Memory madness

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

<p>
Originally Posted by Two Toes
Zymurgy</p><p>You have missed the point of having a memory function. Why would I turn it off? My C6, C5, and C4 all had a memory function, but not automatic as in the C7. GM needs a fix. It is obvious this is a problem!
</p><p>No, I didn't miss the point at all, but perhaps you did.</p><p>I'm just pointing out that if it starts to move to your wife's position when you are in the driver's seat, you can cancel the movement by pressing any of the buttons mentioned. Beats getting squished into the steering wheel. I didn't say anything about turning it off.</p><p>You can also control how &quot;automatic&quot; the memory functions are via the Settings.</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Old 08-27-2015, 03:15 PM
gsgold
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Memory Issues

Well I hooked-up with "That Cute Ginger"; did as she instructed. It worked yesterday. Today I put my wife's purse (with her FOB) on the passengers seat. I then got in the drivers seat and started the car---$^*(&^^%%$#@$&* DID NOT WORK!!!!!!. Into the steering wheel I went. Ginger or GM have let me down again.

gsgold, what is the DIC procedure you used to determine FOB numbers? What year is your ZO6?
Hi....My Zo6 is a 2016....had it for 8 weeks. This will be my 5th new Vette. The first three always had a 1 or 2 on the fob. Our 2012 Grand Sport did not.
Switch Fob's with your wife and program the driver seat following the instructions in your owners manual. The car must be running. After you program it your DIC will send you a message saying that it has paired and what fob number it paired with.
Again.....Fob 1 must be used with memory 1.
Fob 2 with memory 2.
By the way....before I figured this out I tried the Ginger video and it did not work.
Let me know how you made out.
GSGOLD
Old 08-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Well I hooked-up with "That Cute Ginger"; did as she instructed. It worked yesterday. Today I put my wife's purse (with her FOB) on the passengers seat. I then got in the drivers seat and started the car---$^*(&^^%%$#@$&* DID NOT WORK!!!!!!. Into the steering wheel I went. Ginger or GM have let me down again.

gsgold, what is the DIC procedure you used to determine FOB numbers? What year is your ZO6?
Got an idea for you. If you have everything working as you want it to work, with your FOB (and ONLY your FOB) in the car, why don't you try keeping your wife's purse (her FOB) completely out of the car, or at least make sure your FOB goes into the car first.

If her FOB goes into the car first, it seems to me you are just asking for the memory seat function to not work as you wish.

Note, I am not suggesting that this i a perfect situation. OTOH, how important is it that your wife carry the other FOB in her purse when she is going somewhere with you? Just a thought.

Hope it all works out for you.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:35 PM
jamze132
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
It works perfectly using gingers advice. The key seems to be the auto recal and exit options in the vehicle settings have to be off when you set the door buttons… Then turn them back on
Yep!

I had a similar problem as the OP and after watching the ginger, I'm a changed man!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jamze132
Yep!

I had a similar problem as the OP and after watching the ginger, I'm a changed man!
Exactly! You and Glen have it exactly right! As does Ginger.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:28 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I've given up on it as a bad design by GM. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Never had a problem like this with other cars.

Tried the Ginger fix and it worked once, then didn't work three or four times in a row. And while I can appreciate the effort needed to make the Ginger video, I've never had to go outside an owners manual to get a simple and common (by todays standards) function to work. Mine only seems to work properly if I don't drive the car for a week or so (I travel for work a lot and don't get much time to drive it) then it will work fine the first time, maybe the second time during the weekend of cruising around then after that it will not work consistently. Once it stops working properly if I continue to hold button one down it moves everything to where it should be but if I let off the button everything stops moving. Hold the button back down and it will finish moving.

The second fob is not the issue. I know which fob is which without a number on it because the dealer stock tag is still on the fob I don't use. The second fob has never been in the car after the day I drove the car home. I only tested it to make sure it worked then put in in a drawer at home.

I've even tried being super **** and writing down the steps in various sequences of getting in and out of the car, setting the emergency brake, unlocking doors, etc. Only thing close to a pattern is that it will work a couple of times after it sits for a few days. Then it randomly may or may not work. Just when I think I have the sequence right t doesn't work. I've just accepted it but it still annoys me,

Other than that, it's a great car. I guess I should be happy. At least I don't have the roof creaking issue.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:39 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jwt1603
I've given up on it as a bad design by GM. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Never had a problem like this with other cars.

Other than that, it's a great car. I guess I should be happy. At least I don't have the roof creaking issue.
Try this....it's painless and will only take a couple of minutes of your time and it is reversible;

1. Move your seat all the way forward before getting into the car.
2. Lift up the carpet covering the rear bulkhead (directly behind your seat).
3. Note the long limit switch mounted on the bulkhead, centered behind the seat.
4. Find the wire close to the top of the switch and unplug it. Replace carpet.
5. Now try programing your seat as per your manual.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Two Toes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Attended a "Girls gone Wild" drive this weekend. The wife drove; all memory functions worked fine for her after each start. At the end of the day I drove home. DID NOT WORK FOR ME.

Its great to have all your inputs. Thanks, but obviously its not working.

Did not disconnect the limit switch, because GM didn't intend it to be disconnected.

The DIC did not reflect the number of the FOB being programed.

