Sponsored by:

OnStar----Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Bucco Bar
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

Default OnStar----Cancelled

I am a GM guy. I have had Onstar on all of my vehicles since it first came out. I just a monthly Onstar report on my 2015 Corvette. Everything got a check,meaning that the car was OK. Well,not so.
I keep getting these service rear axle messages and there was no mention of this in the report. I called Onstar to ask why and was told that the monthly report covers select areas of car performance.
What good is a monthly diagnostic if it does not report an issue?
Anyway,I canceled Onstar for our 3 vehicles--I will never get it again.
It is a waste and ripoff as far as I'm concerned.

Norm
Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucco Bar
I am a GM guy. I have had Onstar on all of my vehicles since it first came out. I just a monthly Onstar report on my 2015 Corvette. Everything got a check,meaning that the car was OK. Well,not so.
I keep getting these service rear axle messages and there was no mention of this in the report. I called Onstar to ask why and was told that the monthly report covers select areas of car performance.
Anyway,I canceled Onstar for our 3 vehicles--I will never get it again.
It is a waste and ripoff as far as I'm concerned.

Norm
Just did the same thing on two '14 model GM products....what a rip!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:31 PM
sailgunner
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree it cost too much but it worked well for me when I had a message to check something. Hit the OnStar, they did a check, said I needed to take it in within one day, they called my dealer and gave them the details. I was transferred to the dealer: this was at 10:00 am and had an appoiintment by 1:00 pm. As it turned out the dealer just reset the computer and all was well.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:38 PM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sailgunner
I agree it cost too much but it worked well for me when I had a message to check something. Hit the OnStar, they did a check, said I needed to take it in within one day, they called my dealer and gave them the details. I was transferred to the dealer: this was at 10:00 am and had an appoiintment by 1:00 pm. As it turned out the dealer just reset the computer and all was well.
Seems to me like you could have saved a step in the process and also a good amount of money if instead of hitting the OnStar button you just called the dealer when you saw the message. They would have set up the appointment and you would have been all set.

-Mark
Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM
James Bertuca
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Never turn mine on.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:50 PM
jamze132
Advanced

When whatever subscription came with the car expired, I didn't bother to extend it. It's expensive and useless.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I did not have the patience to even try and understand what OnStar does and doesn't do. Way too much for my old brain-I have insurance, a navi, a cell phone and a security system and that is good enough for me.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:03 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

onstar is near useless, and definitely not worth the money.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:15 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I did not have the patience to even try and understand what OnStar does and doesn't do. Way too much for my old brain-I have insurance, a navi, a cell phone and a security system and that is good enough for me.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:54 PM
sailgunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nh_mark
Seems to me like you could have saved a step in the process and also a good amount of money if instead of hitting the OnStar button you just called the dealer when you saw the message. They would have set up the appointment and you would have been all set.

-Mark
Yes but, it was A. Nice to have the dealer already know the code provide it to the dealer and B. I had an appointment in 3 hours. Maybe the dealer would have done that anyway but doubtful.

Everyone here is knocking the OnStar and I already agreed it is too expensive. But I have to say calling them while driving down the road and having them download directions is very nice. Further, I have found that the NAV system is not always able to find the address I am looking for but OnStar does it just fine. I figure if I paid $60 grand for a car I could afford a few hundred a year for some convienence.

OK, now let the OnStar bashing continue.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:23 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I bought into it on the first GM vehicle I had with onstar, after I got rid of that vehicle I never bought it again.

Some may have a use for it I don't.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:40 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by James Bertuca
Never turn mine on.
but my wife has it on her Yuon XL
Old 08-25-2015, 02:16 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I purchased my first vehicle with it in 2003. I didn't keep it after the free subscription ran out. Then two years later a co-worker was driving on a rural road with his son in the passenger seat in a new GMC pickup. A guy in a Buick drifted across the center line and hit them head on. The truck and car were both going about 50 mph when they hit. The driver of the truck was dazed and fumbling around in the cab when he suddenly heard a voice asking him if he was OK to which he said NO. Then the voice said the police and EMTs had been notified and were on their way. They were in a large hand held cell phone No Service area but OnStar got through on the cell network. The closest house was a quarter mile away. Ever since then I have had OnStar active on my 2003 (still have it almost 13 years later) and I have it on all of my other vehicles. $160/year plus tax for the base service.

Bill
Old 08-25-2015, 02:29 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucco Bar

Everything got a check,meaning that the car was OK. Well,not so.

Norm
Geez, never knew that!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:39 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by sanantguy
onstar is near useless, and definitely not worth the money.
^This.^
Old 08-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'm sure OnStar has provided valuable services to quite a few people and to them it was well worth the yearly cost. I've never used the system and have never renewed my subscription after the trial period. It's just a decision each owner has to make but it is rather expensive IMO.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Mark923
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I purchased my first vehicle with it in 2003. I didn't keep it after the free subscription ran out. Then two years later a co-worker was driving on a rural road with his son in the passenger seat in a new GMC pickup. A guy in a Buick drifted across the center line and hit them head on. The truck and car were both going about 50 mph when they hit. The driver of the truck was dazed and fumbling around in the cab when he suddenly heard a voice asking him if he was OK to which he said NO. Then the voice said the police and EMTs had been notified and were on their way. They were in a large hand held cell phone No Service area but OnStar got through on the cell network. The closest house was a quarter mile away. Ever since then I have had OnStar active on my 2003 (still have it almost 13 years later) and I have it on all of my other vehicles. $160/year plus tax for the base service.

Bill
Would not buy it either if all I was interested in was a monthly report.

But Bill's point about emergency, or life saving action, is exactly why it's been in my GM vehicles for over 10 years. And there are countless examples where the OnStar action resulted in life saving.

E
Old 08-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by sailgunner
Yes but, it was A. Nice to have the dealer already know the code provide it to the dealer and B. I had an appointment in 3 hours. Maybe the dealer would have done that anyway but doubtful.

Everyone here is knocking the OnStar and I already agreed it is too expensive. But I have to say calling them while driving down the road and having them download directions is very nice. Further, I have found that the NAV system is not always able to find the address I am looking for but OnStar does it just fine. I figure if I paid $60 grand for a car I could afford a few hundred a year for some convienence.

OK, now let the OnStar bashing continue.

The navigation system uses a computer to retrieve addresses. I discovered that some addresses are listed differently on a restaurants web site (town or municipality) than actually logged within the navigation system. Doesn't happen often.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar----Cancelled

Quick Reply: OnStar----Cancelled