Sponsored by:

So far, I'm disappointed with Carplay

Old 09-28-2015, 07:13 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
The fact remains that you don't get duplicate files just because you put them in subfolders. That was my point. ID3Tags help somewhat in organizing things but there's' on substitute for a human organizing things by hand. Plus, as I said, there's other value in performing just a slight amount of organization.
Ah see, you have missed my point.

In the old days, if I wanted the same song on a USB stick on multiple playlists I had to insert the physical song into each folder. Hence you get duplicates. This was eternally annoying.

Yes, once you move to M3U playlists and with ID3Tags this is all no longer relevant, but people still think they have to make a folder for each playlist and put the songs in that folder for that playlist, duplicating them as required to be on multiple playlists...

What we have now is leaps and bounds to the stuff offered even 5 years ago by most manufacturers.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:15 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Today's antics:

-Well scratch the notion that listing albums by artist is easier than I thought. For example I selected the artist Meat Loaf. I have all of his albums on my iPhone including Bat Out Of Hell 1, 2, & 3. In the album list after selecting Meat Loaf were select albums with no way to load the rest. In particular I wanted to play Bat Out Of Hell II which wasn't listed and resulted in absolute insanity trying to get it to play. I figured I'd outsmart CarPlay and told Siri "play Meatloaf Bat Out Of Hell 2", every single time it went to the first song on Bat Out Of Hell 1. So then I changed the Siri command to "Play Bat Out Of Hell T W O". I spelled out the number 2. Her response? "Now playing Bat Out Of Hell 3!!!!" It consistently did this every time. In the end I never got Bat Out Of Hell 2 to play. There is simply no way to list all albums by a particular artist! That is unbelievable, I'm easily able to do it in MyLink.

-Further when selecting the artist's tab in the music app I am no longer given the very convenient option to search for an artist by the first letter of its name. Now I simply get up and down arrows to scroll through endless artists. I've been given this option several times, and I have no idea why it works sometimes but not others.

-Ocassionally the home button to the lower left is just plain missing, no idea on that one.

These atrocities can't be by design, can they? Maybe there's some settings or something I'm overlooking?
Old 09-28-2015, 07:19 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Ah see, you have missed my point.

In the old days, if I wanted the same song on a USB stick on multiple playlists I had to insert the physical song into each folder. Hence you get duplicates. This was eternally annoying.

Yes, once you move to M3U playlists and with ID3Tags this is all no longer relevant, but people still think they have to make a folder for each playlist and put the songs in that folder for that playlist, duplicating them as required to be on multiple playlists...

What we have now is leaps and bounds to the stuff offered even 5 years ago by most manufacturers.
And you missed my point which was (and still is) that you don't get multiple copies of files merely by making subfolders rather you get multiple copies of files by making subfolders AND THEN COPYING THE SAME FILE MULTIPLE TIMES INTO DIFFERENT SUBFOLDERS. Expressed that way it' so obvious why you are getting multiple files - 'cause your making them deliberately. That was my point.

I have never in my life had to make playlists by bunching songs into folders.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
And you missed my point which was (and still is) that you don't get multiple copies of files merely by making subfolders rather you get multiple copies of files by making subfolders AND THEN COPYING THE SAME FILE MULTIPLE TIMES INTO DIFFERENT SUBFOLDERS. Expressed that way it' so obvious why you are getting multiple files - 'cause your making them deliberately. That was my point.

I have never in my life had to make playlists by bunching songs into folders.
Oh no I got what you said. I'm surprised you've never seen the whole folder to playlist where you must duplicate them to get the same song on multiple playlists. From 2004ish until 2010 this was pretty much "the norm."

Here is a link to a Pioneer Z140bh (a unit I've used) since you obviously think I'm a loon.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...nual030212.pdf

See Page 113.

These devices don't really "support" playlists, they support "folders" and that was quite normal in the naughts, as the M3U format wasn't really understood by the aftermarket community (everyone was rushing to support the iPod, then adding Bluetooth)
Old 09-29-2015, 09:45 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

I've convinced myself now, there is NO way to list the albums by a particular artist! If you click on albums you get a list of EVERY album on your phone in random order except the first few which seem to be the most recently played. If you click on an artist it immediately starts playing a song from that artist and then sequentially continues through every song from that artist.

