C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice-GM says screen cable should be replaced but screen works fine

Old 09-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Need advice-GM says screen cable should be replaced but screen works fine

Bought Vert in Jan. 2014. Like a lot of you guys lucky to have no problems in past 18 months. Love the car, it has only 10,000 miles - everything is great.
Periodically, I mean maybe 3 times in 18 months screen goes crazy for maybe 5 minutes then is fine. Very rare so I have not been too concerned. Last week dealer said screen showed 2 codes. One code is some kind of update and second code shows cable needs to be replaced. I like the dealer, Corvette service tech. Has 20 years experience working on Corvettes but never has taken a C-7 dash apart before. Dealer did update and as usual screen is currently still working fine. Dealer has ordered the cable and will call me to schedule installation. Real concerned however.

Questions:
1. has anyone had to have the cable only replaced?
2. It currently not broken should I go forward to have this dash torn apart? It looks like a huge job. My fear is what other problems could pop up after tearing into dash even by experienced technician.
3. If I decide to not do this warranty runs out then I am on the hook for this. Cost of cable is $40.00 but labor could be 3-4 hours at least. What would you guys do? Fix now or wait and see what happens in the next 18 months? Warranty runs out Jan. 2017.
4. Last question-does it not make sense that a electronic cable either works or does not work? It simply is a cord either plugged in or not plugged in? I should mention this uncommon problem does not happen when I put screen up or down as I rarely do this and when the problem occurred I had not touched the screen.

Thank for any advice.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Two things about your problem. One, due to murphy's law your problem will not get better but will get worse. The screen does go up and down and therefore has a flexible cable which over time will only go down hill. Two, it is better to have it fixed for free than to pay for it yourself. They have manuals that will step them through every action required to replace this cable step for step. If it is not right when they are done take it back till it is. After all it is still under warranty.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:36 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the entire screen changed in December. There was no problem at all, my car is an early built car vin 1356...The early cars had many screen problems,at that time entire screen change to the newer screen( made from a different vendor) was the recommended repair from the tech center. The selling dealer did the repair Mac Mulkin but their head Corvette Tom had already replaced many. Hope all goes well with repair. just a thought maybe while it's all opened up they can replace the entire screen.

Ron

Last edited by vetehead; 09-05-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vetehead
I had the entire screen changed in December. There was no problem at all, my car is an early built car vin 1356...The early cars had many screen problems at that time entire screen change to the newer screen( made from a different vendor) was the recommended repair from the tech center. The selling dealer did the repair Mac Mulkin but their head Corvette Tom had already replaced many. Hope all goes well with repair. just a thought maby while it's all opened up they can replace the entire screen.

Ron
Thank you Ron, I did know (by following this Forum) that many early screens were replaced but did not know until your post that a different vendor was used after these problems started up.
I will check with dealer, have them contact Chevy and see if they will replace screen. If not, I can buy parts wholesale. I am thinking if Chevy will not replace screen I will buy one myself just as a precaution, like you say, while it is all opened up. Let's go ahead and replace screen too. What do you think?
Old 09-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Depending on when your car was built you may already have the newer screen. The later 2014's had cable problems not screen problems.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,187 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would go ahead and have them do the work. Get it done now and then you still have plenty of warranty left should any future problems appear.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice-GM says screen cable should be replaced but screen works fine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice-GM says screen cable should be replaced but screen works fine