Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport News

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:43 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

The GS did what it was supposed to do by propping up C6 sales which were dropping like a rock. At this time the C7 is doing fine, I suspect you will see a C8 before GM tries to do anything similar as it did with the introduction of the GS.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:57 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Grand Sport News

Originally Posted by Hameister
I always get a kick outta you Grand Sport haters.

They always say the same thing, GS owners paid loads of extra money for a car that was just a few inches wider, with wider tires, and was heavier, and slower.
The only thing you left out was the "phony scoops", myth.

Would you like to know the facts?

The Grand Sport had...

Specific manual transmission with different gear ratios
Larger/stiffer anti-sway bars
Stiffer springs
Revised shocks
Larger Z06 rear spoiler
Transmission cooler
Functional front and rear brake ducts for added brake system cooling
Unique light weight forged aluminum 18-inch front and 19-inch rear wheels (painted finish standard and chromed finish optional)
Z06 brakes, including cross-drilled 355 mm (14.0 in) front rotors and 340 mm (13 in) rear rotors
Specific rear axle ratio on automatic transmission equipped models
Wider front and rear fenders with integrated Grand Sport badges
Wider 275/35ZR18 tires in the front
Wider 325/30ZR19 tires in the rear
6-piston front calipers and 4-piston rear calipers
Dry-sump oil system (In Coupes equipped with manual transmissions)
Hand-built LS3 6.2L V8 (Coupes equipped with manual transmissions only)
Manual models also include launch control.
Extra cost for all of this? Average was about $4,600!

Other than all this, you're absolutely correct, just wider heavier, and slower.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:59 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I always get a kick outta you Grand Sport haters.

They always say the same thing, GS owners paid loads of extra money for a car that was just a few inches wider, with wider tires, and was heavier, and slower.
The only thing you left out was the "phony scoops", myth.

Would you like to know the facts?

Extra cost for all of this? Average was about $4,600!

Other than all this, you're absolutely correct, just wider heavier, and slower.
I'm not a GS hater and have been driving vettes since I was 17 and now am currently on my 25th vette from all of the first 6 generations.

Higher numbers for weight and drag coefficient are not better and the cost to add Z51 in 2009 was $1,695. they eliminated the Z51 option in 2010 and replaced it with the GS option with many of the same features as were included with the Z51 for an additional cost of $5,840 over the base 2010 coupe to get the GS. That is an additional $4,145 over the cost of the 2009 Z51 option for very few additions to what the Z51 included. Again as I stated before it was a very smart move on GM's part to increase profit on what was a very popular Z51 option already. By eliminating the Z51 option they forced the buyer to pay nearly 3 1/2 times as much to get something very similar.

2012 Coupe v Grand Sport (Higher numbers for weight, power to weight ratio and drag coefficient are not better):

Coupe

CURB WEIGHT

3,225 lbs.

POWER-TO-WEIGHT

7.5:1 (curb weight/hp)

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION

51/49 DRAG COEFFICIENT 0.286

GS Coupe:

CURB WEIGHT

3,330 lbs.

POWER-TO-WEIGHT

7.7:1 (curb weight/hp)

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION

51/49 DRAG COEFFICIENT 0.34
Old 09-03-2015, 01:02 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Grand Sport News

As a former GS owner I'd love to see one but I just don't see the logic to build it, the wide body Z06 now comes with Auto transmission and removable roof, all things that were missing in the C6 Z06, if built that would cut into the Z06 sales !
Old 09-03-2015, 01:11 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-sport.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...quivalent.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rt-coming.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-horizon.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...randsport.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rt-or-z06.html

There were 8 more results after this but I got tired of pasting them in.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RJRSW
I'm not a GS hater and have been driving vettes since I was 17 and now am currently on my 25th vette from all of the first 6 generations.

Higher numbers for weight and drag coefficient are not better and the cost to add Z51 in 2009 was $1,695. they eliminated the Z51 option in 2010 and replaced it with the GS option with many of the same features as were included with the Z51 for an additional cost of $5,840 over the base 2010 coupe to get the GS. That is an additional $4,145 over the cost of the 2009 Z51 option for very few additions to what the Z51 included. Again as I stated before it was a very smart move on GM's part to increase profit on what was a very popular Z51 option already. By eliminating the Z51 option they forced the buyer to pay nearly 3 1/2 times as much to get something very similar.

2012 Coupe v Grand Sport (Higher numbers for weight, power to weight ratio and drag coefficient are not better):

Coupe

CURB WEIGHT

3,225 lbs.

