C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is in service, Chevy has no idea whats wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 AM
c7v
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car is in service, Chevy has no idea whats wrong.

On January 2nd my wife and i purchased a 2015 a8 stingray from Kerbeck Chevrolet in NJ. The car has been a dream come true for me. The last 6 month i have had a few issues, one being the roof creak, which I semi-fixed with 2 o rings a side but some noise still makes it through. Then i had creaking noises coming from the car and it sounded like it was falling apart but since the temperature increased above 50, i do not hear it anymore. It was probably weather related, anything below 50 degrees and im guessing the body panels rub together and create a very unpleasant sound.

4 months into ownership i started hearing a clicking sound in the rear right wheel. It started off like somthing metallic clicking into place. it has been progressively getting worse and worse. Now when the initial moment of acceleration takes place, it clicks and when ever de-accelration begins it clicks again. the last week it has progressed to 5 to 7 clicking sounds coming from the rear right wheel when ever torque is applied (applying the gas and then releasing it quickly while being in the same gear). I assumed it was something differential related becuase the noise also presents itself when stationary and having the steering wheel turned ALL the way to the left or right and driving slowly, i thought the speed difference between the rear wheels would cause it to click

I brought the car into the dealership, explained everything. First, they tried a tsb for clicking noise caused by the brakes, nothing helped. The tech told me he called Chevy engineers and they told him to try to re-torque all the bolts under the car to the correct specs. Was told that did not help. The tech told me the 1st attempt at fix took 45 minutes. the second fix would have taken no more than 2 hours. I brought the car in last Tuesday and still no one knows whats going on. I do not want to leave my car in the dealership because the last time i had my oil changed there it ended up all over my car and somehow in between my door panels too. I just wanted to share whats going on, just in case someone else hears something similar with their car. Also does anyone no if i can just come and pick my car up especially since nothing is being done. They are telling me they would rather me not drive my car like that, but the noise does not sound life threatening and i would rather keep it in my own garage until chevy comes up with some kind of plan. I understand that these issues occur in all cars and i in no way blame Chevy, it just sucks for me because i am that guy that switched over from BMWs and was preaching how reliable chevys are to all my friends and family members. In fact i had a review of a stingray vs 2015 sl550 coming and how my father thinks of switching to a stingray but now im a bit to embarrassed to even tell him its at the dealership. Anyone have this issue?

UPDATE 9-28-15: called the dealer, my service vice rep hasn't been in for 2 days and no one else knows whats going on. So i asked to speak to an old service representative and she told me my car is assembled and is just sitting there, i can come in and pick it up. NO PROBLEM WAS SOLVED. she just said when Chevy tells us what to do we can have you bring the car in. Im shocked. this is definitely not confidence inspiring.

UPDATE 9-29-15: Service advisor calls me back and asks when am i going to pick up the car (this is the firs time i actually receive a call back). I ask if Chevrolet is ok with giving back a customer a customer a car that did not have anything fixed. I was told We are waiting for "chassis ears" and im not sure when we will have them, maybe a week.

**update**

Picked up my car from the dealer, nothing was fixed regarding the clicking sound but I was happy because my car was filthy but had no scratches or damages from them. Called customer care, was transferred to a senior rep. They wrote down my problem and informed me that she was going to call the 2nd nearest dealership to me and ask them if they have a vette tech and try to schedule me for an appointment. 2 days passed never got a call back until yesterday. GM Rep asked if anyone called me back and i said no. She said she spoke to the dealership and the receptionist does not know if they have a vette tech. That was that, no other calls back and now i have a car with an issue and no one in Chevy even gives a damn. How can Chevrolet sell a car like this and not even have a list of dealers that can repair it. I found a note from the technician from the first dealership left in the car and it said "need chassis ears????" and some guys phone number. When i was picking up my car i told them i can get them chassis ears and its a 100 dollar product, the tech told me he needs "special kind". Now i dont even know what i am waiting for. Going to take advice from this forum and reach out to people here in the north east that can recommend a dealer. Definitely my last gm product. Had 15 vehicles in the last 9 years and never experienced such confusion/lack of knowledge/follow through and generally not giving a sh@# from a company. What a shame because i love this car and would hate to get rid of it just because of a lack of quality dealers near me.

Last edited by c7v; 10-01-2015 at 02:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jbal (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 11:07 AM
HMA
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c7v
On January 2nd my wife and i purchased a 2015 a8 stingray from Kerbeck Chevrolet in NJ. The car has been a dream come true for me. The last 6 month i have had a few issues, one being the roof creak, which I semi-fixed with 2 o rings a side but some noise still makes it through. Then i had creaking noises coming from the car and it sounded like it was falling apart but since the temperature increased above 50, i do not hear it anymore. It was probably weather related, anything below 50 degrees and im guessing the body panels rub together and create a very unpleasant sound.

