Question for those who have the 2016 Carbon Fiber hood insert

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Question for those who have the 2016 Carbon Fiber hood insert

Just wondering if those who have the carbon fiber hood insert have noticed a fine white line between the carbon fiber insert and the painted surface. I first thought it was just polish from the factory but I cant seem to get it out! Anyone else having this issue?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:23 PM
scottsh
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I had that on my carbon fiber top along the line between the carbon fiber and the paint and along the back edge of the carbon fiber. I was able to get it off with alcohol and rubbing vigorously. I think it is excess clear coat but I'm not positive.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:33 AM
hawkeyefan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the white lines on both the hood and he roof. I'm taking it over to the dealership to gave them fix the situation to cover me in case damage occurs. Too costly to risk me damaging them.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:30 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I do have them on my 2016 coupe hood, though they are very thin white lines and most obvious when viewed from directly above the hood.

I believe what we are seeing is actually the cross-section of the paint & white PRIMER, peeking out along the masking edge. It's quite easy to feel this ridge/edge between the primer/paint and the visible carbon fiber section.

It also appears that there is NO final clear coat layer added to the entire hood after the painting is complete and the mask over the CF removed. That may be because of some limitation GM found in their process or long-term testing, that exposed carbon fiber just cannot have any 'normal' clear added as a common top layer.

Not sure what, if anything, can be done about this issue...

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 09-08-2015 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:10 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

You guys just saved me 4K by not ordering these parts.

Thank you
The following users liked this post:
everjeff (11-22-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

because we are having XPEL ultimate installed on the complete car we have decided to have a 1/4"pin stripe line painted in carbon flash put on the edges of the carbon fiber to paint and go down the edge all the way around the hood vent. We DO NOT have any problem on the exposed carbon fiber/paint on the roof. I really think it is going to look AWESOME on the hood! I think it will tie in the vent in carbon flash with the exposed carbon fiber insert on the DSOM hood.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That will look sharp! Pics when you're done please!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
That will look sharp! Pics when you're done please!
SURE!!
I haven't been on here much with pre-season and now starting the season Sunday. Is yours here yet? I forgot where you said you ordered it? I know someone on here was waiting for delivery at Winter Chev in Pittsburg.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Not yet, thanks for asking. I'm doing the buyers tour this Friday, then museum pick up at the end of the month. I'm gettin itchy to get it!

It's hard to tell in preseason, but the Raiders look like they're going to be a lot better this year. Whereas my Niners look like they're headed the wrong direction. Should be fun!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:01 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Correct me but all hoods are carbon fiber they are selecting some to leave unpainted for your carbon fiber look.
z51vett
Doug
Old 09-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

For 2016 they have an option to leave the stinger stripe as exposed carbon fiber.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:37 PM
efarley
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Just to clarify the carbon fiber is an insert they add to the hood. It is not a masked off area that doesn't receive paint. The carbon fiber they use for the hood and roof is a commercial grade CF that looks like matte black plastic and has no visible weave. To achieve the exposed look they add a finish layer of display quality CF on top of the hood/roof. In the case of the roof the entire thing is coated with this finish layer making alignment much easier. For some reason on the hood they only lay the finish grade CF insert down where it will be exposed, the rest of the hood does not get this treatment and is left as the commercial grade CF. You'll note this also means you can't go and sand the paint off your hood to expose the CF weave as there is no visible weave anywhere except the exposed stinger stripe.

Think of this like Diamonds. we have jewelry grade diamonds and industrial diamonds. Both share the same strength and hardness however one is cheap ugly and easily mass produced while the other is expensive, exclusive and beautiful.

In the case of the white strip this is caused by them poorly aligning this insert and it sounds like it's a fairly common problem. I'm a bit concerned as I ordered this option thinking they just masked off part of the hood. I've heard one story of a hood coming with the CF insert section half an inch off center with thick white borders.

I'm hoping that the alignment issues were a problem with the early production of the hoods that has since been resolved with better quality control as I've been hearing a lot of people also saying their hood arrive looking perfect more recently. My TPW is 10/5 so I'll find out in around a month and a half if I got a jacked up hood or a good one.

Last edited by efarley; 09-08-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:58 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Here are two delivery pics showing this issue... right-click the pic and open in a new tab to see the full size photo...

The white line varies a lot based on your viewing position - mine is actually worse on the left (driver side) compared to the right, but it looks more obvious on the right in these pics when viewed from directly in front & above the hood with the afternoon sun coming in on the driver side. And really, these pics make it look worse than it does in-person.

Also - I can easily tell that the paint/primer on the rest of the hood is TALLER then the CF insert. That height difference (several microns) is what allows this edge to be felt & seen, since there is no clear coat added to the whole hood to level things out.

AND ON TOP OF THIS, GM didn't BOTHER to give us a real Carbon Fiber hood vent along with this expensive option. So - the 'Carbon Flash' vent looks kinda SILLY next to the real CF insert. I have already talked to a forum vendor and sent pics so he can engage an aftermarket company (APR) to make a matching hood vent..... mo money ...

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 09-08-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Bill P Z06
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Raiderh20boy
Just wondering if those who have the carbon fiber hood insert have noticed a fine white line between the carbon fiber insert and the painted surface. I first thought it was just polish from the factory but I cant seem to get it out! Anyone else having this issue?
I have one on the way and we should not have to deal with that - but we do.
I am going to have that dimensional white ridge hit with a thin pin stripe of the body color- Laguna Blue. The ridge will remain but at least it will match the body color.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:00 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Glad I didn't !

I was going to do both the hood and top. Glad Ken Fichtner talked me out of it. He's seen several come through his dealership with this issue and he was not impressed.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:41 PM
efarley
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill P Z06
I am going to have that dimensional white ridge hit with a thin pin stripe of the body color- Laguna Blue. The ridge will remain but at least it will match the body color.
Don't stress it man, once you see your car with the exposed CF you'll be so happy you checked the box; It looks awesome! If you are one of the few that makes it through QC with poor alignment just tell the dealer you want it replaced under warranty and make sure they're getting one ordered for you before you sign the papers. They shouldn't give you any issues although depending on color there might be a wait due to constraints.

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
I was going to do both the hood and top. Glad Ken Fichtner talked me out of it. He's seen several come through his dealership with this issue and he was not impressed.
No offense but I think you made a mistake. I ordered both the Roof and Hood on mine and it looks fantastic! I'm so glad I didn't chicken out

Even if the hood / roof arrives with a poorly aligned insert you can have it replaced under warranty so there isn't any reason to worry.

They really tie the Carbon Fiber front splitter and side skirts into everything.

Last edited by efarley; 11-22-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah I'm super happy I got it too. It looks great and I get a lot of compliments on it. If you're on the fence I say go for it, really adds a unique and sharp look to the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for those who have the 2016 Carbon Fiber hood insert

Old 11-22-2015, 11:18 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

efarley, gorgeous car you have. Sadly where I live in TX on a rural gravel county road, that splitter and the side skirts would be toast in short order. The money save went into the NPP and the balance on aftermarket goodies for the car.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Bill P Z06
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Correcting the white line

Originally Posted by Bill P Z06
I had a paint smudge on the front of the hood. When I had it corrected I had the hood hit with a number of layers of clear coat and that did two things. The white line, which was very slight disappeared as did the dimensional ridge which allowed Suntech film in one piece to cover the hood.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:50 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Does anybody know if there's an aftermarket option for this visible carbon fiber hood insert?

Quick Reply: Question for those who have the 2016 Carbon Fiber hood insert