Sponsored by:

Constraints - September 17th for October 19th Production Week

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:34 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Default Constraints - September 17th for October 19th Production Week

The following constraints are in effect for orders picked up this week, production week 10-19-15:

Stingray:

Z51: 70%

CFA (body-colored carbon fiber roof): 60%

Z06:

CFV (Visible carbon fiber ground effects package): 10%

ZCR (C7.R package): 0%
The following users liked this post:
Zymurgy (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 12:58 AM
Bob-USA
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

An obvious increase availability, I wonder what's up, or are orders down ?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:37 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob-USA
An obvious increase availability, I wonder what's up, or are orders down ?

Exactly what I was thinking. Although, it could be normal end of summer slow down for "sports" cars.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:10 AM
Revlis335
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'm not new to cars, or ordering custom builds. But I have no idea what is meant by constraints. Is this explained somewhere? It seems really important to the Vette community, but I've never seen it before, not sure what is meant.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Revlis335
OK, I'm not new to cars, or ordering custom builds. But I have no idea what is meant by constraints. Is this explained somewhere? It seems really important to the Vette community, but I've never seen it before, not sure what is meant.
It means that availability is limited. For example, only 70% of the Stingray orders that are accepted nationally will be allowed to include Z51.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

<p>Added to Constraint Sticky Thread.</p>
Old 09-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Revlis335
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpuzach
It means that availability is limited. For example, only 70% of the Stingray orders that are accepted nationally will be allowed to include Z51.
Cool, so it's a way of predicting when a customer ordered build may make onto the line. Got it, and thank you.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 PM
VNV Doc
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I ordered my Stingray back in July without any constraints except for the Z51 for which my dealer had an allocation and I got it. My order was accepted and has had an event code of 1100 since July. My dealer called yesterday and said there is now a constraint on my order for the CFA and if I chose to change it to a CF or transparent my order would go into production. I don't want either one. Can someone explain how I have an accepted order and after all this time they can throw a constraint on it? Since it is my understanding that all roof panels are CF (except the transparent) just some are painted to match and some are visible CF, why is there a difference in availability of painted vs. non-painted? Just trying to get educated. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds to me like your dealer either didn't get an allocation or didn't give it to you. An 1100 code means you haven't been given an allocation. Once you get an allocation, your order goes to 2000.

I'd ask your dealer if they truly get allocations, or find a new dealer. I see a lot of the forum dealers advertising they have allocations, it's certainly worth a call. I used Mike Furman at Criswell and recommend him, but all of the forum dealers will be up front with you about when they'll give you an actual allocation.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
VNV Doc (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:40 PM
VNV Doc
Instructor

Thanks Rooster OG. The dealer is a small dealership but the owner is my neighbor so I thought I would give him first crack at it. I may have to take your advice. Although I am not in a hurry, I am beginning to get frustrated with the whole thing. This is my first GM vehicle. I have owned /driven BMWs for years, all custom ordered, and never had this problem. I have a BMW Z4 3.0 Roadster now which is my DD. I just really like the C7 vs. C6 and earlier models (except the 1963) which is why I decided to order one.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by VNV Doc
I ordered my Stingray back in July without any constraints except for the Z51 for which my dealer had an allocation and I got it. My order was accepted and has had an event code of 1100 since July. My dealer called yesterday and said there is now a constraint on my order for the CFA and if I chose to change it to a CF or transparent my order would go into production. I don't want either one. Can someone explain how I have an accepted order and after all this time they can throw a constraint on it? Since it is my understanding that all roof panels are CF (except the transparent) just some are painted to match and some are visible CF, why is there a difference in availability of painted vs. non-painted? Just trying to get educated. Thanks.
You've been snookered, Doc.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:53 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not necessarily snookered. If we have learned nothing from these kinds of threads other than dealers do not understand the retail sold order process than we might as well pack it in and quit ordering. Harsh but my sentiment and given the number of years and variety of experiences I have garnered over the years of ordering I will not be swayed.

My suggestion, sit down with whomever actually does the ordering in your preferred dealership and key through the order workbench. You have stayed with them this long you might as well give them a chance in that your post indicates you are willing to be patient.

Otherwise we might as well concede the Corvette retail sales market to ten or fifteen dealers nationwide, and then try to make a deal.