4 months into ownership i started hearing a clicking sound in the rear right wheel. It started off like somthing metallic clicking into place. it has been progressively getting worse and worse. Now when the initial moment of acceleration takes place, it clicks and when ever de-accelration begins it clicks again. the last week it has progressed to 5 to 7 clicking sounds coming from the rear right wheel when ever torque is applied (applying the gas and then releasing it quickly while being in the same gear). I assumed it was something differential related becuase the noise also presents itself when stationary and having the steering wheel turned ALL the way to the left or right and driving slowly, i thought the speed difference between the rear wheels would cause it to click

I brought the car into the dealership, explained everything. First, they tried a tsb for clicking noise caused by the brakes, nothing helped. The tech told me he called Chevy engineers and they told him to try to re-torque all the bolts under the car to the correct specs. Was told that did not help. The tech told me the 1st attempt at fix took 45 minutes. the second fix would have taken no more than 2 hours. I brought the car in last Tuesday and still no one knows whats going on. I do not want to leave my car in the dealership because the last time i had my oil changed there it ended up all over my car and somehow in between my door panels too. I just wanted to share whats going on, just in case someone else hears something similar with their car. Also does anyone no if i can just come and pick my car up especially since nothing is being done. They are telling me they would rather me not drive my car like that, but the noise does not sound life threatening and i would rather keep it in my own garage until chevy comes up with some kind of plan. I understand that these issues occur in all cars and i in no way blame Chevy, it just sucks for me because i am that guy that switched over from BMWs and was preaching how reliable chevys are to all my friends and family members. In fact i had a review of a stingray vs 2015 sl550 coming and how my father thinks of switching to a stingray but now im a bit to embarrassed to even tell him its at the dealership. Anyone have this issue?
I have 2016 923mile I had it for letting over a week drove it a lot. and I have all kind of clicking sound. because its to low to the ground I think its impossible to don't make it make those noises.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:17 AM
c7v
Instructor

Originally Posted by HMA
I have 2016 923mile I had it for letting over a week drove it a lot. and I have all kind of clicking sound. because its to low to the ground I think its impossible to don't make it make those noises.
yeah i hear you, possible. I had cars this low to the ground before but i do not think this noise has anything to do with the ride height. It wasnt present when i purchased the car and its 100 percent NOT the bottom of the car rubbing against something. Its a mechanical noise that occurs when torque is applied and released and definitely would not be considered normal under any parameter. btw you should not have any clicking noise from a new car, if your talking about the ones eminating from the roof, thats also not normal.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I sure hope they figure it out for you. As to getting the car, absolutely. It's your car, you can get it whenever you want. Just tell them you want to keep it until they figure it out. I'd call first to let them close up anything they might have open although it's probably just sitting there.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2015, 11:35 AM
c7v
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
I sure hope they figure it out for you. As to getting the car, absolutely. It's your car, you can get it whenever you want. Just tell them you want to keep it until they figure it out. I'd call first to let them close up anything they might have open although it's probably just sitting there.

Good luck!
thank you, thats what i will do.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

CV outboard joint on half shaft.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Chevrolet Service=clueless
Old 09-28-2015, 12:12 PM
c7v
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racer86
CV outboard joint on half shaft.
Thank you, any info helps. Can you please eloborate? did you have the same issue?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:33 PM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Does it click when you rock the wheel when stationary (car on ground, hands either side of the tire and rock back and forth). Had a similar sounding problem on my C5. Convinced myself it was a CV joint going bad, turned out it just needed the axle nut re-torqued. Problem went away after that.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar issue on my 2005 C6. Turns out there was a problem with the wheel bearing nut backing off and it would create a clicking or clunking sound when starting out. I would suggest you have this nut checked to ensure it is at the right torque. If the C7 is like the C6 it's extremely important that this nut NOT be over torqued as that can damage the thread on the shaft.

This completely eliminated the noise on my car.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:42 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by c7v

Just a note that all cars have issues. I had an M3 before this and had to have it towed because it wouldn't start. Turned out a module was faulty that detected if the clutch pedal switch was pressed in, thus preventing the car from starting. I was fortunate that this happened at work and not on a trip or on some errand.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:49 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Unless I missed it you don't specify mileage but still, I doubt somewhat that it's bearing or bearing nut. If the C7 still has the same setup for rear axle nuts as the C6, it is very possible that this could happen per the above post by Fire, at any mileage. You don't mention the dealer or where you're located; if you did, someone might be able to point you to a good dealer vs. one that "paints" your car with oil while doing an oil change. If you're inclined, do a search on C6 Gen for "axle nut." There will be threads galore and if I recall correctly, the fix is/are new axle nuts (cheap), blue Loctite and torque wrench to 116 lb.ft.---and very easy to do. Good luck and come back on and tell us what the outcome/solution was.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:50 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Is the car at Kerbeck or a different dealership being serviced?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:50 PM
c7v
Instructor

Originally Posted by wbrands
Does it click when you rock the wheel when stationary (car on ground, hands either side of the tire and rock back and forth). Had a similar sounding problem on my C5. Convinced myself it was a CV joint going bad, turned out it just needed the axle nut re-torqued. Problem went away after that.
When stationary, no sound is heard. only time when giving gas and then letting go abruptly and also when the steering is etiher turned all the way to right or left and car creeps forward.

