Sponsored by:

Possible nail in my tire...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:00 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Possible nail in my tire...

I was washing my car today and noticed something in my rear passenger tire. It looks like a nail but I couldn't really tell if it was or if it was a rock that was just embedded deep.

I called the dealership and they said that if it is a nail, the tire has to be replaced. Is that right? I know that they are run flat tires. But, it can't be patched?

I've been keeping an eye on my tire pressure and nothing has changed. Is it still safe to drive?
Old 08-22-2015, 12:27 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Dealer is wrong - tire can be repaired as long as it isn't a sidewall issue, cut, etc. that would render any tire unusable.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:29 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
I was washing my car today and noticed something in my rear passenger tire. It looks like a nail but I couldn't really tell if it was or if it was a rock that was just embedded deep. I called the dealership and they said that if it is a nail, the tire has to be replaced. Is that right? I know that they are run flat tires. But, it can't be patched? I've been keeping an eye on my tire pressure and nothing has changed. Is it still safe to drive?
This topic has been beaten to death. The tire can be patched one time as long as the puncture is not too close to the sidewall. I had a screw in mine and Costco did the repair for free. 1500 miles later still holds air.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:40 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Here is a picture of where the nail is:

I called Discount Tire and they said they'd do it for free. Is it something they need to pull the tire off the rim?
Old 08-22-2015, 12:43 PM
2016SGZ51
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Yours looks like a nail to me...

I just got a 4 inch nail in my truck tire the other day...
aaarrgh!!!

I always carry an electric air pump with me, so was able to repair it at a gas station using those black, sticky strings...

Then drove it over to Discount Tire the next day for a free repair.
Those guys are so quick, I didn't even get to finish browsing Car and Driver in their waiting room before they had it done!!!

Yes, they remove the tire from the rim and patch it internally..

In the future if it's questionable...you could put a magnet to it and see if it sticks...(unless it's an aluminum nail...)

Then pry it out with a screwdriver and pliers...

You may want to drive over to the tire repair shop BEFORE you do this...

Last edited by 2016SGZ51; 08-22-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:09 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Here is a picture of where the nail is: I called Discount Tire and they said they'd do it for free. Is it something they need to pull the tire off the rim?
That is going to be questionable being that close to the sidewall. You probably should let them take a look first.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

<p>That is too close to the sidewall to be considered safe to repair. If someplace agrees to fix it, the proper repair is a combination plug/patch. Yes, the tire has to be removed from the rim for a proper repair.</p><p>However, there is a chance that the nail (or whatever) is just a shallow item stuck in the outside of the tire with no penetration.</p>
Old 08-22-2015, 01:49 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Just got back from Discount Tire. They ended up pulling it out. It wasn't long enough to penetrate. I've been keeping an eye on the tire pressure and it is all good.

Just for my own peace of mind, I ended up spending some money and getting their coverage on all the tires. We plan to do some road trips and who knows when it may come in handy.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:58 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Just got back from Discount Tire. They ended up pulling it out. It wasn't long enough to penetrate. I've been keeping an eye on the tire pressure and it is all good.

Just for my own peace of mind, I ended up spending some money and getting their coverage on all the tires. We plan to do some road trips and who knows when it may come in handy.
You're lucky, as Zymurgy stated if too close to the outer edge, some shops won't repair it! The only shop I trust to remove and repair low profile run flats, the local Firestone dealer, can not by company rules repair a nail hole that close to the edge. In fact their company rules say in the outer tread blocks. They have a tire machine that doesn't touch the tire when it removes and mounts the tire. Even the Chevy, BMW, Mercedes dealer uses them to fix run flats! If the nail were in the center treads no problem they will probably use a plug/ patch- best of both! They are good folks, the manager told me when I had a nail about mid way in the outer tread in my C6 to see if I could find someone in town who would patch it. Look around and no one had a touch-less tire machine and I didn't want a scratched rim!
When in the outer tread area it gets close to the side wall construction. However your's was far enough if a good tire shop said they would repair and you're not going to go 100 mph etc, perhaps worth the risk on a new tire, your call. Good idea to buy insurance!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-22-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:08 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