Laborsmith
Old 09-18-2015, 08:56 PM
VNV Doc
Instructor

Thanks COL (rmorin1249). I believe you are correct. I am retiring from the Army after 40 years AFS and this was supposed to be my retirement present from my wife. l just have to lean a little farther forward in the foxhole I guess.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:03 PM
VNV Doc
Instructor

Thanks Laborsmith. I understand what you are saying, however I am currently stationed in another state but will be moving back to our house in TN which is where my dealership is located. I ordered the car while I was home on leave checking on our house. My next trip back is scheduled for Veteran's Day weekend. That is still a long way off and more time wasted. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

<p>
I ordered my Stingray back in July without any constraints except for the Z51 for which my dealer had an allocation and I got it.
</p><p>No, you didn't get it. If you had gotten the allocation your order would have moved to 2000 and then quickly to 3000 and beyond.</p><p>
My order was accepted and has had an event code of 1100 since July.
</p><p>All orders entered into Order Workbench are &quot;accepted&quot; and remain at 1100 until your dealer assigns the order to an allocation. Being at 1100 means squat. All it means is that the order is valid. GM will do nothing with the order until the dealer assigns it to an allocation.</p><p>
My dealer called yesterday and said there is now a constraint on my order for the CFA and if I chose to change it to a CF or transparent my order would go into production. I don't want either one. Can someone explain how I have an accepted order and after all this time they can throw a constraint on it?
</p><p>Your dealer now has an allocation, and it apparently allows Z51 but does not allow CFA. Both are on constraint. Your &quot;accepted&quot; order (at 1100) again means virtually nothing. Until your dealer assigns your order to an allocation, you really have nothing. Once your dealer assigns your order to an allocation, which they can only do if they have an allocation that allows everything on your order, then your order will go to 2000 and you will no longer be impacted by constraints. Until that point, constraints are very much in play.</p><p>
Since it is my understanding that all roof panels are CF (except the transparent) just some are painted to match and some are visible CF, why is there a difference in availability of painted vs. non-painted? Just trying to get educated. Thanks.
</p><p>Yes, both the exposed CF with painted side spears and the painted roof are Carbon Fiber. The primary difference is that the carbon weave must be perfect for the exposed CF roofs. Roofs that do not have perfect weave are painted because the imperfection will not be seen. Since GM charges more for the exposed CF roof, they aren't going to sacrifice a perfect weave to make it a painted roof.</p>
Old 09-18-2015, 09:56 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I learned a lot ordering mine, and I feel for you VNV Doc. I originally placed my order with my small local dealer. Knew the guy well, ran the little league, super nice guy. He was up front with me though because he understood the allocation process and they just don't sell many Corvettes. After a month, I finally told him that I was going to switch which he understood. If I had wanted a pick up from him, he could've gotten me whatever I wanted.

Just hang in there, see what he has to say. Like I said before, a phone call to one of the forum dealers doesn't obligate you to anything, but you will learn how quickly you can get what you want. I called Mike Furman, and it turns out he's easy to talk to and a really nice guy. Maybe one of the other Forum dealers is closer to you though. Again, good luck!
Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Thanks COL (rmorin1249). I believe you are correct. I am retiring from the Army after 40 years AFS and this was supposed to be my retirement present from my wife. l just have to lean a little farther forward in the foxhole I guess.
I'm still a newbie but luckily after spending about a year reading this forum I was educated enough to realize that unless a dealer sells a lot of cars they are unlikely to get an allocation quickly especially if the order has any constrained options. I visited 4 local dealers and quickly figured out they did not have allocations. I went to one of the big 3 forum dealers, Criswell in Gaithersburg MD, and ordered from Mr. Corvette, Mike Furman. If you decide to bail on your TN dealer I highly recommend giving Mike a call. Tell him I recommended him and that you are retired military. He is a good guy.

Get notified of new replies

To Constraints - September 17th for October 19th Production Week

Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 AM
VNV Doc
Instructor

Thanks to all for the advice and education. I am new to the corvette ordering/purchasing process so I appreciate those who have experience with it and their insight. I will give the dealership one opportunity to fix this or I am going to bail and call Mike Furman. Where is his dealership located and can anyone provide a contact number? Thanks again for everyone's advice and assistance.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:36 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Thanks to all for the advice and education. I am new to the corvette ordering/purchasing process so I appreciate those who have experience with it and their insight. I will give the dealership one opportunity to fix this or I am going to bail and call Mike Furman. Where is his dealership located and can anyone provide a contact number? Thanks again for everyone's advice and assistance.
Criswell Chevrolet Gaithersburg, MD about 20 miles North of DC just of I270

Here you go:

Mike Furman ~ 301 212 4420 desk direct~
www.corvettefurman.com

Send me a PM or call me if you have questions. I just went through this process for the first time myself and Mike guided me with no issues. He will take care of you.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 09-19-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:03 AM
VNV Doc
Instructor

Thanks COL. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Constraints - September 17th for October 19th Production Week