Trade in-Tax Question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Trade in-Tax Question!

Hello,

The state I live in allows for a tax credit of the trade in.

So instead of paying taxes on the $60k Corvette as a whole, I would only have to pay taxes on $40k assuming a $20k trade in value of my last car.

This is all fine and dandy, however, as many of us do, this car is going to be ordered by an out-of-state dealer and courtesy delivered. Does anyone know if I can trade in a car to the courtesy dealer and get the tax credit?

Anyone with any similar experience?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2015, 01:46 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Not in Texas, it may in other states
Old 08-27-2015, 01:51 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Your purchase is from the selling dealer, not the delivering dealer. If you worked something out with the delivering dealer, you'd be selling your car to them, not trading it in. The tax break would not apply.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Your purchase is from the selling dealer, not the delivering dealer. If you worked something out with the delivering dealer, you'd be selling your car to them, not trading it in. The tax break would not apply.

Ah.

Well that really puts the aim on a private sale then...
Old 08-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuclearranger
Ah.

Well that really puts the aim on a private sale then...
I'd check with your selling dealer just to be certain how it works in your state, as the selling dealer should be taking care of all the tax and paperwork for you. I purchased mine from Kerbeck's (great to deal with BTW) and had it shipped to me in the west. They estimated taxes and I just sent them the $. I didn't do a trade with them, but your dealer will be able to answer the question - or get the answer for you. Good luck and enjoy!!
Old 08-27-2015, 02:45 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Contact your states DMV, as the car will be registered in your state, not in the selling dealers state and see if the tax credit applies to your specific state.

Your best bet is go directly to the source that has the correct answers, and that is your own states DMV.

Why speculate when the info you get may not be accurate, as you have not even provided what state you reside in.

You will probably get so many answers to your question that does not apply. Until you reveal the state of residency it's anybody's guess.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:42 PM
GS1960
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Contact your states DMV, as the car will be registered in your state, not in the selling dealers state and see if the tax credit applies to your specific state.

Your best bet is go directly to the source that has the correct answers, and that is your own states DMV.

Why speculate when the info you get may not be accurate, as you have not even provided what state you reside in.

You will probably get so many answers to your question that does not apply. Until you reveal the state of residency it's anybody's guess.
Generally DMV will collect the taxes for whatever agency is responsible for sales tax. Contact that agency for the correct answer, then call them back and speak to someone else. If the answers are the same then you are probably ok. If not, send them a letter asking for a written response. With the agency I work for, that becomes written advice and is binding.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:40 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

The only way is trading your vehicle with the dealer you are buying car from. If your trade is not in the deal you cant get the tax credit difference.

I know, I just sold mines to get a 2016 and I have to pay the tax on the sales price.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:47 PM
John Cullen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Delaware and sold my Z .I got a C7 from chicago dealer and Delaware gave me the credit.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:50 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Contact your states DMV,

Best answer. Asking for tax advice on a car forum is like asking what car to buy on a forum dedicated to Barney the dinosaur.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

The key is that the vehicle being traded in needs to be traded to the selling dealer, not the delivering dealer (if they're not the same). Even then, the sales tax credit is only given if the buyer lives in a state where tax is paid on the difference and not the new car's selling price.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by [B
mpuzach[/B];1590363451]The key is that the vehicle being traded in needs to be traded to the selling dealer, not the delivering dealer (if they're not the same). Even then, the sales tax credit is only given if the buyer lives in a state where tax is paid on the difference and not the new car's selling price.
mpuzach:

In most cases this is 100% correct. Each state has different policies and taxation statues and rules.

The OP Nuclearranger has not provided any information of what state he resides in. So any post by any CF member is a moot point or comment.

As CF member Meyerweb stated above it makes no sense to seek "tax advice" on a public forum such as this.

The OP needs to spend time completing his own due diligence and research to understand the taxation in his particular situation & state and educate himself.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:00 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Check with your DMV. It really varies by state a lot.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:38 PM
gbjerke
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 20 Posts

Am sure that every state's sales tax is based on bottom line price.
i.e., 60k purchase, 20k trade in equals 40k on which you would pay the sales tax.
As to where you pay this tax depends on the state. My last 4 Vettes have all been out of state purchases. My local tax rate is 6.25%. Michigan collected 5% and I paid the additional 1.25% when I returned to Illinois.
Minnesota collected no tax so paid the full boat back here. New Jersey, not sure if they collected anything but never paid more than my 6.25 rate.
Last one was Rhode Island....no tax collected. Paid the full boat here.
With all that being said, it is clear to me that selling your Vette rather than trading it is the best route.
Trading in will get you a lot less $$$ which will more than cover your "tax savings".
Don't forget the sales tax you pay could well help you come income tax filing time...gotta love deductions ya know.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:21 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by gbjerke
Am sure that every state's sales tax is based on bottom line price.
i.e., 60k purchase, 20k trade in equals 40k on which you would pay the sales tax.
Nothing personal, but this is why I suggested asking for tax advice on a car forum is a fool's game. What you are "sure" of is simply wrong. In Virginia you pay tax on the sales price of the car, period. Trade-ins have no impact at all. I wouldn't presume to assume that the other 49 states are all the same.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:53 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Nothing personal, but this is why I suggested asking for tax advice on a car forum is a fool's game. What you are "sure" of is simply wrong. In Virginia you pay tax on the sales price of the car, period. Trade-ins have no impact at all. I wouldn't presume to assume that the other 49 states are all the same.
The above is exactly correct.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:25 AM
RedZ
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my car from MacMulkin in NH where there is no sales tax and had it courtesy delivered to WA where there is sales tax.

The dealer did not collect any sales tax for two reasons. 1) they didn't sell it to me, and 2) Technically speaking I needed to pay a "use tax" not sales tax.

The use tax rate in washington is the same rate as your local sales tax rate at your home address (for me that was 1% less than courtesy dealer).

I found all this info online from official sources (state websites).

So at least in WA, there is no way to get the tax "credit" unless you trade it in with the selling dealer.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Trade in-Tax Question!

Old 08-30-2015, 12:52 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

In Missouri you pay your sales tax on the bottom line price of the car - which includes whatever you get as a trade in for your car. For example, if you get $15K for your trade in and the car was priced at $30K, you would pay taxes on the $15K difference.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 AM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

At least one forum dealer will allow you to pass the trade-in title through them to save the sales tax.

You agree on a price with the buyer. The forum dealer buys your trade-in from you then immediately transfers the title to your buyer for the same price. They charge $500 for this service. Your invoice shows the trade-in so you pay sales tax on the net price. See if your dealers are willing to do this.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:23 PM
gbjerke
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
My bad I guess. Also surprises me.
Dare I suggest that 40+ states tax the difference?

Quick Reply: Trade in-Tax Question!