This is what was in it:

Old 08-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

<p>That looks huge since there is nothing in the photo to indicate its size. How long is that screw? (include a ruler when taking a photo like this... like CSIs do.) LOL</p>
Old 08-22-2015, 03:20 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
That looks huge since there is nothing in the photo to indicate its size. How long is that screw? (include a ruler when taking a photo like this... like CSIs do.) LOL
It wasn't huge. Looks like a wood screw. It wasn't even 1/2in long and it looks like it went in on an angle.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:30 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what was in it:
Had a similar situation recently with my car. Screw right in the center of the tread. Unlike yours, mine was leaking air and the TPMS alerted me to the problem. Took the car to Discount Tires and they patched the leak for free. They put their best guy on it to make sure the black painted rim didn't get damaged. He worked his a$$ off dismounting the stiff run flat tire from the rim, but there's not a scratch on it! I offered to pay for the service but the manager refused (how do they do that?!?!), so I gave the guy who did the work a nice tip. Very happy I didn't have to buy a new tire!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/C7-Co...75843822645030
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2015, 09:40 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I'm going to throw my two cents worth in here, since I probably have more experience with Run Flats and nails/screws than most here.

A RF is just as reparable as a non-RF. If the puncture is in the tread area, and of the same size hole, it can be plug/patched safely. You will lose your speed rating, just the same as a non RF. How close to the sidewall (which starts before the tread ends, BTW) a shop is willing to repair is up to the shop.

But, just because it's a RF, don't let them tell you any hole requires a tire replacement. I have driven over 65,000 miles (after properly repaired) on a tire that had a puncture in almost the same place as the OP.

I've never had a proper repair go south.

Just the most recent, which has ~15,000 miles after the repair, and still going strong.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:18 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys! I have no problem needing to change the tire if I really needed to. I guess I was a little irk'd when I told the service guy about my situation, and about how I'm not loosing tire pressure, and he said without a doubt that I needed to change the tire without even looking at it first. I would've been out $500+ for something that could've been fixed for free.

I contacted my salesperson and he even said to try getting it patched/plugged first since its free and it couldn't hurt anything.

I guess I'll just be dealing with Discount Tire from now on for my tire needs.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:57 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Thanks for the info guys! I have no problem needing to change the tire if I really needed to. I guess I was a little irk'd when I told the service guy about my situation, and about how I'm not loosing tire pressure, and he said without a doubt that I needed to change the tire without even looking at it first. I would've been out $500+ for something that could've been fixed for free. I contacted my salesperson and he even said to try getting it patched/plugged first since its free and it couldn't hurt anything. I guess I'll just be dealing with Discount Tire from now on for my tire needs.
Never use a dealer for tires or tire issues. Go to a tire place.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:59 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Excellent advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible nail in my tire...

Old 08-22-2015, 11:00 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE

I don't know why I've always had an unwarranted bad impression of tire places like Discount Tire. But, after reading reviews on here, sounds like many people have had really good experiences with them.

Can't beat a warranty for tires that I didn't even purchase from them for less than the cost of 1 tire! Hopefully I'll never have to use it but it makes me feel better taking trips knowing I'm covered.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

I don't know why I've always had an unwarranted bad impression of tire places like Discount Tire. But, after reading reviews on here, sounds like many people have had really good experiences with them.

Can't beat a warranty for tires that I didn't even purchase from them for less than the cost of 1 tire! Hopefully I'll never have to use it but it makes me feel better taking trips knowing I'm covered.
Road hazard warranties should cost ~10% of the cost of the tire.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:06 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by owc6
Road hazard warranties should cost ~10% of the cost of the tire.
Yeah, the warranty $290 for all four.

Quick Reply: Possible nail in my tire...