C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it time for GM to stop offering chrome wheels on Corvettes??

Old 09-04-2015, 04:15 PM
golddog
Melting Slicks

Received 2,894 Likes on 990 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by NYSZ06
Why does it have to be black as an example ? Painted rims ae great...gray rims are great even polished is ok. Chrome is ...well we know what chrome is....

Here's a provactive thought...maybe if the older crowd cared about the future of the car so much they would understand that chrome as a widely used "image" of the car has to go to move the car on for the future and bring in new and younger buyers so their kids have a Corvette one day INSTEAD of being consumed with Dion and the Belmonts and because time has to stand still ! oye !
Sooner or later I hope you have to go. Again you keep saying the same stuff over and over again. I am sure future corvette owners are not going to say, oh look they have chrome rims, I'm not buying. They offer options, do you not understand the meaning of the word?

I have a pretty good "image" in my mind of what you are and hopefully that will change in the future. Go buy a Porsche.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Wm Rose
Ok, so lets sum this up worthless thread. Some people like chrome, some don't. Nuff said!
Hardly worthless. People have strong opinions which vary to the tune of 8 pages of comments in the last 20 hrs.

So I'll offer mine as well - Is it time to GM to discontinue Chrome?

Crazy Q from a marketing perspective. The demand is still strong.

Full year production results 2015 C7:

Silver wheels................1770
Gloss blk..................... 986
Blk machined................ 248
Chrome.......................2224
Chrome ZF1 Z51...........3811
Sterling silver.............. 2157
Painted blk.................. 8063
Blk machined ZF1 Z51...3811
Red stripe blk wheels....... 97

What is not shown is the $$$ generated for GM, Chev dealerships, and the long list of trickle down economics by offering wheels other than base.

My personal preference is none of the above listed options. My pick is aftermarket Verona XO at present. But that could change with the wind. It think blk has a limited life span. I popped the hubcaps on my moms 63 Impala SS to reveal blk wheels long ago. Just to be different. That didn't last long.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:22 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

Why does it have to be black as an example ? Painted rims ae great...gray rims are great even polished is ok. Chrome is ...well we know what chrome is....

Here's a provactive thought...maybe if the older crowd cared about the future of the car so much they would understand that chrome as a widely used "image" of the car has to go to move the car on for the future and bring in new and younger buyers so their kids have a Corvette one day INSTEAD of being consumed with Dion and the Belmonts and because time has to stand still ! oye !

Let's see YOUR Vette!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Personally I could not care any less about the "image" of Corvette owners to people who don't own one. I could not care any less what the age demographic is for Corvette owners. I could not care any less about what anybody thinks of my C7 - which has machine faced alloy wheels BTW. I bought my C7 for me. Period.

As long as over half of the buyers of C7s choose chrome wheels it would be a colossally idiotic decision by GM to get rid of them.

One of the dumber threads here in a long time. Claiming insider info from GM by saying "trust me" is hilarious.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:31 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

This thread is

While you may like or dislike Chrome, black, etc... wheels. Why in the world would you be upset that GM offers it. Are you also angry when they offer color choices that aren't your favorite?
Old 09-04-2015, 04:34 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
If there's a demand, and it's obvious there is, why should they quit offering them?
I was was going to post the exact same thing. Let the market determine what everyone wants. If GM makes a profit and it sells in enough quantity, they will continue.
Just because someone else doesn't think its right isn't a reason not to offer chrome wheels.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:36 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Personally I could not care any less about the "image" of Corvette owners to people who don't own one. I could not care any less what the age demographic is for Corvette owners. I could not care any less about what anybody thinks of my C7 - which has machine faced alloy wheels BTW. I bought my C7 for me. Period.

As long as over half of the buyers of C7s choose chrome wheels it would be a colossally idiotic decision by GM to get rid of them.

One of the dumber threads here in a long time. Claiming insider info from GM by saying "trust me" is hilarious.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:38 PM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

While you may like or dislike Chrome, black, etc... wheels. Why in the world would you be upset that GM offers it. Are you also angry when they offer color choices that aren't your favorite? [/QUOTE]

Who cares? If someone wants chrome wheels then so what? On some cars they look great!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Tough crowd on this one. Here is my input!

Old 09-04-2015, 05:00 PM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by golddog
Sooner or later I hope you have to go. Again you keep saying the same stuff over and over again. I am sure future corvette owners are not going to say, oh look they have chrome rims, I'm not buying. They offer options, do you not understand the meaning of the word?