I've never seen such a poorly designed music navigation interface. What shocks me most is that it is actually just a mirroring of my iPhone yet some of the iPhone navigation of music is simply not present. If I click on an artist on my phone in the Music app it immediately brings me to a list of their albums. CarPlay DOES NOT work this way!

Frankly it's horrible and I have no idea how this made it out of Apple's R&D lab!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:55 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Upon further use I now realize that my complaints are completely due to some sort of bug in CarPlay.

Basically the bug centers around the fact that the alphabetical selector appears randomly, therefore I can't jump to an artist or song by letter. When this happens I also can't scroll through the list of artists or songs. Instead I'm presented with a few random artists or songs and then a place at the bottom where I can click more. When I click this it activates Siri. When the alphabetical selector is working I can scroll through all artists and songs in alphabetical order in a long list or jump to a specific letter.

So the navigation interface in CarPlay is not awful as I thought, it's just a bug preventing the functionality that I thought Apple omitted.

Has anyone else experience this bug and possibly know a fix or workaround?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Brad Sadl
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
Upon further use I now realize that my complaints are completely due to some sort of bug in CarPlay.

Basically the bug centers around the fact that the alphabetical selector appears randomly, therefore I can't jump to an artist or song by letter. When this happens I also can't scroll through the list of artists or songs. Instead I'm presented with a few random artists or songs and then a place at the bottom where I can click more. When I click this it activates Siri. When the alphabetical selector is working I can scroll through all artists and songs in alphabetical order in a long list or jump to a specific letter.

So the navigation interface in CarPlay is not awful as I thought, it's just a bug preventing the functionality that I thought Apple omitted.

Has anyone else experience this bug and possibly know a fix or workaround?
I'm listening to my music through Bluetooth because everytime I plug my phone in the system crashes...it's so disappointing. I'd actually kill to be able to listen to my music with the connected sound!
Old 10-10-2015, 11:33 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brad Sadl
I'm listening to my music through Bluetooth because everytime I plug my phone in the system crashes...it's so disappointing. I'd actually kill to be able to listen to my music with the connected sound!
What year is your car?
Old 10-10-2015, 11:49 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Compounding my disappointment with CarPlay is the fact that MyLink too has an incredibly annoying bug. It lists all my songs 3 times. Some quick Google research revealed that this isn't uncommon and has been happening in many GM vehicles for years.

I can't believe how poor of an experience it is to use my iPhone in my Stingray. 2 built in infotainment options and neither is acceptable.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Brad Sadl
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
What year is your car?
2016 just picked it up Wednesday
Old 11-09-2015, 12:18 PM
JoeCT
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Update - it's the wired connectivity

I've posted previously about my bad experience with CarPlay and others, though not all, have had similar disconnects and infotainment crashes. It continues through today even though I keep trying various things. Today I tried something new; I disabled CarPlay (removed devices via infotainment and turned CarPlay off, forgot the Carplay connection on my iPhone and restarted the car and my phone under these conditions). I also forgot bluetooth connections on both the car and phone so there was no connectivity whatsoever. Then I connected the phone via USB but using it only as a media device/phone. Worked fine for a short time as expected - similar to when using as bluetooth media. However, the exact same behavior as CarPlay happened - disconnect and crash. This tells me (I think) that it's the wired connection and/or how the system deals with it, not CarPlay itself.

I'm taking it in to dealer to see what they think. Maybe try a software reset/update before doing anything else. I'll report back. Running out of driving season here in CT!
Old 11-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCT
I've posted previously about my bad experience with CarPlay and others, though not all, have had similar disconnects and infotainment crashes. It continues through today even though I keep trying various things. Today I tried something new; I disabled CarPlay (removed devices via infotainment and turned CarPlay off, forgot the Carplay connection on my iPhone and restarted the car and my phone under these conditions). I also forgot bluetooth connections on both the car and phone so there was no connectivity whatsoever. Then I connected the phone via USB but using it only as a media device/phone. Worked fine for a short time as expected - similar to when using as bluetooth media. However, the exact same behavior as CarPlay happened - disconnect and crash. This tells me (I think) that it's the wired connection and/or how the system deals with it, not CarPlay itself.

