Sponsored by:

Performance Data Recorder (PDR) Chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 05:06 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

This feels more like a typical First World problem. I guess if GM included the $14 SD card, then we would have all be having a $70,014 + car instead, perhaps even more. If GM did include a basic card, there is a corresponding cost to be passed on to the buyer. Perhaps GM could offer an extra cost RPO code with a selection of sizes to those who want to buy it, but I would bet you could still get them cheaper than what GM would charge from WallyWorld or Amazon.

GM took a lot of flack for bundling in the PDR with the nav - there are those who wanted the nav and were not so excited about the PDR but they didn't have a choice. Those folks certainly wouldn't be interested in paying additional for a factory-provided card for something they didn't want in the first place. Thus GM leaves that decision on whether to buy/pay for a card to the buyer, and IMO that is a good thing.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
To answer the question posed in your original post, yes, everyone buying a new 2015 or 2016 Corvette with the PDR received it without an SD card installed. Knowing that there are many SD card sizes available, I am glad that I was able to install the particular size that I wanted to use in my wife's 2015 and that I didn't wind up with another SD card laying around that I do not need. You would think that most people would already have several SD cards at his or her disposal. Maybe GM thought the same.
Thanks for the info. I have an extra SD card, and I already installed it. Works fine.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:42 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,518 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Dracla
Thanks for the info. I have an extra SD card, and I already installed it. Works fine.
Great!
Old 10-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

My car came with a couple of USB ports. Where are my thumbdrives or better yet ipod?
Old 10-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Dracia you asked a reasonable question and I agree with you. The 3LT Preferred Equipment Grp on my car list for $9,450. Features included Performance Data and Video Recorder. (PDR) Owner manual has 6 pages devoted to it's operation and use of a SD card but does not say whether or not it is provided. It is not a used car AS IS deal but a new C7 with MSRP 70K+. I did not know a required SD Card does not come with PDR unless the car is museum delivery. You are certainly entitled to suggest it should.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Dracia you asked a reasonable question and I agree with you. The 3LT Preferred Equipment Grp on my car list for $9,450. Features included Performance Data and Video Recorder. (PDR) Owner manual has 6 pages devoted to it's operation and use of a SD card but does not say whether or not it is provided. It is not a used car AS IS deal but a new C7 with MSRP 70K+. I did not know a required SD Card does not come with PDR unless the car is museum delivery. You are certainly entitled to suggest it should.
It was truly only a suggestion. I do understand why a USB port does not have a memory stick, but I assumed (incorrectly) that a 3LT for almost 10K that included a PDR would also include a very inexpensive SD card. It doesn't. My bad.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:45 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm glad it DOESN'T come with one. No auto manufacturer just gives hardware away, so they would've charged us 3 times the price for the card than what you would pay at Best Buy. Your $70,000 Corvette would've been a $70,100 Corvette with a measly 16gb card.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:08 AM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

You got a full tank of gas. Should have asked for a half tank, taken the money and bought a mem card.

Rumor has it windshield wipers won't be on the 2017's.
But will be an option. Regular wipers will be $50 a pair. The high speed aero wipers will be $125, and the Z07 (track attack) racing wipers will be $275...each(they will be carbon fiber).
Old 10-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
If GM included everything item people have thought they should and upgraded all the materials, the car would cost significantly more.... The car is a bargain when compared to the competition.

and then there's the complaint you'd see if the PDR came with the memory card...

"car came with PDR; won't be using it. GM added $xx to the price of the option to include a SD card I won't be using. GM Sucks !!!"

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 10-05-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:45 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Now that is a really stupid comment. Any chip at all would do, but apparently they chose not to even put in a very small one. Go figure. I guess GM makes more money that way.
On any device I've ever purchased that came with a memory card (back in the days when that used to be common) I pretty much universally ended up throwing out the card that came with it and buying a larger one.

Also see: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vy-dealer.html
Old 10-05-2015, 03:23 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Boy oh Boy!! Reading some of these posts and I'm amazed that a few posters seem to have their heads so far up GM's butt you can barely see their shoes.

GM is far from perfect. If they come up short, that's the nature of the beast.

I went through a showroom of about 35 brand new Corvettes and EVERY ONE of them had some level of Orange Peel. They DO have a paint problem.

They're not including a memory card because they don't want to give you one. If they did, one would come with the car. That's who they are!!! My new Phantom 3 drone actually came with a memory card. That's who they are. (no orange peel either )
Old 10-05-2015, 06:44 PM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

There was one in mine when I picked it up. I had to spend $995 for museum delivery, an additional $1,000 or two on airfare, hotel and rental car and gas for the drive back.

Wanna trade?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:57 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 427bob
Boy oh Boy!! Reading some of these posts and I'm amazed that a few posters seem to have their heads so far up GM's butt you can barely see their shoes.

GM is far from perfect. If they come up short, that's the nature of the beast.

I went through a showroom of about 35 brand new Corvettes and EVERY ONE of them had some level of Orange Peel. They DO have a paint problem.

They're not including a memory card because they don't want to give you one. If they did, one would come with the car. That's who they are!!! My new Phantom 3 drone actually came with a memory card. That's who they are. (no orange peel either )
Congratulations on your Phantom 3 drone. Let's give you a multiple-choice test.

1. When normal people see my red Z06 convertible, they come up to me or roll down their window and say:

A. "Look at all that orange peel. GM ought to be ashamed of itself."
B. "My Phantom 3 drone has no orange peel."
C. "My Phantom 3 drone came with a memory card."
D. Some variation of "That's a nice car, sir!" "I like your car!" "Please tell me that's yours!" [texted with a picture of my car] wherever I go.

2. People prefer the exhaust note of:

A. a Phantom 3 drone
B. a Z06 exceeding 3500rpm

Enjoy your Phantom 3 drone and your wait for the new paint shop while I enjoy my Z06. You're totally missing out.
The following 2 users liked this post by HolyRoller:
Boiler_81 (10-07-2015), Woodson (10-07-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 10:52 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

LOL. In the OP just asked a simple question. I did not mean to start an intellectual exchange with someone ill equipped to participate. And by the way, you must have noticed that the best card costs less than a half a tank of gas. So it is not now and never has been about the money. It is the thought that counts.
I kind of agree but look at it from a little different perspective. I ask how a sales people could demonstrate the functionality of the PDR without the card. But then again, most sales people don't know what PDR stands for.

Quick Reply: Performance Data Recorder (PDR) Chip