Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014-2015 Removable Roof Panel Noise Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 05:24 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

No, the bulletin replaces the old style latches and pins (2014 and half or so of the 2015 MY) with the new style which are already on your 2016.

Originally Posted by martybmw
I have a 2016 Z06 and I have noticed if I drive somewhere and the car sits in the sun (90+) for a hour or so when I get back in the roof creeks a whole lot for about 10 minutes and then goes away. Will the Service Bulletin for this take care f this issue?
thanks
Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2016 ZO6 and the roof creaks. Even for 10 minutes is unacceptable for a car in that price range. The C7 was a whole new car except for 2 parts so the C6 roof problems should have gone away. They still haven't. GM Quality.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:02 AM
greatWh1te
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by martybmw
I have a 2016 Z06 and I have noticed if I drive somewhere and the car sits in the sun (90+) for a hour or so when I get back in the roof creeks a whole lot for about 10 minutes and then goes away. Will the Service Bulletin for this take care f this issue?
thanks
I have 2016 and the roof pops pretty bad. I tried O rings and the rear latch, but it seems that it really has to do with the front striker and pins. The noise goes away if I open one of the front latches. Next I will try the bicycle tire/tube trick and see if that helps. We really need a vendor to come up with an appropriate sized pin that works better in this assembly.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:23 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

What you need is GM to fix their problem instead of owners putting scraps of bicycle tires in their roofs. Classy GM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

I would take the car to the dealer and have them take a look at it. Maybe adjusting the strikers will help. See post #56 in this thread.

My 16 has had no noise at all. I have a standard roof with the new white style pins . I also have an early 2015 transparent roof with black pins. Even the black pinned roof does not make noise on my 2016.

Originally Posted by greatWh1te
I have 2016 and the roof pops pretty bad. I tried O rings and the rear latch, but it seems that it really has to do with the front striker and pins. The noise goes away if I open one of the front latches. Next I will try the bicycle tire/tube trick and see if that helps. We really need a vendor to come up with an appropriate sized pin that works better in this assembly.

Last edited by Boiler_81; 08-03-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:52 PM
greatWh1te
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
I would take the car to the dealer and have them take a look at it. Maybe adjusting the strikers will help. See post #56 in this thread.

My 16 has had no noise at all. I have a standard roof with the new white style pins . I also have an early 2015 transparent roof with black pins. Even the black pinned roof does not make noise on my 2016.
Thanks for the info. I think the striker is misaligned anyway as it has always been difficult to get the roof on as the pins don't really line up that well and I have to really pull it down to get it in. I wonder if there is just too much contact between the two.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:04 PM
greatWh1te
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Boiler_81

Well mine is officially fixed. Thanks to this kind sir's suggestion of adjusting the strikers. It was the last thing I tried. I was going to just take the drivers side pin off and leave it off. When I put the roof back in without the pin I was shocked at how little effort there was to close it. I took the stuff off of the header lowered the striker on both sides and it completely resolved my issue. If you are continuing to struggle with noise I highly reccomend lowering the strikers slightly. I'm so happy it's silent!!!
Old 08-06-2016, 06:33 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Great!, I'm glad it worked for you.

Originally Posted by greatWh1te
Well mine is officially fixed. Thanks to this kind sir's suggestion of adjusting the strikers. It was the last thing I tried. I was going to just take the drivers side pin off and leave it off. When I put the roof back in without the pin I was shocked at how little effort there was to close it. I took the stuff off of the header lowered the striker on both sides and it completely resolved my issue. If you are continuing to struggle with noise I highly reccomend lowering the strikers slightly. I'm so happy it's silent!!!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Why can't GM figure this out?
Old 08-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

The dealer did mine under my warranty and low and behold NO Noise.
Now it just has to cool enough for my to take the top out and not fry.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:39 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I tried to innertube fix today but didn't have innertube. So what I did was I had some foam packing that came with my A&A supercharger and cut 1 inch squares then inserted them. Now zero noise even on hundred degree day sitting in the sun all day. Very happy camper. And I was just dreading having to take my car to the dealer, I hate taking my car to the dealer.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:05 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

After about 29k miles - my transparent top started making noise. Had the tsb done and it's 10x worse. It groans, creeks and pops constantly.

I can replicate the noise (with the handle in the locked position) by moving it up and down. Also by putting my hand on the handle I can feel it move, pop and flex when driving.