Originally Posted by AORoads
Unless I missed it you don't specify mileage but still, I doubt somewhat that it's bearing or bearing nut. If the C7 still has the same setup for rear axle nuts as the C6, it is very possible that this could happen per the above post by Fire, at any mileage. You don't mention the dealer or where you're located; if you did, someone might be able to point you to a good dealer vs. one that "paints" your car with oil while doing an oil change. If you're inclined, do a search on C6 Gen for "axle nut." There will be threads galore and if I recall correctly, the fix is/are new axle nuts (cheap), blue Loctite and torque wrench to 116 lb.ft.---and very easy to do. Good luck and come back on and tell us what the outcome/solution was.

thank you for the input, i dont even know how to approach this info, should i give it to the tech? The car has 4,000 miles is an a8, non z51. I am located in Brooklyn NY, the only chevy dealer here closed down and the only one thats left has a service bay that was probably built between 1940-1960. They lied to me about having a vette tech on staff, they introduced me to one and then was told that there is no specific tech and the most senior person would be working in my car. that senior tech took a ride with me and proceeded to tell me this sound is very similar to what he heard on the trailablazer 15+ years ago and doesnt have any idea how to fix.

Originally Posted by direct007
Is the car at Kerbeck or a different dealership being serviced?

Unfortunately kerbeck is 3 hours away from me and at one point i actually wanted to take the car to them but i called service 5 times on that monday and got through to no one.

Originally Posted by halt00
Just a note that all cars have issues. I had an M3 before this and had to have it towed because it wouldn't start. Turned out a module was faulty that detected if the clutch pedal switch was pressed in, thus preventing the car from starting. I was fortunate that this happened at work and not on a trip or on some errand.
you are absolutely right but when i had a problem with my bmw, i had an advisor call me 2-3 times a day to update me, provide info and explanations and kept me in the loop. Here i have to chase people down for days just to get a call back, then service advisors lie and say we called and left a message(cell phones nowadays do not delete voice mail, strange nothing in the call log or any message) and a general feeling like my car is a black hole where no one knows whats going on. I heard someone say before you arent only buying a car, your buying dealer service as well, im not a complainer so i figured i do not need coffee, bagels, new building with state of art facilities, a place for customers to wait, call back or anything that any normal human being should expect when purchasing something fairly expensive. that was a mistake.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-28-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in lower right hand corner of each post.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
At 380 miles(one week old) my Chevy dealer replaced the axle nuts as the right one was loose on my C6 Z06. They don't "re-torque" the nuts, they replace them if they are loose.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:02 PM
c7v
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
At 380 miles(one week old) my Chevy dealer replaced the axle nuts as the right one was loose on my C6 Z06. They don't "re-torque" the nuts, they replace them if they are loose.

The tech told me he would specifically re tighten. Im surprised he didn't top off my headlight fluid. This is my problem... i feel like everyone is pretending to be finding things out but they are doing nothing. Just got called the dealer my service rep hasn't been in for 2 days and noone else knows whats going on. So i asked to speak to an old service representative and she told me my car is assembled and is just sitting there, i can come in and pick it up. NO PROBLEM WAS SOLVED. she just said when chevy tells us what to do we can have you bring the car in. Im shocked.

Last edited by c7v; 09-28-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:10 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I suggest calling your salesman at Kerbeck and explain the issue and have him get service to get in touch with you. Due to the huge number of cars they service, there is a good chance they've seen this issue and perhaps could give your servicing dealer some pointers.

Get notified of new replies

To Car is in service, Chevy has no idea whats wrong.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Obviously, not only is Joe correct about NOT re-torqueing axle nuts, but your "tech" is incorrect, too. That said, now that we know you're in Brooklyn, you do have choices. You may have to drive a little to the Island, but at least you have some good choices. Knowing there is a "north" and "south" portions of Brooklyn accessing the Island, all I can suggest are the following dealerships: Atlantic Chev. in Bay Shore. In the past, Arnold (W. Babylon), 112 Chev (Medford) have been mentioned as well.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Poltergeist
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

A few hours drive for you but Paul Koerner is at Jackson Chevrolet in Middletown, CT.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:41 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: Car is in service, Chevy has no idea whats wrong.