I have a pretty good "image" in my mind of what you are and hopefully that will change in the future. Go buy a Porsche.
Now is that nice talk ? No it isn't...whats that line from the Godfather
"Tom, he's taking this very poisonally ". Anyway, it's a good thing I don't this stuff too seriously. But it is important to this new car's image. And what new potential corvette owners will say is " I'm not considering the car because of the percreived image..real or not"

Where's my man Dave458 when you need him ?? LOL
Old 09-04-2015, 05:06 PM
NYSZ06
Instructor

I could not care any less what the age demographic is for Corvette owners....no now THAT hilarious...let's pray that the Corvette Team doesn't think this way ( which they don't ) because when you think this way your product goes the way of the typewriter.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:13 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

I can not think of anything more hideous on ANY car than black rims. THAT is the trend that needs to die.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:17 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I bought black rims once. Big waste of money. I decided to use them as winter rims.

However, I have no problem with people that like black. Someones gotta be a follower.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:36 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Please dont use a few examples as is 90% of those cars have chrome because they dont because its not offered....they know better than to let that hurt their image. Let's think like businessmen for a moment. If theyounger professional crowd is the future and they laugh at chrome wheels...and they do....why reinforce that image and turn off that market for the future ? Dumb business .....
By offering chrome wheels, GM is not forcing any of your "horrified" friends to buy a car with chrome wheels.

If they are so "horrified" that a car is offered with chrome wheels that they would not buy one even if they have several other wheel options, they should probably move on. These type of buyers are so fickle they will jump from one fad to another and not really building the Corvette brand.

From a "business" standpoint, GM is offering an option that sells well, as well as other options for those that don't like chrome. Seems smart to me.

No I don't have chrome wheels on my C7.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:38 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,603 Likes on 6,616 Posts

I will tell you this....believe me the chrome wheel discussion is real inside the Corvette Team and they know it's an issue for the image of the car and they know it has to go away sooner or later. Trust me on that one ...I know there will be cries from the heavens ala NO ROUND TAIL LIGHTS NO POP UP HEADLIGHTS ! Oh my God ! But, the chrome is going to go ...it has to ...
For young folks like myself (72) never really had chrome wheels! My ‘41 Ford coupe had spun aluminum racing disks and add-on white walls for the 15 inch front wheels (couldn't afford real ones!) Nothing available for the rear 16 inch steel wheels so they were left bare, painted-that’s what you did in the last 1950’s! When I built my street rod 14 years ago was determined not to ever have chrome peel so there is none! All stainless or aluminum. Wheels are a PIA to polish since the rears are deep and they are not coated! Front nerf bars were plasma cut from ½ inch stainless and polished; copied design from a '60's Hot Rod Mag pic. Rear bumper is all stainless as are the front and rear light housings - fabricated the rears myself! However still would have gotten chrome wheels on the C7 if I couldn't get the CF roof! No big deal, like to have the option.

Little chrome on my 1st car a '41 Ford coupe, removed most of it! Zero chome on my 14 year old ProStreet Rod, all aluminum or stainless.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-04-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:41 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

I can't bebelieve there's nine pages of this. I can assure you that the bean counters at GM will drop any options on any model as quick aa the demand goes low enough.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:43 PM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by lancekl
By offering chrome wheels, GM is not forcing any of your "horrified" friends to buy a car with chrome wheels.

If they are so "horrified" that a car is offered with chrome wheels that they would not buy one even if they have several other wheel options, they should probably move on. These type of buyers are so fickle they will jump from one fad to another and not really building the Corvette brand.

From a "business" standpoint, GM is offering an option that sells well, as well as other options for those that don't like chrome. Seems smart to me.

No I don't have chrome wheels on my C7.

Sorry gents...doo-wop and Bowzer left the stage a long time ago. Nothing says doo-wop and Bowzer like chrome wheels. There was a great leap forward with a higher end buyer on the new car but until the image of hawaiin shirts and Bowzer leave the stage the future new buyers will be held back and that is not good.

For the sake of the future...retire the members only jacket and chrome. Do it for Zora !

Get notified of new replies

To Is it time for GM to stop offering chrome wheels on Corvettes??

Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Chrome forever

Chrome will always be the preferred choice by distinguished owners.
Black is a fad and will soon die and ignoble death, as it should it just hideous.
Other painted acceptable colors are silver. Period.
A natural wheel would also be acceptable.
I really mean this.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:54 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I am having my car crushed immediately because of the chrome wheels.

Dear Mr. Corvette ****, please make a list of acceptable options so us poor uniformed car buyers can make you happy. Your opinion is so important to us all.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry gents...doo-wop and Bowzer left the stage a long time ago. Nothing says doo-wop and Bowzer like chrome wheels. There was a great leap forward with a higher end buyer on the new car but until the image of hawaiin shirts and Bowzer leave the stage the future new buyers will be held back and that is not good.

For the sake of the future...retire the members only jacket and chrome. Do it for Zora !
I wonder if Bowzer knew how to spell "Hawaiian" correctly? Nothing reflects more poorly on Corvette owners than drivers who spell like a third grader. Too bad there isn't an essay portion of the driving examination.

Oh, and we still haven't seen the pics of your car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it time for GM to stop offering chrome wheels on Corvettes??