Belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:51 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Belt tensioner

Took my '14 in for its 3rd service today and mentioned the chattering noise I've been hearing. Hinted the the Corvette Forum thought it was the belt tensioner. So when it was on the lift for the oil change they looked at the tensioner and found:
pip5185a. The drive belt tensioner leaking oil and lower mount hole bushing worn out.
They actually had one in stock and an hour later I was on my way with a car that was quiet as a mouse for the first time in months (except for the open NPP ). Obviously a common problem that can be easily diagnosed visually once they know to look for it.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:44 PM
McFly
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Belt tensioner

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Took my '14 in for its 3rd service today and mentioned the chattering noise I've been hearing. Hinted the the Corvette Forum thought it was the belt tensioner. So when it was on the lift for the oil change they looked at the tensioner and found:

They actually had one in stock and an hour later I was on my way with a car that was quiet as a mouse for the first time in months (except for the open NPP ). Obviously a common problem that can be easily diagnosed visually once they know to look for it.
I have a 2015 M7 and notice when I'm in 4th gear, low rpm, when I accelerate the engine makes a "zipping" sound, feels like the belt is actually slipping. Anyone experience this?
2015 C7 Stingray
Old 09-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe

How many miles?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:32 PM
McFly
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Belt tensioner

Originally Posted by Len44
How many miles?
5,000 miles
Old 09-06-2015, 12:51 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by len44
how many miles?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:55 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by McFly
I have a 2015 M7 and notice when I'm in 4th gear, low rpm, when I accelerate the engine makes a "zipping" sound, feels like the belt is actually slipping. Anyone experience this?
2015 C7 Stingray
Not the same as mine, mine was a chattering at steady speed between 30 and 50 mph that lasted 2-4 seconds. Any acceleration (or deceleration) made the sound stop instantly.

Get notified of new replies

To Belt tensioner

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner