Sponsored by:

What's this on my car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default What's this on my car?

There wasn't anything visible until I washed and dried the car with a chamois--after you wipe the chamois across the passenger door, there is a momentary outline of a splash mark that starts on the rocker and goes up the door almost to the window. It's a dark spot that covers about a third of the door. The mark goes away within a couple seconds as the surface dries, but you can definitely see there is something there that causes the moisture on the paint to react differently to the chamois. Once its dry the door looks normal with no sign of the mark.

It looks like there isn't any wax where the mark is, but I have no idea what could remove the wax like that without damaging the paint. I don't remember even running over any water on the road since I last washed the car and I know it wasn't there then.

I'm thinking that short of a chemical analysis of the door all I can do is guess that another coat of wax will eliminate the problem. Is there anything I should be worried about?
Old 09-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Pics?
Old 09-22-2015, 12:48 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would use something like Meguier's Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compound and then seal and polish. Sound like some Dawn got on the car, it is great for cleaning off old wax, I wash the car with Dawn to get it clean before I am going to polish the car.
I don't have any idea of what you may have gotten on the car but I would treat the affected spot asap.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:12 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

There is probably nothing to worry about. Could there be something soaked into the chamois, like a degreaser or (like the other guy said) Dawn?

I do not use a chamois any more on my car any more. To me, a CLEAN high quality microfiber towel is much better. They can also be washed. (Better without soap or at least double rinsed) Some wax and sealant companies even recommend 100% white cotton towels.

Either one will work nicely, but they must be clean and free of chemicals. What would worry me about a Chamois, can you clean it well enough to completely get rid of all of the chemicals and embedded grit?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:17 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would wash the door with Dawn and then use a clay bar/nanoskin. Hopefully that will remove this residue.

David
Old 09-22-2015, 02:29 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

And ditch the chamois. If you must towel dry get a high quality waffle weave microfiber and wash it after every use.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:36 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wash it.
Clay bar it.
Wax it.

Drive it.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

I agree with others here. Wash it with Dawn, clay it with a clay sponge or mitt then wax and polish. And as stated, lose the chamois and buy some good microfiber towels.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
Pics?
You won't be able to see anything in a picture. It's not visible when it's dry or wet. You can only see it a couple seconds when you wipe it with a chamois and I don't think it'd show up in a pic anyway.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Thanks for the replies, I'll strip it and re-wax it.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

I use a wringer to remove the water from a chamois, do you do that with a microfiber towel or use a bunch of them to dry?
Old 09-22-2015, 04:32 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

As far as just dryng the car, I use a waffle type of microfiber towel. I use the large ones and it normally only takes 2 at most. I usually use a blower to get most of the water off (especially during the hot summer) to prevent water spots than towel off the rest of the water. I use the really soft microfiber buffing cloths to polish after applying wax. I also use a good quality of wax (I use Pinnacle, but there are others that are good). The 100% carnauba wax requires a very light coat so there is very little residue to wipe off. There is a volumes of this type information in the car care forum. The vendors like Adams and Auto Geek have some very useful videos that are helpful no matter what type of product you use.

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
I use a wringer to remove the water from a chamois, do you do that with a microfiber towel or use a bunch of them to dry?
Old 09-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,363 Likes on 789 Posts

One large one will do the whole car; you don't even have to wring it out. I also use a small one to follow up any remaining wetness.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:00 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
I agree with others here. Wash it with Dawn, clay it with a clay sponge or mitt then wax and polish. And as stated, lose the chamois and buy some good microfiber towels.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:46 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
One large one will do the whole car; you don't even have to wring it out. I also use a small one to follow up any remaining wetness.
Buy two large ones. Only takes one to dry the car. Toss it in the laundry basket and you still have the second towel in case you feel the need to go wash it again.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:55 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

You can only see it a couple seconds when you wipe it with a chamois and I don't think it'd show up in a pic anyway.
Don't wipe it with a chamois then.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

I ordered a 3 pack of 20X40" waffle weave microfiber towels for drying. I had a late meeting last night and didn't get a chance to clean the door, but I'll look at it tonight.

Get notified of new replies

To What's this on my car?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:25 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I dry using a single microfiber towel. wet it first (they don't absorb anything dry). And wring it out with your hands as you go.

Easy
Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I started using a blower to knock most of the water off the car after a wash. Can then touch up any residual water with a couple of small microfiber towels.

To your issue, how long have you had your car? have you waxed it before or is this the first wash since owning?

This could be something that was done at Chevy when they detailed the car for delivery. Who knows what could have happened with guys carrying buckets of wash or containers of conditioners. They drop one and it splashes on your car.

As mentioned, clean the entire door of any existing product and re-wax. Re-wet and wipe to see if that splash shadow shows up. Hopefully it won't.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

if it appears after the shammy, but disappears after you wipe it, it's probably a silicone based stain, so alcohol wipe the whole door and re "wax"

Quick Reply: What's this on my car?