I thought the handle was loose - and I took it into a dealership over the labor day holiday. I was told that the handle bolt couldn't be tightened anymore and the handle itself was defective.

I was looking to all the home remedies (o-rings, striker adjustment, lube, bike inner tube)., but I'll take it to the dealer in a few days and give them another crack at it.

In the meantime I have a couple of microfiber towels stuffed in the top and tangeled in the strikers - which helps quite a bit.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:30 PM
wjresq
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
After about 29k miles - my transparent top started making noise. Had the tsb done and it's 10x worse. It groans, creeks and pops constantly.

I can replicate the noise (with the handle in the locked position) by moving it up and down. Also by putting my hand on the handle I can feel it move, pop and flex when driving.

I thought the handle was loose - and I took it into a dealership over the labor day holiday. I was told that the handle bolt couldn't be tightened anymore and the handle itself was defective.

I was looking to all the home remedies (o-rings, striker adjustment, lube, bike inner tube)., but I'll take it to the dealer in a few days and give them another crack at it.

In the meantime I have a couple of microfiber towels stuffed in the top and tangeled in the strikers - which helps quite a bit.

See my post #134. The problem is that the new pins are the same diameter as the old pins and rub the strikers, which causes the noise. My dealership never could align the strikers to eliminate the noise so I turned the creaking pin down on a lathe. No more noise. If you don't own a lathe, take the pins to a local machine shop and have them do it. It's less hassle than the dealership.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:02 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

See post number 209.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 PM
KevinSun
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Nearly 6 months and no issues with the $1.50 fix!

Here I am at the end of September and the PVC tape is still on the pegs.

No noise what so ever.

I have had the top on an off a few times over the summer.

Easy, inexpensive fix.

Originally Posted by KevinSun
Got tired of waiting for my dealer to get back to me with a date. Looked at the pegs and there is a visible wear spot on each.

Put two wraps of black electricians tape (3/4" PVC tape) around each peg. Each piece about 1.5" long.

$1.50 for a roll of tape at Home Depot.

Two weeks now with temperatures from 25C (77F) and 0C (32F) and no noise.

I still want the right pegs but the noise is no longer driving me, or my passengers, crazy.

Last edited by KevinSun; 09-14-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:40 PM
Phantomvette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drummer33
I had the dealer order the parts and install the new pins at no charge. GM is paying for this fix.
Hi, just wondering how long the dealer took to do this with the new pins? I have a dealer here that is telling me 2 days for what looks like a 1 hour job. Same dealer that overfilled my oil on the last oil change, so I am checking. Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantomvette
Hi, just wondering how long the dealer took to do this with the new pins? I have a dealer here that is telling me 2 days for what looks like a 1 hour job. Same dealer that overfilled my oil on the last oil change, so I am checking. Thanks in advance
I dropped off mine at 8:00 am for oil change and roof upgrade, got the call around 11:00 that it was ready.
The following users liked this post:
Phantomvette (09-15-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 2014-2015 Removable Roof Panel Noise Bulletin

Old 09-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Phantomvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by chefcg1
I tried to innertube fix today but didn't have innertube. So what I did was I had some foam packing that came with my A&A supercharger and cut 1 inch squares then inserted them. Now zero noise even on hundred degree day sitting in the sun all day. Very happy camper. And I was just dreading having to take my car to the dealer, I hate taking my car to the dealer.
This dealer I had order the parts is saying 1-2 days to do this when the bulletin shows .6 hours. I think they just want me to leave the car so they can experiment. Last oil change was overfilled and they tried to tell me its ok. Drove home slowly and made them drain early next morning to the proper level. This is on the 2015 Z51.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:06 PM
Phantomvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gio's C7
I dropped off mine at 8:00 am for oil change and roof upgrade, got the call around 11:00 that it was ready.
Thanks for the quick reply. Time to call another dealer.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:11 AM
9ball1104
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The TSB fixed my 2015. I might hear the roof shift once after cooling down after being in the hot sun but the sound is hardly annoying and I can certainly live with that. Before that the creaking would spoil most outings. Now I'm all smiles. Less than 2% of cars sold nationally are convertibles. The only time I've had my roof off was to try to fix it. Chevy if your listing make the removable roof an option or better yet just get rid of it and we'll all be smiling.

Last edited by 9ball1104; 10-08-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014-2015 Removable Roof Panel Noise Bulletin