Sponsored by:

Z51 oil level

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:12 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
I honestly have never noticed much difference in checking oil at 1 minute or 5 minutes. On either my 2014 or 2015 Z51. I never waited longer than 5 minutes because any longer than that and I'd forget... And eventually the sump empties below the dipstick if you wait too long which also keeps me away from the 10 minute idea.

Wow. There's so much wrong there, don't even know where to start.

Oil foaming is a byproduct of the silicone curing process degrading the anti foaming agents in the oil in the dry sumps. Follow the break in procedures, change the oil at 500 miles, and it's a NON ISSUE. NOTHING to do with running it hard afterwards.

Liquid oil in the intake tube is from the dry sump burp line, not the dirty side PCV vent that catch cans hook into. And oil foaming only happens on dry sump factory fill oil run hard -before- the first oil change. It is the cause of 90% of liquid oil in the intake tube. The other 10% is from SEVERE overfill by improper PDI (as in quarts overfilled). Foaming is why the revised service bulletin came out for the 500 mile change. Not factory overfill. That was the incorrect initial speculation.

There is no "catch can" in any C7 from the factory. A catch can catches PCV vapors from the dirty side and condenses it. Furthermore those vapors are introduced behind the throttle body into the intake manifold snout. **No way for it to go upstream in the airflow and become liquid in the intake tube. Liquid oil only comes from the sump burp line.

How do I know? I've owned both a 2014 and 2015 Z51 (and I've read almost every tech oriented post on the C7 since fall 2013). I had oil in the intake tube on my early 2014 car since it was before the 500 mile service advisory. I followed the break in, but didn't change the oil until 2200 miles and I had a quarter cup. It clearly came from the dry sump burp line since it,was collected in the pod the hose attaches to. After the oil change...zero oil for 4000 more miles and a lot harder driving. On my 2015 I followed the break in, changed the oil at 500 miles...zero oil in the intake tube...and none in the 4000 miles since.

Yes, I have a catch can on my 2015. But that's for oil vapor going into the manifold from the dirty side PCV vent in the valley..and I get about an ounce every 1000 miles.
It's amazing what some put on this forum!
Old 09-03-2015, 07:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by INTHERED
I really appreciate all of you taking time to respond to my questions.
I have checked my oil level several times and its about a 1/4 inch above the top of hash marks on the dipstick do you think that I should remove some oil ?
If so should I remove the oil until its centered on the hash marks on dipstick or what ?

Thanks >>>> Inthered
I would. A length of small diameter hose like that used for aquarium air pumps should be able to create a siphon. Might take a while to but draining 1/2 quart should do it. Leave it long enough as you'll have to suck on the open end. When you see oil coming thru put the open end in a container and let if drain.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:29 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Just check it when you get fuel. Just do it after you get through pumping, then pop the hood. Warning though, a Vette with the hood up will draw a crowd.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:43 PM
INTHERED
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
2nd Question: Why I keep mine a 1/2 quart low. To get all of the oil out of the pan the scavenge pump has to pump a lot of air into the dry sump tank. That air burps out of the tank thru a hose at the top into the intake air duct after the oil filter. Along with the air, if the oil level is too high some oil and oil mist will be pulled with the air. Note a "catch can" has nothing to do with this excess oil.) For $100 you can buy a "Clean Air Oil Separator" that replaces the oil fill cap and has a 2.5 inch high container with stainless ribbon that condenses the oil mist and has in drop into the tank. (included a pic.) If the oil level is kept about 1/2 quart low less chance of oil being drawn out with the burped air. Already too long an answer, I'm sure some eyes are rolling, I discuss a "Catch Can" in a separate answer!

Clean Air Oil Separator Replaces Oil Fill Cap
Where did you purchase your Clean Air Oil Separator and what is the black pipe fitting in the photo used for ?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Just check it when you get fuel. Just do it after you get through pumping, then pop the hood. Warning though, a Vette with the hood up will draw a crowd.
At a busy station is might draw a long honk from the cars behind you, too.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:53 PM
INTHERED
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Does the Z51 really take 9.8 quarts or is my dealer an idiot

I took my Z51 to the dealer to have my M7 cold shifting problem looked at and while it was there I had them change the oil but I told them to only put 9 quarts in. Well I checked the oil level later and it was at least 2 inches above the hash marks. So I took it back to the dealer and the service manager said he personally watched the mechanic drain both the engine and the dry sump and put the 9 quarts in. He also said that he would be calling Chevrolet this Friday about the problem. I am thinking that maybe in all of the confusion maybe the mechanic got nervous and forgot to change the filter or maybe Chevrolet has a problem ? Is there anyone on this forum that changes their own oil that knows for a fact that 9.8 quarts of oil will put the oil level right at the top hash mark on the dip stick ?

Thanks >>>> Inthered
Old 11-25-2015, 11:15 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

I've personally changed my oil...even posted about it in your thread here.

The oil spec is correct @9.8 quarts. I've done this on two different Z51 cars with the EXACT same results. No GM issue. I put in 9 quarts and changed the filter. Exact same place on the dipstick afterwards...just into the bottom of the hash marks...on two different cars.

There is no "dry sump drain". There are two drain plugs in the pan for different areas of the pan. FYREANT has some detailed pix of the pan if you want to see what I'm talking about.

I'd start with mechanic/dealer incompetence if you are indeed as overfilled as you say.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

This is why capacity isn't that important. You have no idea if he didnt drain the whole system. If he left a 1/2 qt in there, then 9.8 would be an overfill. Always start at 9.0....add 2 ounces from there until it's Mid stick.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (11-25-2015)

Quick Reply: Z51 oil level