers do this. It's not just Chevy. Put an adequately powered USB outlet that can function like it's supposed to.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

No, I don't want GM to get rid of it. Nor, do I want it moved. I like it right where it is.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:54 PM
Lawnmower7200
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
IMO, it's ridiculous to have to poke around in the back of the car to connect the trickle charger which *should* be connected from the driver's seat before getting out of the car. Not to mention that there's no good way to exit the charger wire from the hatch without dragging it over the fender. In the front, it can exit at the door sill.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:03 PM
apex97
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

My Jeep has an AC power outlet and I find that it is the most useful power port in the car. The USB ports do not provide enough power to keep a cell phone charged during use let alone charge it an an acceptable rate.

I need the cigarette lighter for the Radar detector in the Corvette, but I'd also use it for an aftermarket NAV in a vehicle without NAV.

Get notified of new replies

To Auxiliary Power Outlet Survey - SURVEY CLOSED

Old 08-19-2015, 10:05 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawnmower7200
IMO, it's ridiculous to have to poke around in the back of the car to connect the trickle charger which *should* be connected from the driver's seat before getting out of the car. Not to mention that there's no good way to exit the charger wire from the hatch without dragging it over the fender. In the front, it can exit at the door sill.
GM engineers need to place a waterproof charging receptacle near the lower portion of the rear fascia, so vehicle owners don't thav to continuously open and close the rear hatch to plug this in.

It's a receptacle that would cost under $2.00 if bought in massive quantities, which GM does anyway, and it would be sourced from a 3rd party somewhere from China or Mexico.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:44 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

glad to see agreement on radar detector power source.....I hope to hell the appropriate GM engineers see this topic....I probably just jinxed it, but *&(^%(^%(%
Old 08-20-2015, 01:51 AM
CaptV1VR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Richard in New Mexico
Blend mount W/ mirror tap power cord works great, and is clean set up!
No cord dangling in your vision

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Power Outlet Survey - SURVEY CLOSED