C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is A Fix In Place For The HVAC System Blowing Hot Air When The A/C is Off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Where does the vent system draw air from?
I think from outside at the base of the windshield.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:06 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Originally Posted by BIC
I think you misunderstand the issue, it has nothing to do with the car sitting in the hot sun. In fact, it's just the opposite. As an example, my C7 is parked in the garage and cool. I drive it in 60-70* OAT. No AC and nice cool air flowing through the vents. 20-30 minutes later, with the engine running hot for a bit, the non-AC cool air has now turned hot.

Can turn the temp control all the way down to "Lo", doesn't help. Turn on the AC and instantly cool. I've owned dozens of cars in my life (none as expensive as a C7) and this is the only car that's ever behaved this way.
The above info accurately describes the problem. Even with the ventilation starting out cool, after a while on the road, the incoming air gradually warms up -- quite a bit above ambient temperature, in fact. I think most of us realize that we can 1) turn the fan completely off by rotating the ****, or 2) we can set the air flow to "recirculate" to stop the flow of warm air, or 3) we can turn on the A/C. There doesn't seem to be a way, however, to deliver cool ambient air thru the ventilation system without the gradual warmup, as described.

There is an HVAC reflash that applies to my car (an early 2015 model) that I thought had fixed this problem -- it must have just been extra cool outdoors that day as the problem still exists as it has since day 1.

For now, items 1) thru 3), above, are our only solutions, as near as I can determine.

Ernie
Old 09-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Black&White
I think from outside at the base of the windshield.
It's not very far from there to the vent, I'm surprised it heats up as much as it does.

The couple times I've ridden with the top off I had the A/C on because it was warm air coming out with just the vents. Seems kinda counter productive.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:26 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
I don't think some of you guys understand the problem.

In my Jeep Wrangler .. if I have AC on the blower is on ... If I turn AC off the blower goes off.

In my Ford Focus ... if I have AC on the blower is on ... If I turn AC off the blower goes off.

In my C7 ... If I have AC on the blower is on. If I turn AC off the blower STAYS on ...

That is the issue.
Seriously? That's the issue? Turn the **** on the right, under the radio, until the blower goes off.

Hitting the recirc button in addition ensures no air forced through the vents by the motion of the car.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Seriously? That's the issue? Turn the **** on the right, under the radio, until the blower goes off.

Hitting the recirc button in addition ensures no air forced through the vents by the motion of the car.
Mine still has hot air coming in even with the fan off. With the blender in Lo no hot air should ever come in no matter what the fan is doing. I long for the days you could order a Corvette with a manual HVAC system.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Sure there is a fix.....winter. If you are hot, turn your AC on. Seems like common sense to me! If you turn your AC off around here you will die in a matter of minutes. No different from being in space without a helmet. Yes, your head WILL pop.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM
scottsh
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Sure there is a fix.....winter. If you are hot, turn your AC on. Seems like common sense to me! If you turn your AC off around here you will die in a matter of minutes. No different from being in space without a helmet. Yes, your head WILL pop.
You're missing the point, but I can't tell if you care or are just trolling.

See the pic in the other thread where the outside ambient air temp is 60 degrees but the temperature of the air from the middle vent (with no heater on) is 106 degrees. Are you seriously saying that at 60 ambient you should expect to turn on the AC? I don't.

The fix is to turn off the vent/blower system completely. No air circulates through that system at that point. This is annoying to me because on my other cars the vent system brings in fresh cool air but on my C7 it does not.

But is this a reason to sue GM, return the car or drive it into a lake? No.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by scottsh
You're missing the point, but I can't tell if you care or are just trolling.

See the pic in the other thread where the outside ambient air temp is 60 degrees but the temperature of the air from the middle vent (with no heater on) is 106 degrees. Are you seriously saying that at 60 ambient you should expect to turn on the AC? I don't.

The fix is to turn off the vent/blower system completely. No air circulates through that system at that point. This is annoying to me because on my other cars the vent system brings in fresh cool air but on my C7 it does not.

But is this a reason to sue GM, return the car or drive it into a lake? No.

If it's 106 with a 60 degree ambient then yes, that's a problem.

Mine doesn't do it.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine doesn't do it.
My C7, as well as a lot of other people, do have C7s with this issue.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:47 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Black&White
Mine still has hot air coming in even with the fan off.
That's why you put it in recirc.

Yes, I agree the system should allow cool outside air in when the A/C is off without heating it up. But it doesn't, so the best you can do is prevent the hot air from flowing into the interior.