I'm taking it in to dealer to see what they think. Maybe try a software reset/update before doing anything else. I'll report back. Running out of driving season here in CT!
Does Pandora work well over Bluetooth or USB? How about using Android?

My car got built today. In AZ our season is year round, barring the rare rain of course!
Old 11-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Brucealeg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrod782
I'm having issues with the Apple radio (paid subscription) stopping all the time with the CarPlay too. Every minute or two I have to press play again or skip the song to have it start again. Pandora over BT works flawless. Not impressed yet.
This happens with MyLink at times to. If your cellular and or data connection to the car isn't good, then this will happen. Most of the gripes I've found point to cellular issues. It stops because the data isn't keeping up. It happens to me rarely in my 2015 MyLink, but it's happened.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:23 PM
SCB
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCT
Are you using the latest version of iOS? There are some CarPlay patches in it.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:54 AM
Dan.S
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Wholly heck... What a mess lol. What happened to good ol Engine music, and if needs be, an FM signal...
Old 11-10-2015, 06:13 PM
GetRidOfWires
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 4100NEX in my 2010 GS, and I bought it for CarPlay. IMHO, the best part of CarPlay is Siri. You can play music, call, and send/reply to texts completely hands-free. The second-best part is using the GPS in my phone, which is always up-to-date, as opposed to the nav unit in your car, which is only as recent as your last paid-for update. I am skeptical that navigation will be usable in wireless CarPlay because of the battery drain. One other thing I do like is that the Now Playing CarPlay app will play whatever I have playing on the iPhone, like my NPR app.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:23 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Update:

Still having the same problem with CarPlay. Apple hasn't responded to my emails and GM does not to my knowledge have any updates to address this. This is singularly the most disappointing aspect of my C7. Here's what I posted earlier that describes the problem:

"Basically the bug centers around the fact that the alphabetical selector appears randomly, therefore I can't jump to an artist or song by letter. When this happens I also can't scroll through the list of artists or songs. Instead I'm presented with a few random artists or songs and then a place at the bottom where I can click more. When I click this it activates Siri. When the alphabetical selector is working I can scroll through all artists and songs in alphabetical order in a long list or jump to a specific letter."

Has anyone experienced this or by some miracle have a solution?

Last edited by docprego; 11-29-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To So far, I'm disappointed with Carplay

Old 11-29-2015, 05:15 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I've been selecting songs/artists only by using Siri and not the screen. I've found that the iPhone needs to be plugged in for a while as I believe indexing takes place as in my daily driver Nissan Altima, this takes a while as well. Once the iPhone is plugged in for at least 20 minutes, most of the songs will play when requested, however sometimes I have to ask Siri a few times before the song I want, will play. If/when things are not working as they are supposed to, I simply power off the phone and then power up again, this has worked the majority of the time. I agree, CarPlay is not ready for prime time just yet, but for the most part, I am enjoying the features. Future updates will most likely correct the bugs that have been mentioned in this thread.

Last edited by direct007; 11-29-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:08 AM
RBarnes
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Bought my '16 a couple weeks ago and have had no trouble with CarPlay...so far. Using iPhone 5s w/IOS 9.1 with about 900 or so songs.

Anyway, I connect my phone via USB/Thunderbolt in the console. Typically, upon connecting, the phone will initialize (buzz 3 times), then all of my content is readily available (contacts, artists, playlists, cover art, etc.). Playlists function perfectly using touch screen or Siri. Maps and SMS functioning fine also.

Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. Best of luck.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:18 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I hope so too! Mine worked great...for about a week or so. Now it's a hot mess. CarPlay just chokes, my USB drive that was working fine now shows everything in triplicate, then the whole thing melts down and crashes. I'm gonna try to get everything working one at a time to see if I can find a balance. Oh well, if I make any discoveries, I'll post back. I'll post to the techie board I'm on too, maybe someone there will know something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So far, I'm disappointed with Carplay