I KNOW THAT THERE ARE GM TECK AND CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS THAT MONITOR THIS FORUM. WHERE ARE YOU? OBVIOUSLY OTHERS HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM. ITS TIME FOR YOU TO STEP IN!!!! PLEASE PM ME!
Old 09-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Two Toes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HERE IS THE ANSWER:
Zymurgy and Joe Stingray are correct in their analyses. I spoke with the head Corvette mechanic at my local Chevy dealer. He said "there are multiple fob sensing locations in the car; it reads or senses the first fob entering the car. The two options I have are (1) get in first with my fob or (2) once my wife is in the passenger seat, get in and start the car. Press button #2 so it will adjust to my settings". I guess GM did not think this is a problem!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

<p>
<u>HERE IS THE ANSWER:</u></p><p>Zymurgy and Joe Stingray are correct in their analyses. I spoke with the head Corvette mechanic at my local Chevy dealer. He said &quot;there are multiple fob sensing locations in the car; it reads or senses the first fob entering the car. The two options I have are (1) get in first with my fob or (2) once my wife is in the passenger seat, get in and start the car. Press button #2 so it will adjust to my settings&quot;. I guess GM did not think this is a problem!
</p><p>I think you can accomplish the same thing by pushing the unlock button on your fob just before you enter the vehicle (or maybe if you do this before your wife opens her door). Play around some with this idea. I know that pushing the unlock button on the fob solves the same problem&nbsp;on our Cadillac SRX, but I've only tried it by unlocking it just before I get in (after she has gotten in).</p>
Old 09-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Watching the Cute Ginger video when she gets to the auto recall on and off there is a selection for the "ON" - either works with driver door open or ignition on. In my car delivered Jan 2014 I don't have this. My choice is either ON or OFF. No choice other than that. Is my car unique?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 PM
LantanaBill
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drive-C7
Watching the Cute Ginger video when she gets to the auto recall on and off there is a selection for the "ON" - either works with driver door open or ignition on. In my car delivered Jan 2014 I don't have this. My choice is either ON or OFF. No choice other than that. Is my car unique?
Drive-C7, no not unique, just old software. Yours must be a M7. Had my 2014 software updated Tuesday for this problem. New program revised the HMI screen under comfort settings to show selection of either door open or engine on. Same screen now as with the 2014 automatic. Works great.

Do a forum search for memory seats. There is a thread that lists the Doc # and TSB to discuss with your dealer. They also have a fix for dimming center gauge cluster illumination at dusk.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 AM
pastorbrad
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Alright that video is very helpful, I think I understand now how to make this thing work properly.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:35 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

Zymurgy
Yes, she is always with me when I drive the car. Her fob is in her purse.
I'm the only driver for my 15 and both fobs are set the same so I dont have any issues. But I'm thinking if the vehicle detects two fobs it will default to one (#1).
Old 09-04-2015, 02:43 PM
pastorbrad
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Hey Ginger didn't cover the mirrors but when I activated the right side mirror down-on-reverse the left mirror goes to the sky! Is there a software repair here or did I miss something? 2014 btw
Old 09-04-2015, 03:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
<p></p><p>I think you can accomplish the same thing by pushing the unlock button on your fob just before you enter the vehicle (or maybe if you do this before your wife opens her door). Play around some with this idea. I know that pushing the unlock button on the fob solves the same problem&nbsp;on our Cadillac SRX, but I've only tried it by unlocking it just before I get in (after she has gotten in).</p>
I still have never heard an explanation of why the C7 seat memory is not exactly the same as what worked for the C6, i.e. get in, hit the desired memory button once and it goes to where it was set! The, "your car must be started" with an M7; having the seat "Go to your FOB programmed location when you open the door" (apparently they eliminated that somewhat irrational option with the 2016) appears to me to have made a simple approach that worked frustratingly complex!
Old 09-04-2015, 05:07 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

HERE IS THE ANSWER:
Zymurgy and Joe Stingray are correct in their analyses. I spoke with the head Corvette mechanic at my local Chevy dealer. He said "there are multiple fob sensing locations in the car; it reads or senses the first fob entering the car. The two options I have are (1) get in first with my fob or (2) once my wife is in the passenger seat, get in and start the car. Press button #2 so it will adjust to my settings". I guess GM did not think this is a problem!
I have occasionally had the exact experience you have -- my wife is 5' and 100 and I have to scramble to avoid being crushed. But only occasionally.

You do not have to get in the car first, you just have to make sure your fob is the first one detected. If you open the door for your wife, for instance, your fob will be detected first. Or if you open the hatch before she gets to the passenger door your fob will be detected first.

The car has antennas located at the hatch and just behind the doors. You just have to get within a couple feet of one of them before your wife does.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
I have occasionally had the exact experience you have -- my wife is 5' and 100 and I have to scramble to avoid being crushed. But only occasionally.

You do not have to get in the car first, you just have to make sure your fob is the first one detected. If you open the door for your wife, for instance, your fob will be detected first. Or if you open the hatch before she gets to the passenger door your fob will be detected first.

The car has antennas located at the hatch and just behind the doors. You just have to get within a couple feet of one of them before your wife does.
Interesting options;1) be a gentleman and open her door or 2)run ahead for the last 20 steps and hug the rear!

Quick Reply: Memory madness