Rodent smell in Heat/AC system.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 08:11 AM
patrussell
Intermediate

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Rodent smell in Heat/AC system.

After returning from a trip to ID & WY, I detected a foul smell in the car. After running the AC for a while it would pretty much go away, however it did return the next time the car was used. Interior/exterior inspection did not reveal anything until I accessed the Passenger Compartment Air Filter where I found a clump of carpet pad material and upon removal of the filter, I could see that a few of the paper pleats had been chewed. The car was parked (windows up) for a couple of days at my cousin's place where there are lots of voles (field mice) around. Currently I'm airing out the system and changing the filter. Vette picked up at Museum on June 15th. An thoughts on how/where the critter gained access to the car?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:49 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I hate rodents. Pretty much they can get in anything anywhere, I'd guess the fresh air inlets which I'd guess are still below the windshield on the outside of the car.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:13 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Funny you should mention this, in over 55 years of owning at least 60 different cars and trucks I had the cabin and engine air filter eaten by rodents. (It was in my DD pick up which is parked outside and driven daily, Vette is in a secure garage with plenty of mice poison and none ever gets eaten)

This was last week and just yesterday I checked my wife's DD and found her air filters eaten. Checked with the dealership service manager and he said there has been a major increase of filters being eaten. Checked with my kids and a couple friends same thing.

***************** I wonder if the wiz kids (engineers or accountants) are specking out a different material that attracts those rodents.

This is not funny it could get serious they leave a lot of debris (poop and ripped parts of the filter and if it’s the air filter could be injested into the engine***********************
Old 08-28-2015, 10:33 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

I wonder if it's possible for mice to enter car interior through the 'flapper' valves @ rear of car that were designed to allow air to escape when closing the trunk/deck lid? I know there is enough room between wiper blade base and cowling to allow mice to get into the HVAC system intake area where the air filter is located, but not sure about whether there is room in that area for the mice to enter interior without eating a hole in the air filter.....
Old 08-28-2015, 10:43 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

If they got into your fresh air filter system they can get into the interior of the car....Traps with Peanut Butter as bait is the only way to get rid of them...You do not want to poison them and have them die someplace behind the dash....
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jovette
I wonder if it's possible for mice to enter car interior through the 'flapper' valves @ rear of car that were designed to allow air to escape when closing the trunk/deck lid? I know there is enough room between wiper blade base and cowling to allow mice to get into the HVAC system intake area where the air filter is located, but not sure about whether there is room in that area for the mice to enter interior without eating a hole in the air filter.....

While this was my first mouse in vehicle invasion I have been a boater for years and let met tell you if there is a spot about the size of your pinkey finger in diameter they can get in.(that goes for anything house, garage, car, truck, RV, boat)

Stored my boat in a fairly tight older garage for years during the off season (Oct-end of May) and no mater how tight it was rapped they got into garage and boat. (they love wires and seats in the boats)

That is why my stored Vette is in a well built new concrete garage with very well fitted doors and I still leave plenty of poison and glue traps around.( Which have never been touched) I check daily .
Old 08-28-2015, 11:11 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

I have a friend who is a Lexus mechanic and he stated they get at least one vehicle a month with rodent damage.I have heard a mouse can get in a hole the size of a dime. Mouse traps with peanut butter were place in the interior of some of my cars that I had to store outdoors until I finished modifying my 4 car out building. The building was infested with mice and squirrels. Three barn cats fixed the problem.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:14 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
While this was my first mouse in vehicle invasion I have been a boater for years and let met tell you if there is a spot about the size of your pinkey finger in diameter they can get in.(that goes for anything house, garage, car, truck, RV, boat)

Stored my boat in a fairly tight older garage for years during the off season (Oct-end of May) and no mater how tight it was rapped they got into garage and boat. (they love wires and seats in the boats)

That is why my stored Vette is in a well built new concrete garage with very well fitted doors and I still leave plenty of poison and glue traps around.( Which have never been touched) I check daily .
I always keep sticky traps in the boat when not used regularly. I know the area they like to hang out in. What a pleasant surprise to fine this one morning.

The only good rat is a dead rat.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:34 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I always keep sticky traps in the boat when not used regularly. I know the area they like to hang out in. What a pleasant surprise to fine this one morning.

The only good rat is a dead rat.
Goes for mice too!

PS
Old 08-28-2015, 11:41 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by pltmgr
I have a friend who is a Lexus mechanic and he stated they get at least one vehicle a month with rodent damage.I have heard a mouse can get in a hole the size of a dime. Mouse traps with peanut butter were place in the interior of some of my cars that I had to store outdoors until I finished modifying my 4 car out building. The building was infested with mice and squirrels. Three barn cats fixed the problem.
Yep....A little ***** works wonders....
The following users liked this post:
Raiderh20boy (02-17-2016)
Old 08-28-2015, 11:47 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

A female cat is your best defense against mice, I don't have one, but the big orange kitty from across the street visits daily she patrols my yard.