POWER-TO-WEIGHT

7.5:1 (curb weight/hp)

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION

51/49 DRAG COEFFICIENT 0.286

GS Coupe:

CURB WEIGHT

3,330 lbs.

POWER-TO-WEIGHT

7.7:1 (curb weight/hp)

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION

51/49 DRAG COEFFICIENT 0.34
I stand corrected. You're not a GS hater, you're a GS hater in denial.
You just don't get it.
People who purchased the GS, didn't give a chit about drag coefficients, or the extra 100 lbs., or a variance of a fraction of a second in straight line acceleration time.

The car was so popular because of it's looks, it's styling, far superior braking, hand build engine, as well as the many other items I listed for you in my prior post.
They received all that for a reasonable price of an extra few thousand dollars.
But, you ignore all of that.
Guys with your mindset do nothing but talk about aerodynamics, and drag coefficients, weight to power ratio, and tire wear, yada, yada, yada, when those of us who purchased the Grand Sport couldn't care less.
But I'm certain I'm wasting my breath. Have a nice day...
Old 09-03-2015, 02:38 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

You just don't get it.
People who purchased the GS, didn't give a chit about drag coefficients, or the extra 100 lbs., or a variance of a fraction of a second in straight line acceleration time.

The car was so popular because of it's looks, it's styling, far superior braking, hand build engine, as well as the many other items I listed for you in my prior post.
Guys with your mindset do nothing but talk about aerodynamics, and drag coefficients, weight to power ratio, and tire wear, yada, yada, yada, when those of us who purchased the Grand Sport couldn't care less.
To me the corvette is a performance sports car first and a show piece second. If you prefer form over function that is entirely your decision and if you do not mind spending a few grand extra that does little or nothing to improve the cars performance that again is up to you. I prefer advancements in handling and drivability to design gimmicks.

The 63 spit window was an example of design gimmicks that failed and was originally fought by Zora Duntov as a bad design that hurt drivability but the designers prevailed. It was no surprise to us that owned one that the split window disappeared after only one year, it was in the end a design that did nothing to promote the drivability of the car and actually was a negative.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:56 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

If I can remember - in 2 months I will start a new thread about this subject -- lets keep it going and counting..
Old 09-03-2015, 03:04 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

You just don't get it.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:09 PM
astaggs
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct in saying the corvette is a perfomance car but I disagree on the fact about it being a show piece second, I would bet at least 75% of corvetts owned see less than 5000 miles a year. Not my poor ole 11 GS but the majority sit in the garage and are not used, just simply talked about.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:13 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bluman
As a former GS owner I'd love to see one but I just don't see the logic to build it, the wide body Z06 now comes with Auto transmission and removable roof, all things that were missing in the C6 Z06, if built that would cut into the Z06 sales !
GM will probably introduce the C7 GS once Z06 sales begin to lag. Before then, you probably won't see it.

While at the Corvette Corral at Sebring this year, I asked Harlan Charles about the possibility of a C7 GS. He did a survey of those in attendance to see who would buy one. A majority said "YES".

I suspect we'll see it in a couple of years. By then, I think I'll be ready to sell my GS for the C7 GS.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:13 PM
sharpgt
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SSWEET
While I own one.....let's be realistic...the Grand Sport was introduced to spur C6 sales during the final years of the C6 run, as it was during the final run of the C4. GM has a track record of marketing "special edition" cars to boost sales as it did with the "Commerative Edition" C5 and Collectors Edition C5. Would not be surprised to see it (GS) happen again toward the end of the C7 run too.
I agree, when C7 or maybe just if Z06 sales drop off we will see a GS edition. Most likely near the end of the cycle when buyers start sitting on their dollars in anticipation of the C8.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:42 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bluman
Bingo!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

No to both. A GS is more likely though, but considering the C8 is going to be out in 2017 and they're going to not make a base first, but instead lead with their mid engined Halo car, there doesn't seem like there is enough time to make a GS in the C7 cycle.

INB4 someone doesn't catch the sarcasm.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Yup, I doubt it will happen. Whats the need really? The wide body Z06 now has a Vert and an automatic option.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:03 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

I'd be willing to be a bottle of 3 buck Chuck that a 2013 low mileage GS will be worth more than a 2014 Stingray in 4-5 years.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:12 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

The C6 Grand Sport was not just a wide-body, it was also the Z51. The C7 already has a Z51.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport News