Sponsored by:

First oil change at 2,000 miles....Base Vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 05:00 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I haven't actually tried it, but there seem to be one or two places that would qualify--like just rearward of the right rear shock, assuming the tube is long enough to reach. As for leakage, you would think the Flotools item previously linked might not if it's a decent product.

OTOH, once constructed your method would be easier. I think it's also better if you plan on changing the fluid yourself in the future. With a 72k-mile maintenance schedule I probably won't and may not do this procedure again, as I just want to add some fluid, likely less than a pint. OTOH making the cap/tube assembly you describe can be done easily with my existing inventory of stuff lying around the garage.
I am probably going to change out the transmission and differential fluid at 25,000 to 30,000 miles. The only part I had to make was drilling the two holes in a bottle cap...well worth the effort.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:10 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I am probably going to change out the transmission and differential fluid at 25,000 to 30,000 miles. The only part I had to make was drilling the two holes in a bottle cap...well worth the effort.
I pulled the fill plug to check my level and was shocked at the amount of metal shavings on the magnetic plug at 4500 miles! I am changing it out this weekend to be safe but had already done the transmission.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:54 PM
James Bertuca
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can use hand pump or thumb pump oil can with a long flex goose neck works great no mess..
Old 09-02-2015, 11:54 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Use the bottle itself for a pump. Drill two holes in the cap, one a tight fit on the delivery hose, the other to cover with your finger.

Run the hose to the bottom of the bottle with other end in the differential. Cover the open hole, squeeze the bottle, uncover the hole, let the bottle relax. Repeat as necessary.

The bottle will fill with air faster than the fluid will come back through the hose. Put both ends of the hose in the cap for storage.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:54 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

So I changed out the diff fluid this morning and you can see the drain plug, a lot of gunk is built up on it after just 4k miles. I 'flushed' the diff by running some clean fluid through it and letting some additional gunk run out, then filled it back up w/ Amsoil synthetic gear lube. I will check it again in a month or two and see how the plug looks. Really glad I did this as the fluid was black and the amount of shavings and goop was concerning. I have never changed out diff fluid in any other vehicle and had it look like this. Maybe I am just paranoid.

After I cleaned the goop and shavings off.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:55 AM
James Bertuca
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeinAZ
So I changed out the diff fluid this morning and you can see the drain plug, a lot of gunk is built up on it after just 4k miles. I 'flushed' the diff by running some clean fluid through it and letting some additional gunk run out, then filled it back up w/ Amsoil synthetic gear lube. I will check it again in a month or two and see how the plug looks. Really glad I did this as the fluid was black and the amount of shavings and goop was concerning. I have never changed out diff fluid in any other vehicle and had it look like this. Maybe I am just paranoid.

After I cleaned the goop and shavings off.
Are you sure it's gunk it could be ( moly 60 ) gear grease.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:36 AM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by James Bertuca
Are you sure it's gunk it could be ( moly 60 ) gear grease.
I honestly do not have enough knowledge to know if that would be the case or not. I will say earlier in the week when I pulled my fill plug to check the level it was all shavings attached to it, no 'gunk'. That is what prompted me to change the fluid out.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:55 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

I've done all but one engine oil change on my '00 Silverado, and I'd say the total amount of gunk I've seen attached to the magnetic drain plug over the years is less than half what's shown on your differential drain plug, to say nothing of the lump next to it. I've never seen any slivers or shavings on the plug or the few filters I've cut open.

I know that's not an apples to apples comparison, but that looks like a LOT. Maybe some of it is coming from the limited slip components, and that amount is normal.

I'd ask the guys in the tech/performance forum. They probably have more experience with what to expect when you drain the differential.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:58 PM
James Bertuca
Instructor

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
I've done all but one engine oil change on my '00 Silverado, and I'd say the total amount of gunk I've seen attached to the magnetic drain plug over the years is less than half what's shown on your differential drain plug, to say nothing of the lump next to it. I've never seen any slivers or shavings on the plug or the few filters I've cut open.

I know that's not an apples to apples comparison, but that looks like a LOT. Maybe some of it is coming from the limited slip components, and that amount is normal.

I'd ask the guys in the tech/performance forum. They probably have more experience with what to expect when you drain the differential.

Funny thing about it, that's the fill plug, not the drain plug, there isn't a magnet on the fill plug that I ever saw only the drain plugs, that why I thought it was moly 60 gear grease.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:42 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

See post 45:
So I changed out the diff fluid this morning and you can see the drain plug...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:29 PM
James Bertuca
Instructor

I honestly do not have enough knowledge to know if that would be the case or not. I will say earlier in the week when I pulled my fill plug to check the level it was all shavings attached to it, no 'gunk'. That is what prompted me to change the fluid out.
Post# 47

I'm confused, this post said fill plug.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:33 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by James Bertuca
Post# 47

I'm confused, this post said fill plug.
Early this week I pulled the fill plug to inspect the fluid level, it was covered in shavings which had adhered to the magnetic surface, it prompted me to change out the fluid. When I did so I posted a pic of the drain plug, covered in goop and tiny pieces of metal shavings. Both plugs had shavings, the pic of the drain plug also had a thick layer of goop as it is the part submerged under fluid, the upper fill plug is not. Hope that clarifies the plugs and pic.

Quick Reply: First oil change at 2,000 miles....Base Vette