Hunting is good, I always see leftover remnants of the cats visits when I work in my yard.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:04 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

My cats only seem to kill cat chow. I need a nice feral cat down at the dock.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:59 PM
johnnypro
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never had this problem, but thanks for making me puke in my mouth.

When I read the thread title, I immediately got a vivid mental image of gaseous, dead rat fumes spewing into my face.

Thanks for ruining my day.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:04 PM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Those little rascals are everywhere! My previous Evo a varmint decided to store some samll crab apples in the ventilation blower. Sounded like a can of marbles when using A/C or heater.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:07 PM
golddog
Melting Slicks

Received 2,894 Likes on 990 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Bunch of Anti-Rodentites.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:24 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Mice can be a menace for sure. They love to eat electrical wiring in cars.

I am also a member of Internet Brands website Jaguar Forum. I know of one person in the San Francisco area were mice eat up his electrical wiring in a $105,000 Jaguar XKR causing $20,000 in repairs. Not fun.

Here in southern New Mexico, we can not leave a car parked outside as it will attract desert rats and mice.

I use the following from Amazon. I made small blocks of wood and simply drive a nail thru the mice bait. Works great and protects cars from rodents even in a garage. I just put new garage door seals on my 3 garage doors to protect my C7, 981, and Jag XKR.

This bait comes in a large bucket with about 100 blocks.

Try it. It is a preventive measure. If these critters start eating the wiring in your C7 then you have a major problem and this is not covered by any warranties. Only a HO policy might help with repairs.

Amazon.com: Tomcat All Weather Bait Chunx, 4 Lb: Everything Else Amazon.com: Tomcat All Weather Bait Chunx, 4 Lb: Everything Else

Act now, and act quickly to prevent any additional problems.

Using this material I have not had any related problems. Plus when putting a nail thru the bait on small block of wood, you will see whether or not the mice or rats are chewing at the bait. For $20.00 this is one of your best preventive measures that you can take.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I've had rodent damage on my previous sports car - a Porsche. Check Engine light came on. Dealer said the rat (yes - rat) chewed through a wire related to the oxygen sensor. Thankfully only cost $600. Had the rat chewed into the wiring harness we would have had to get a new one from Germany and it would have taken God knows how long to get - and at a cost of $20,000! I pondered this for awhile, but each car is unique, so it would make sense the wiring harnesses are also unique.

I put out some D-Con and a couple of traps - caught the rat, (and made sure all possible entrances to the garage were sealed up) and since then so problem. A friend of mine has a Shelby Mustang and he just got his car back from the dealer after experiencing $2,000 worth of rodent damage. He had dog food in the garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Rodent smell in Heat/AC system.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:18 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Mice can be a menace for sure. They love to eat electrical wiring in cars.

I am also a member of Internet Brands website Jaguar Forum. I know of one person in the San Francisco area were mice eat up his electrical wiring in a $105,000 Jaguar XKR causing $20,000 in repairs. Not fun.

Here in southern New Mexico, we can not leave a car parked outside as it will attract desert rats and mice.

I use the following from Amazon. I made small blocks of wood and simply drive a nail thru the mice bait. Works great and protects cars from rodents even in a garage. I just put new garage door seals on my 3 garage doors to protect my C7, 981, and Jag XKR.

This bait comes in a large bucket with about 100 blocks.

Try it. It is a preventive measure. If these critters start eating the wiring in your C7 then you have a major problem and this is not covered by any warranties. Only a HO policy might help with repairs.

Amazon.com: Tomcat All Weather Bait Chunx, 4 Lb: Everything Else

Act now, and act quickly to prevent any additional problems.

Using this material I have not had any related problems. Plus when putting a nail thru the bait on small block of wood, you will see whether or not the mice or rats are chewing at the bait. For $20.00 this is one of your best preventive measures that you can take.
I hope you're using these outside the building as a bait station and not inside. They will chew this stuff and find a place to die which could be in your vehicles. Dead mice in the wrong places are almost as bad as live ones.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:30 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by dbdave
I hope you're using these outside the building as a bait station and not inside. They will chew this stuff and find a place to die which could be in your vehicles. Dead mice in the wrong places are almost as bad as live ones.
I use these mice baits outside of the house, not in the garage. Some in 2 bait stations where the rodent runs in to eat the bait, and some on small wooden blocks exposed. They are weather proof mice & rat bait blocks and if they get wet, they do not melt away.

I have found these work great.

Who wants smelly dead mice in a garage. These critters can be hard to find when dead, they just stink!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:43 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Finding them (dead) in the hull of a boat is nearly impossible.

Unfortunately I have found them to be very smart, after seeing their friend in a snap trap they will not go near the thing even for peanut butter and almonds. You have to constantly change things up, they are fast learners.

I might try one of these DIY rat traps

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...catch-rat-trap

Quick Reply: Rodent smell in Heat/AC system.