Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud flapping vibration sound in front of car at low RPM

Old 09-16-2015, 08:29 PM
cattman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud flapping vibration sound in front of car at low RPM

I am getting a flapping/ vibration sound in my 2014 Z51 A6 that sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. Happens consistently when cruising (foot even on pedal, neither accelerating nor slowing) at low RPM's. Sounds like gravel being shaken in a plastic water bottle. It's been getting worse and worse. I have 14k miles.

Anyone have any idea of what this could be, or have the same issue and get it diagnosed and resolved?
CATTMAN
Old 09-16-2015, 08:53 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by cattman
I am getting a flapping/ vibration sound in my 2014 Z51 A6 that sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. Happens consistently when cruising (foot even on pedal, neither accelerating nor slowing) at low RPM's. Sounds like gravel being shaken in a plastic water bottle. It's been getting worse and worse. I have 14k miles. Anyone have any idea of what this could be, or have the same issue and get it diagnosed and resolved? CATTMAN
Have your dealer check the hydraulic belt tensioner. Known issue on 2014 models
Old 09-16-2015, 08:57 PM
bjhayes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Torque tube issue?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:35 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,132 Likes on 892 Posts

I am getting a flapping/ vibration sound in my 2014 Z51 A6 that sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. Happens consistently when cruising (foot even on pedal, neither accelerating nor slowing) at low RPM's. Sounds like gravel being shaken in a plastic water bottle. It's been getting worse and worse. I have 14k miles.

Anyone have any idea of what this could be, or have the same issue and get it diagnosed and resolved?
CATTMAN
Have you looked under the car to see if you haven't accidentally torn the rubber air dam and perhaps it is flapping?
Old 12-30-2015, 01:21 PM
vinnie12345
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

CATTMAN
Any new news?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:20 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Have your dealer check the hydraulic belt tensioner. Known issue on 2014 models
YUP!! Mine ('15 Z51 @ about 15K miles) did it in 4cyl mode only with slight acceleration, 30 to 50 MPH.....sounds like plastic vibrating. Made an appointment at the dealer.....about an hour later had the new lower idler installed and was back on the road. You can check it out with a flashlight....very low on the front of the engine, more to the passenger side; check with finger for oil on tensioner. No issues since

Last edited by hisvett; 12-30-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-30-2015, 07:24 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

CATTMAN
You don't have a missing cat do you?

Get notified of new replies

To Loud flapping vibration sound in front of car at low RPM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud flapping vibration sound in front of car at low RPM