The Stingray isn't unique in this respect. My last car was the same. I think manufacturers just assume people are going to run the A/C when it's warm out, and don't worry about this any more.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Where does the vent system draw air from?

Windshield cowl on drivers side.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:54 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

I think everyones C7 Stingray or Z06 does this as I have yet to find one that does not.
It is by design as the hot engine bay heats the firewall which in turn heats the vent ducts.

I also do like meyerweb in my area where ambient temps are moderate. Turn off fan, leave in recirc. and open the window(s) usually passenger window enough to bring in the outside air.

First car I have ever had to do this! But also first car with 650HP
Old 09-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
I think everyones C7 Stingray or Z06 does this as I have yet to find one that does not.
Mine doesn't do it.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:05 PM
scottsh
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine doesn't do it.
It doesn't because you always drive with the AC on? See now I can troll .

Seriously - you drive with the system on but not the AC and it doesn't blow hot air?
Old 09-03-2015, 12:21 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Seriously - you drive with the system on but not the AC and it doesn't blow hot air?

Old 09-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

I wasn't trolling if it truly doesn't happen on my car, I am not familiar with what you're experiencing.

I can drive with the fan on at any speed and it blows near or maybe a little below ambient temp, which is what I would expect without the AC button pressed/compressor on. In fact, I do this regularly to eliminate the loud condensation burn off upon parking in the garage. I turn off the compressor 5 minutes before I get home with no strange effects/temps and my ambient is 95-105 in August. I usually go from AC on/temp set to 60 and switch the compressor off and sometimes crank the temp to 70 or even 80 to blow condensation out of the vents, too.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:11 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

I wasn't trolling if it truly doesn't happen on my car, I am not familiar with what you're experiencing.

I can drive with the fan on at any speed and it blows near or maybe a little below ambient temp, which is what I would expect without the AC button pressed/compressor on. In fact, I do this regularly to eliminate the loud condensation burn off upon parking in the garage. I turn off the compressor 5 minutes before I get home with no strange effects/temps and my ambient is 95-105 in August. I usually go from AC on/temp set to 60 and switch the compressor off and sometimes crank the temp to 70 or even 80 to blow condensation out of the vents, too.
Check the settings in the infotainment system and see if you have "auto-defrost" selected. If you do, the car is sometimes running the A/C even when you don't think it is, with no indication on the dash at all. If that setting is set on, turn it off and see what happens.

I thought my car didn't have this problem, until I switched the auto-defrost setting.

Get notified of new replies

To Is A Fix In Place For The HVAC System Blowing Hot Air When The A/C is Off?

Old 09-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Why not just leave the climate control system in auto mode?
Old 09-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Check the settings in the infotainment system and see if you have "auto-defrost" selected. If you do, the car is sometimes running the A/C even when you don't think it is, with no indication on the dash at all. If that setting is set on, turn it off and see what happens.

I thought my car didn't have this problem, until I switched the auto-defrost setting.
I will check it, but it definitely turns the compressor off as it gets humid (which is why I turn the heat up to blow out the moisture).

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Why not just leave the climate control system in auto mode?
Auto mode doesn't work too good on mine. Almost like it's dumb. Plus Auto always turns on recirc, which I don't like. I prefer fresh air unless I am behind Uncle Buck.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:13 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Gents, one KEY HVAC function has changed since the early 2014 builds (and subsequently became an update for those cars): The LO setting initially ALWAYS ran the AC - even with no light/indicator showing.

My first 2014 C7 (built in mid-September 2013) was this way. So I left it set to 61...to avoid this.

The current HVAC programming (changed in early 2014 by all accounts) now DOES NOT turn on the AC in the LO setting - hence the hot air blowing. My 2nd 2104 C7 built in March 2014 and my 2015 built in December 2014 had the update and did not engage the AC when on LO.

And my 2015 blows pretty warm when on LO as others have noted - even when not terribly warm outside. So I turn the fan all the way off. I don't consider this a defect as there's a lot of hot stuff for the outside air to pass over before it comes out the vents. If I wanted it cooler, I'd turn on the AC. So to the OP's post, I don't think there's a problem to fix when the HVAC is in a "passive" state.

And as meyerweb indicated, another complicating issue is the Auto Defog option. The default is ON, which will also engage the AC when conditions warrant (humidity vs. temperature). I also discovered this early in my C7 ownership and turned it OFF.

I never use the Auto setting, so can't comment on its effectiveness.

Quick Reply: Is A Fix In Place For The HVAC System Blowing Hot Air When The A/C is Off?